70s Industrial steam

2 hours ago, TomJ said:

It’s the land sale yard - where the colliery sold coal directly. The structures were some kind of shelter, I’ve never seen them anywhere else 

The only other place I've seen such canopies was at Walworth Road, at an LMS-owned coal depot. Having been brought up near Brynlliw, I would suggest that those canopies afford scant protection against the local weather.

• Agree 1

On 21/10/2019 at 19:09, montyburns56 said:

Kearsley Power Station 1982

Kearsley Power Station

Now to some of the less well informed members of the forum these pictures might seem off topic    *ahem*

Kearsley Power Station 1970s

Kearsley power station, 1972 Kearsley power station CEGB loco shunting 1970's Kearsley power station CEGB loco 1970's Kearsley Electric Locos Number 3 and 4 - 10th August, 1975 Electrics at Kearsley

4 Kearsley Power Station 26/9/1979 Kearsley Power Station

CEGB Electric Loco No.3 - Kearsley Power Station. at Kearsley Power Station 1980

Hi Monty,

First off, apologies to all for being off topic but the above post reminds me that I really ought to pull my finger out and finish my Kearsley models !

Has any one else modelled any of the locomotives featured in this thread ? I do quite like some of the fire-less locomotives shewn.

DSCF0622.JPG.fadb45e2516df8e5cc8a974e18919e11.JPG

No. 1 and No.2

DSCF0623.JPG.553766f476f397d3eddcba6e62710813.JPG

No.1's bogies

DSCF0610.JPG.830494a4f101941c02beb77b409e1fe5.JPG

No. 2 in N gauge, unpowered.

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

19 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Monty,

First off, apologies to all for being off topic but the above post reminds me that I really ought to pull my finger out and finish my Kearsley models !

Has any one else modelled any of the locomotives featured in this thread ? I do quite like some of the fire-less locomotives shewn.

Funnily enough I had a bunch of pictures of fireless locos bookmarked that I was going to post in a batch so....

Monsanto Chemicals, Newport in June 1972

This one has a GM power plant inside.....

IndSt16

Taylor's Lane Power Station on 24th September 1970.

Northmet Fireless CEGB Taylor's Lane Power Station, Neasden 1970-0194A

And here's your next modelling project.....

Taylor's Lane Power Station

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Funnily enough I had a bunch of pictures of fireless locos bookmarked that I was going to post in a batch so....

Monsanto Chemicals, Newport in June 1972

This one has a GM power plant inside.....

IndSt16

Taylor's Lane Power Station on 24th September 1970.

Northmet Fireless CEGB Taylor's Lane Power Station, Neasden 1970-0194A

And here's your next modelling project.....

Taylor's Lane Power Station

Well, if this is your 'next modelling project'

'

Try Julian Wynn at .... http://taffvale.wales/index.php ......as he now markets the former Derek Mundy kit of the Greenwod & Batley 4wBE.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

On 19/11/2019 at 09:25, clachnaharry said:

These are fantastic pictures, but I what is the activity we are seeing?  What is the purpose of the structures?

The area is the Landsale Yard; this supplied coal to local merchants and concessionary coal for current and retired miners. The shelters are a half-hearted attempt to keep the worst of the rain off the people unloading wagons; from experience of the weather around there, they wouldn't be of much use. A schoolfriend's father used to work as a wagon painter at Morlais (directly opposite, on the other side of the Llwchwr); this pit was worked from Brynlliw in latter years.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, doilum said:

Why did fireless  locos tend to have the cylinders under the cab end?

Can't find the reference now, but I believe it's to do with keeping the pipe runs short from the controls to the cylinders. 

(Whilst most British and European ones follow this pattern, some American ones, made by Davenport have the cylinders at the front.)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1