70s Industrial steam

18 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

A nice find and it has highlighted a few locations that I was not aware of such as these at Ladysmith Colliery in Whitehaven.

Tip Run at Haig

Midsummer Idyll Spoil Tipping Job 'King' and 'Stanley' at Haig Colliery, Whitehaven The King of Ladysmith

'Revenge' at Ladysmith Washery 'Revenge' at Ladysmith Washery Whitehaven Harbour

Check out the wheels on the tipper wagons!

Seeking Revenge

This 1970 picture at Howgill Brake Shunt, Whitehaven is full of atmosphere

Howgill Brake Shunt

Fabulous pictures.

I have my own theory about the "Hudson" tippers.  Suddenly built in large numbers for newly nationalised industries under post war austerity, they recycled wheels and buffers from condemned pow wagons. It wasn't unusual to find examples with mismatched wheels or buffers as my own rake illustrate.

IMG_20191130_143041.jpg

Edited by doilum
Missing photo
  • Like 5

On 21/11/2019 at 19:04, montyburns56 said:

Empire Paper Mill, Greenhithe 1971

Empire Paper Mill, Greenhithe Empire Paper Mill, Greenhithe Empire Paper Mills Fireless Empire Paper Mill Barclays on the Quay Metamorphosed Barclay German Interloper in Kent

And their replacement....

Empire Paper Mill Ruston

Fifth and Sixth pictures down - a very odd-looking beast indeed. Obviously no longer steam-powered as there are no piston rods, crossheads or con rods. Some sort of conversion to diesel power, perhaps, with the cylinders retained to keep up the weight and balance? From what's left of it I'd say it was a small Barclay, maybe a 12-inch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Fifth and Sixth pictures down - a very odd-looking beast indeed. Obviously no longer steam-powered as there are no piston rods, crossheads or con rods. Some sort of conversion to diesel power, perhaps, with the cylinders retained to keep up the weight and balance? From what's left of it I'd say it was a small Barclay, maybe a 12-inch.

Gordon's caption says:

If you thought the Arthur Koppel fireless at this works was unusual, this locomotive probably beats it. '3' was a former Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST (works No.2167 of 1946) rebuilt as an 0-4-0DH by W.R. Cunis at Empire Paper Mill, Greenhithe. Seen on the quayside alongside the River Thames on 21st April 1971.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/11/2019 at 19:57, montyburns56 said:

A few more of the Howgill incline

Whitehaven Howgill Incline 1970 enlargment s486

What is happening by that bridge across the incline ?  is it a pair of runaway wagons, or is one being loaded there ?

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Calm your self young man !

Have a look at the link provided once calm:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.5492&lon=-3.5962&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Gibbo.

Thanks to this thread, I've been having a good look at this area.  The incline and infrastructure in the photos are a much later installation then that shown on the map (which is dated 1892-1914)

Here is a later version, dated 1944 - 1967:  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.5483&lon=-3.5936&layers=170&right=BingHyb (if it works!)

19 hours ago, DLT said:

Thanks to this thread, I've been having a good look at this area.  The incline and infrastructure in the photos are a much later installation then that shown on the map (which is dated 1892-1914)

Here is a later version, dated 1944 - 1967:  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.5483&lon=-3.5936&layers=170&right=BingHyb (if it works!)

Yeah, you've highlighted the fact that they must have straightened the incline at a later date which is surprising for this type of obsolete infrastructure.

8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Is this the same incline that served Albright & Wilson's Marchon plant?

While trying to find out more info on the Howgill Incline I found a section of one of Gordon Edgars books that says that traffic to the Marchon plant initially used the Howgill Incline, as the Corkickle Brake had been abandoned, but it became so congested that they reinstated the Corkickle in 1955 and used that until 1986.

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, figworthy said:

What is happening by that bridge across the incline ?  is it a pair of runaway wagons, or is one being loaded there ?

Adrian

It is in fact a tunnel not a bridge and yes that's a pair of wagons that have had an accident. One of the austerity locos at Haig Colliery, 'Weasel' ran away over the top of the incline and ended up in a similar position, it did work again. This is the Howgill Brake ( Incline) the other one, in use until 1984, was the Corkickle Brake (Incline) which was latterly used by Marchon Products. It was originally built to serve Croft and then Ladysmith Colliery and Coke ovens. The Howgill Brake in the photos was a replacement for an earlier Brake that was built to take cauldron wagons down to the harbour. This earlier incline is still visible(so far as I know) from the Harbour.

• Thanks 1