This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 5 - 'The Sky's the Limit'

On 06/10/2019 at 17:20, sir douglas said:

one little thing has annoyed me slightly. Tim saying he's been waiting for someone to cut into the board. we would have done it but we werent allowed to in the first season.

We (Missenden Modellers) were in the first season and we cut holes in our baseboard for the canal and the dock scene. If there was a rule about that we weren't aware of it. Oh. Errr. Um.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2019 at 14:26, LocoLadies CF said:

This is a general question to everyone who participated in the Great Model Railway Challenge.  Was anyone else told that children could not attend the presentation because Knickerbockerglory is only licensed for over 18s? As some of you will know, I got into railway modelling because of my grandchildren and none of them were allowed to attend on the last day to watch our heat 3 presentation.   My family have just pointed out that episode 5 there were a number of children there watching.  Just wondering if the rules were changed as the series progressed. 

Yes. I originally asked if my daughter (then 14) could join our team, as she is (was) really into model railways (then). I was told no-one under 18. For reasons of insurance. I later learnt that they made exceptions for the Railway Children team, some of whom were 17. I'm sure the bar will be progressively lowered as the series develops and pressure builds. It would be nice, perhaps, to see a 'junior' episode, as a special and maybe with mentors to help each team and make sure none gets derailed. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 08/10/2019 at 17:24, Grumpold said:

Hi all, I am Martin and I was a member of the Railway Sleepers team.  We knew that we were the outsiders from the start, only 3 of our team being familiar with model railways.  But all 6 of us are also avid wargamers so this is where the model building skills come from.  We are used to building gaming tables full of scenery.  Nevertheless we missed out by just 1 point and fair play to the Muddle team who by winning the scratch build challenge (=2 points) overtook us.  A couple to things.  First taking part is fantastic fun.  It is lovely to build your layout at home or at the club but it is totally different doing that in a competition.  You just cannot compare one with the other.  It is a TV format, it is not a guide to building your own layout at home.  You need to get on with it and you have to live with the choices you made beforehand, often very restricted, without the info needed etc.  We all try to have an ace up our sleeve.  Team Grantham had the radio telecope (absolutely superb modelling), we had the laser cutter machine for the track laying, buildings and the illuminated space race boards.  On the subject of the Queen Elizabeth loco, ou colour scheme was blue and white.  So that is why we choose that loco and James hand painted the coaches in those colours.  I still think that our Queen Elizabeth was the most beautiful loco in all the heats.  When that thing ran over the viaduct, it was superb to see.  And on the subject of shunting, all 3 teams did shunting on their demonstrations.   When looking at the program, it seems to me that they only showed 2% of all the stuff they filmed.  So much happened.  

I would like to know more about how you did the laser cutter stuff. Presumably you did it yourself rather than buying in commercial laser cut products? Did you bring the machine physically with you to Fawley or was everything cut off site? Were the designs yours or were they downloaded from an online library? If yours then might you make them available for others to share by uploading them somewhere, or selling them commercially? In short it was all very impressive. Any other heat, with techniques like that, you would have won hands down.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, hicksan said:

I would like to know more about how you did the laser cutter stuff. Presumably you did it yourself rather than buying in commercial laser cut products? Did you bring the machine physically with you to Fawley or was everything cut off site? Were the designs yours or were they downloaded from an online library? If yours then might you make them available for others to share by uploading them somewhere, or selling them commercially? In short it was all very impressive. Any other heat, with techniques like that, you would have won hands down.

Hi Hicksan,

The laser work was all to our own designs.     We created kits prior to the show, and assembled them on-site.

A few of the designs are being worked-up and will be commercially available in OO or N.

James - Railway Sleepers..

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the switch to Saturday night has failed. In the viewing figures for this week, Heat 4, broadcast on Friday 4th got a total of 1,003,165 viewers, while Heat 5 broadcast on Saturday 5th, was not in the top 15, meaning it must have got less than 824,902 viewers - a big slump. These figures include catch-up viewings within 7 days, and its possible that people were catching up after that period.

Will be interesting to see if they recover for the first Semi final. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnR said:

I wonder if the switch to Saturday night has failed. In the viewing figures for this week, Heat 4, broadcast on Friday 4th got a total of 1,003,165 viewers, while Heat 5 broadcast on Saturday 5th, was not in the top 15, meaning it must have got less than 824,902 viewers - a big slump. These figures include catch-up viewings within 7 days, and its possible that people were catching up after that period.

Thankyou for sharing the viewing figures - a vital part of the big picture. I do wonder if the definition of "success" or otherwise of the switch will be more nuanced, ie: what were the comparable figures for whichever programme(s) Channel 5 had been broadcasting in that slot in previous weeks?

I also wonder if the use of two successive days came into play too - as opposed to an eight day gap if they'd waited a week? Maybe the semi-final figures will help here when they become available.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2019 at 14:13, JohnR said:

If I'm reading the numbers correctly the first Saturday show on the 5th was ranked 15th in C5 viewership (down from 7th the night before) with 658,000 viewers

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

If I'm reading the numbers correctly the first Saturday show on the 5th was ranked 15th in C5 viewership (down from 7th the night before) with 658,000 viewers

Where are you getting those numbers from? On the official BARB website, "Inside the Cockpit: The Concorde Crash" is 15th that week, with 824,902 viewers.

https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/four-screen-dashboard/

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

Where are you getting those numbers from? On the official BARB website, "Inside the Cockpit: The Concorde Crash" is 15th that week, with 824,902 viewers.

Thinkbox has S2E5 in 21st place with 658k veiwers.       interestingly Live viewing was massively down, to 256k.

https://www.thinkbox.tv/research/barb-data/top-programmes-report/?tag=Channel5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JohnR said:

Apols I was trying to do too many things at once - I got the 658k right!  :blush_mini:

• Like 1