alco c 415

kevo

Hi all . can any one offer some advice . i have a Mehano ho scale alco c 415 and i would like to know . if any one has converted  one to DCC . if so was it a simple hard wire in job . ? or can any one advise on a replacment chassi  for one of thease  . and lastly is there a sound decoder for a alco C 415 on the market . thanks  kevin.

T154-29887-SAS_3251677_Qty1_2.jpg

• Like 1

As it doesn't appear to have traction tyres, I'm guessing it's the 1980s version with the big motor. It should be relatively simple to install a wired decoder (or socket) but it would be worth checking how much current the motor draws under load before choosing one.

Here is one method of replacing the mech with a Kato U25.

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/36663

Cheers

David

HI thanks all for replys . thats really helpful infomation  . Ithink easyest  option is a decoder  1st off . i did for one mad min think a bachman alco s4 chassi  might fit  untill i took the body shell of the  mehanao  one far to short .  thanks david  ive been reading through yr reply and that gives me the option of looking out  for a  kato u 25  cheers kevin . its a shame that one of the bigger producers like atlas or newer arthearn or even Bachmann didnt take up makeing  one but i guess its not excautly  a popular model 

17 hours ago, mdvle said:

I have sound decoders from ESU; I think the quality of the sound is very good. Just my opinion of course.

• Agree 1

I like Alcos.

I like centre cabs.

I need a C415!

I am also a big fan of ESU decoders, I think the sounds are really really good and the motor control is the best out there. My opinion of course but I have tried other makes and ESU always come out best.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

Thanks to long island Jack   for the U tube clip . that was great  i have seen some footage of the alco's on the Ohio River  terminals but not that one excellent stuff .  and thanks Russ that where you say similar sound  to a 33 reminds me i have in the past   had a couple of Hornby TTS sound decoders layin around and untill i have brought a more expensive decoder used them in some of my american  locos . so to purist's out there i can only apologies . a MP 1500 ened up with a class 20 decoder in it temporary . strangely in my view it sounded and quite suited the looks of the loco . and as i am confessing all i allso tried a tts class 31 in a murphy models 141 class . ok i hear you say  that man needs treatment . but if you doint have the spare money at the time where's the harm . 

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

have ing placed this project on the back burner for some time . i couldnt resisit another go haveing re read through this thread again i might have come up with a possible replacement chassi i needed somethink with the same wheel base and i had a Bachmann class 20 its a dam good match  but thats as far as i have now got ile keep u posted 

• Like 1