This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 5 - 'The Sky's the Limit'

• Moderators

Saturday 05 Oct  8pm - 9:20pm Channel 5

Radio Times is not showing much preview text yet.

SUMMARY

The fifth and concluding heat sees three more teams of the UK's most talented railway modellers compete for a place in the semi-finals, with judges Kathy Millat and Steve Flint challenge them to incorporate miniature aerial acrobatics, towering peaks and space travel into their miniature model railway builds.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Saturday 12 Oct  8pm - 9:20pm Channel 5

Radio Times is not showing much preview text yet.

RT now on the stands reads as follows:

Unusually in such genial competition (moved unceremoniously from its usual home on Friday), there's tension between team members in the final heat. "We're falling behind time!" says a worried captain. "It will be ready when it's ready", says a modeller, with barely concealed annoyance. But even little spats like this do little to ruffle the cheery calm as Team Grantham, the Railway Sleepers and Muddle and Go Nowhere build layouts on the theme of "The Sky's the Limit".

There are too many weak and smutty puns from the presenters, but forget them and take delight in a model parabolic telescope. [Alison Graham]

Team Grantham? That would be us then! I might at one stage have said something about falling behind? If I did, then it will have added to the drama the production team so craved.

Alison Graham certainly likes the programme and has unfailingly given it a plug each week. Good for her!

Win or lose, we were proud of the layout we built (which is destined for an exhibition future). Can't wait to see how it comes across on the programme.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Pat Doyle the producer emailed us to tell us about the schedule change. Channel 5 wanted to see if the show will do better against strictly than it's been doing against the soaps. It's getting about a million views, so not too bad. They obviously needed the big guns from heat 5 to mount a challenge in the Saturday spot however!

I think the comment referenced by RT was from the Railway Sleepers...

We're looking forward to seeing how we (Team Muddle and Go Nowhere) are portrayed. The layout has already had its own trailer and features in the opening credits, so we know how it looks on TV, so we're waiting on the editing now!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, noiseboy72 said:

Pat Doyle the producer emailed us to tell us about the schedule change. Channel 5 wanted to see if the show will do better against strictly than it's been doing against the soaps. It's getting about a million views, so not too bad. They obviously needed the big guns from heat 5 to mount a challenge in the Saturday spot however!

I think the comment referenced by RT was from the Railway Sleepers...

We're looking forward to seeing how we (Team Muddle and Go Nowhere) are portrayed. The layout has already had its own trailer and features in the opening credits, so we know how it looks on TV, so we're waiting on the editing now!!

I await with baited breath too ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

And you've misspelled GMRC on the cover ;-)

I didn't. :D

That's down to our Dept. of Missing the Obvious.  Someone will be getting a call from the Head of Better on Monday morning. 

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

You're saying heads up in the thread for epsiode 5 which starts with:-

On 03/10/2019 at 12:05, AY Mod said:

Saturday 12 Oct  8pm - 9:20pm Channel 5

Might pay to read this thread from the first post.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction
  • Like 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, traction said:

You're saying heads up in the thread for epsiode 5 which starts with:-

Might pay to read this thread from the first post.

Cheers

Ian

Now edited. The post was prepared whilst there was ambiguity over screen dates.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

We have an interview with Team Grantham in the new issue of BRM.

Yes, was a pleasure to host Howard Smith & Debbie Wood to team HQ and was a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon, reliving our GMRC Heat 5 experience. Looking forward to my sub. copy hitting the mat.

Will be able to comment a lot more and post an odd photo or two this time tomorrow.

• Like 3

Having now watched four of the five heats (looking forward to the fifth tonight) I am a little sad that the editing of the episodes doesn’t show enough of the excellent modelling skills that are only  glimpsed. A slow panoramic sweep across each finished layout would have been appreciated by all of us viewers I think. Having said that .. it has been really enjoyable. 

• Agree 7

On 04/10/2019 at 06:58, noiseboy72 said:

And there's nothing like changing the broadcast day of your show for increasing your viewing figures. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/10/2019 at 17:19, AY Mod said:

I didn't. :D

That's down to our Dept. of Missing the Obvious.  Someone will be getting a call from the Head of Better on Monday morning. 

2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I'll be writing the BRM synopsis as usual. Having spent the afternoon at the Solihull beer festival won't affect me I'm sure...

2 + 2 ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5