This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 5 - 'The Sky's the Limit'

• RMweb Gold

I am curious about the switch to Saturday night although I suspect no one here will know the answer however.

Is it an attempt to ensure a third series does not follow as I believe I have read some figures are down on the first series so by putting it up against the main Saturday night programs viewing figures are further affected. In my house strictly takes priority (well the wife does) so this program is relegated to catch up.

Or 

Has it been moved to Saturday night because it is popular therefore attracting more revenue from advertising. While figures may be down it may be more popular than what was previously in the Saturday night slot!

mark

14 minutes ago, Markwj said:

I am curious about the switch to Saturday night although I suspect no one here will know the answer however.

Is it an attempt to ensure a third series does not follow as I believe I have read some figures are down on the first series so by putting it up against the main Saturday night programs viewing figures are further affected. In my house strictly takes priority (well the wife does) so this program is relegated to catch up.

Or 

Has it been moved to Saturday night because it is popular therefore attracting more revenue from advertising. While figures may be down it may be more popular than what was previously in the Saturday night slot!

mark

The email from the production company suggested that Ch5 wanted to see if the program did better against Strictly than against Corrie and Eastenders. They further suggested it could move back if unsuccessful, but I think it unlikely for 3 episodes. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Or 

mark

This is the official reason, from Pat Doyle, the series producer:

"Channel 5 are keen to explore which slot works best for us - the theory being that we may do better against Strictly on Saturdays, than we do against Eastenders and Corrie on Fridays. They do experiments like this from time to time.

"Show 6 (semi final 1) is currently scheduled to go out on Saturday 12th - but if Saturdays aren’t as successful for us I can see them switching us back to Fridays for the remainder of the run."

So there you are. The programme makers themselves (KnickerbockergloryTV) have no control over what Channel 5 decide to do, but it does appear that the channel are otherwise well-disposed toward the programme and I'll be surprised if there isn't a series 3.

Apologies for repeat of post above - we were obviously typing at the same time!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Legend said:

what sort of backward community are they on Mars that use Radial Tanks, Fowler 4fs and a Coal Tank to shunt the rocket .

Part of what you didnt see explained this...

The idea behind the setting was that after the failed Martian invasion of earth in the late 19th century, that the human race then backward engineered the alien technology and mounted their own conquest of Mars. So the stock used reflected the period we though this all happened in c.1900 and what may have been taken to Mars.

Remember don't dwell on the historical accuracy, its all fantasy twaddle anyway, just enjoy silliness of it all ;)
Chris

MGNR

• Like 14

3 hours ago, whart57 said:

I wondered why all three teams had rockets and why no-one thought of something like "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" 

Our layout idea did start of with quite a sensible earth bound setting, however I suggested a Wallace and Gromit style trip to the moon and not long after we had arrived on Mars. So there was some sensible ideas, however...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, whart57 said:

But guys, you were a bit blatant about using Channel 5's money to buy stock for your own layouts .........

Sadly none of it any use me on cheap O gauge clockwork or blue plastic track Plarail (this was used to open the rocket shed door, so you can get other odd systems involved too)

Chris

MGNR

• Funny 1

One thing though - I seem to remember reading that in Series 1, one team had to come up with a new concept for their layout because the production company told them another team was doing the same thing. So far this year, in Episode 1 we had three very similar layouts, and in this most recent episode we've had two layouts set on Mars. Are the teams no longer advising the production company in advance as to what they're planning?

• Like 2

On the contrary, KBG had an approval system where you couldn't order your kit until your design was signed off by the producers. All team captains also had to submit their designs for the semifinal and final as well as there was a very short turn around for the later heats. Our design for Heat 4 was accepted by return of email - in fact the design preceded the formation of the team - but my designs for the semi and final were knocked back initially. One because I had interpreted the theme too literally ("we never expected anyone to take it literally" they said) and one because I had read the theme in a different way, and referenced something else completely. As we didn't get past the heat I can safely bin those designs ;-)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

in this most recent episode we've had two layouts set on Mars. Are the teams no longer advising the production company in advance as to what they're planning?

Only one layout was Mars, MGNR, and the other was Planet XVI, not quite sure where that was exactly. I'm sure the Railway Sleepers can comment on that. I understand we did have to submit our ideas for approval.

Chris

MGNR

Edited by Professor Yaffle
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

One thing though - I seem to remember reading that in Series 1, one team had to come up with a new concept for their layout because the production company told them another team was doing the same thing. So far this year, in Episode 1 we had three very similar layouts, and in this most recent episode we've had two layouts set on Mars. Are the teams no longer advising the production company in advance as to what they're planning?

I am not sure there was 2 layouts on Mars in Ep3. We were on Mars and the Sleepers on planet 16. 

With a theme of Out of this World / The sky's the limit, it was quite likely that layouts were going to be set on other worlds. I think all 3 layouts were very different in approach and presentation and with a large variety of modelling skills. The Sleeper's innovative use of laser cutting showed how raised track can be made rapidly and accurately and they brought in lots of elements. Team Grantham showed that using foam underlay still gives great looking results and makes for a very neat modelling and we used traditional techniques including ballasted trackwork and that did let us down in terms of the pause (it wasn't a de-railment) during the demonstration. We got a bit of crud in the point and as we had not wired in point polarity switches, there was a lack of continuity on the switched rail.  

There was plenty of communication between the production company, with sketches, treatments, track plans and lots of phone conversations prior to filming. 2 teams presenting layouts about War of the Worlds is possibly not a bad thing, with the BBC producing a new version later this year and Jeff Wayne's still pedaling his musical interactive London show. Our take was to be a sequel to the original book, with humans invading and colonising Mars using the alien's technology. We steampunked the  buildings and stock a little bit and felt the use of period turn of the century stock (With a little improvisation and cheating) added to the feel.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

.....in Series 1, one team had to come up with a new concept for their layout because the production company told them another team was doing the same thing.............

I'm sure there were three layouts in every episode of series one and two that all had track on them!...the production team must have missed that similarity :jester:

Edited by chuffinghell

This is a general question to everyone who participated in the Great Model Railway Challenge.  Was anyone else told that children could not attend the presentation because Knickerbockerglory is only licensed for over 18s? As some of you will know, I got into railway modelling because of my grandchildren and none of them were allowed to attend on the last day to watch our heat 3 presentation.   My family have just pointed out that episode 5 there were a number of children there watching.  Just wondering if the rules were changed as the series progressed. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, noiseboy72 said:

The email from the production company suggested that Ch5 wanted to see if the program did better against Strictly than against Corrie and Eastenders. They further suggested it could move back if unsuccessful, but I think it unlikely for 3 episodes. 

Well a friend would be upset as his friend got kicked out. She borrowed his car once for a TV segment. And yes he was on TV in the background.

All I know about Coronation Street is that Lister used to work there as did Captain Voorhese.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LocoLadies CF said:

This is a general question to everyone who participated in the Great Model Railway Challenge.  Was anyone else told that children could not attend the presentation because Knickerbockerglory is only licensed for over 18s? As some of you will know, I got into railway modelling because of my grandchildren and none of them were allowed to attend on the last day to watch our heat 3 presentation.   My family have just pointed out that episode 5 there were a number of children there watching.  Just wondering if the rules were changed as the series progressed. 

As our daughter was part of the team and  required a chaperone, they were licenced for our heat and subsequent appearances to have children present. There was a toilet set aside for them to use and higher levels of supervision. It took some negotiation though!!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, LocoLadies CF said:

Yes, there was 'no under 18s' rule for the demonstrations, which I thought was a bit disappointing. I assumed this was because of the presenter's risqué double-entendre material...

And then three little lads turned up who were transfixed by our rocket launch (they were standing right next to me as I was doing by narration and that was genuinely the look on their faces). 'Great!', I thought, as this is exactly the age group that we're trying to inspire.

One of the little lads came up to me afterwards and told me how much he'd enjoyed the rocket launch - turned out that he was the son of one of the KBG sound technicians so, presumably, that's 'allowed'?

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, noiseboy72 said:

As our daughter was part of the team and  required a chaperone, they were licenced for our heat and subsequent appearances to have children present. There was a toilet set aside for them to use and higher levels of supervision. It took some negotiation though!!

you will have no such problems at Mansfield - kids are positively encouraged :)  (as long as they bring along a few adults with cash LOL)

• Funny 4

Just now, RedgateModels said:

you will have no such problems at Mansfield - kids are positively encouraged :)  (as long as they bring along a few adults with cash LOL)

Great, that's the way it should be! One of our team members can also supply a huge Tomy Trains layout if you have space. The kids are encouraged to play with the cheap stuff running around the outside while the expensive and rarer stuff runs around the middle. 

It's noisy and chaotic, so don't put it next to any "proper" exhibitors... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, noiseboy72 said:

That explains it. Shame though as we had a number of disappointed grandkids who weren’t able to come and see it. Pleased to see you got through as the wildcard and really looking forward to seeing your semi final layout. 

• Agree 1

Yes, I hope if it gets another season they make it possible for kids to come along. They presented no problems at all during filming - in fact they were better behaved than the team members, who kept wandering off for a sit down between takes and had to be rounded up on a regular basis!

• Like 3