This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 5 - 'The Sky's the Limit'

On 04/10/2019 at 13:27, AY Mod said:

We have an interview with Team Grantham in the new issue of BRM.

Nov2019.jpg

Looking forward to especially this edition, know Bewdley Station very well and the interview will be a very interesting  read I'm sure...!

Regards

Bob

Although not a fan of space layouts.  Once again  three great layouts.  I think the quality of layouts this series has been better than the first. No doubt partly as people who saw what worked last year.

Well done to both layouts that got through.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Did anyone notice the error in the after the second set of scores for muddle and go nowhere it read 17 then went to 15 but the other scores for them didn't change

This was mentioned on the thread for previous shows, the scores are provisional and can be revised by the judges if things go better... or worse!

Best layout won in my mind, I prefer the more grounded in reality approach although I can see why other teams went with a more off-world look. Team Grantham deserved the 2x 10s on the scoreboard. Faultless performing, shunting too :) and a convincing rocket launch to finish. :yes:

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Did anyone notice the error in the after the second set of scores for muddle and go nowhere it read 17 then went to 15 but the other scores for them didn't change

Oh yes, the team noticed...

We're all watching it together as a team - and laughing at ourselves. Really proud of what we created.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

This was mentioned on the thread for previous shows, the scores are provisional and can be revised by the judges if things go better... or worse!

Best layout won in my mind, I prefer the more grounded in reality approach although I can see why other teams went with a more off-world look. Team Grantham deserved the 2x 10s on the scoreboard. Faultless performing, shunting too :) and a convincing rocket launch to finish. :yes:

Yes i I know about the scores being revised, but none of there other scores changed only the total

There was certainly some impressive modelling on show this evening. Once again I correctly predicted the winner, so I'm pleased that the judges share my impeccable taste :)

Quite apart from the fact that it all ran flawlessly, I was impressed that the Alpine layout included actual shunting and meaningful train movements rather than just running things round in a circle. Like yesterday's Dutch flood layout, this was probably closer to what I'd expect to see at an exhibition than many of the other layouts in the competition. But this time, the purists' layout won. Which was pleasing.

That said, the other layouts were impressive, too. And the runners up deservedly got the "best runner up" slot for the semis. It's amusing that we've had two different layouts with a War of the Worlds theme in this series.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Phew! Glad that's over ... thanks for comments so far.

Well done to M&GN and Railway Sleepers as between us we seemed to conjure up the highest-scoring heat. We were subsequently told that we had scored the highest of all the heat layouts and that we scored a perfect 10 for functionality. However, didn't know about the other 10 for build quality; made up about that so take a bow Paul, Tom and Richie who worked their magic on the blank scenic canvas. Andrew's wizardry soldering pieces of N gauge rail has already been (deservedly) well highlighted.

I have a comprehensive sequence of pictures of the build from the bare boards first arriving to taking part at Fawley Hill. Happy to post some of these but I'll be holding a few back for the BRM guys as there's talk of a further article after the one in the issue about to come out. I've also taken some pictures of the layout with continental stock on, as a conversation with 'Stern Steve' led to a slant on the layout for Continental Modeller, no less!

• Like 11

Definitely the best layout won but the runner up also richly deserved its wild card place and all three were good layouts. This fifth heat was clearly also the last to be recorded else they wouldn't have been able award the wild card on camera during the end of the heat. I wonder if that was pure chance or if the producers had a sense of the relative strengths of all fifteen teams when they were scheduling the heats.

I really loved the Grantham's radio telescope, I know it was a prebuld but that's that's a superb piece of modelling by any standards and if you've been to Jodrell Bank you'll know how authentic it looked. It was also good to see some shunting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

That radio telescope wow, something to be proud of

Oh, alright then - here it is in situ

DSC08629_crop.JPG.b5430c8304ab7a59a03b7be063bf7d03.JPG

As was apparent, this was one of our six pre-build items. You can spend as long as you want on a pre-build in the time before the filming dates but it has to be part of the ordered items / budget. In fact, as Andrew described, the structure was built out of scrap N gauge rail (ie zero cost). He did buy the reflector especially - apparently it is a true parabolic shape so would truly reflect the rays to the receiver. It runs on a circle of track which was a yard of Code 75 which I had to hand. It is powered by a spare 4-wheeled tram bogie which is hidden under the box (Andrew's speciality is tramway modelling - he is the builder of Whitburn Corporation Tramways, which has been on the exhibition circuit for 25 years or more). He took great delight in making the other three bogies with wheels orientated radially. The motor for tilting the reflector is a recycled motor from a kit built loco. So scratchbuilding in its most delightful sense.

But for goodness sake don't go on about it too much - I'll never hear the last of it from him...

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Right, the synopsis is now live:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/reviews/Others/the-great-model-railway-challenge-series-2-heat-5-the-skys-the

I'm especially pleased with the final screenshot - filename steveboogie.jpg

Good synopsis Phil but a couple of slight errors, the heading of "The Railway Sleepers – Plant XVI" should be planet ;) and for some reason the scoreboard is wrong....

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Good synopsis Phil but a couple of slight errors, the heading of "The Railway Sleepers – Plant XVI" should be planet ;) and for some reason the scoreboard is wrong....

Thanks - Fixed the Planet, but the scoreboard is a screen shot. I think they cut it short this time because of the extra winner so it's very hard to get a proper version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

It was announced at the end after the program

Handy is your recording machine does not tape the end of the program!! I thought tonights was a repeat of yesterday and sat down to watch the last 15 mins only yo go whats going on here!! Caught it on +1

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Handy is your recording machine does not tape the end of the program!! I thought tonights was a repeat of yesterday and sat down to watch the last 15 mins only yo go whats going on here!! Caught it on +1

I set my recorders (yes two, one satellite, one Freeview) to record everything I intend watching on series link, so even if I forget about it, the programme is waiting to be watched (assuming the numpties in charge put the right details into the datastream).

So far C5 have played the game and everypart of the show, including the end credits, has been recorded.