This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 5 - 'The Sky's the Limit'

15 hours ago, noiseboy72 said:

And that was what happened to us. We scored more points than the winners of Heats 1 & 4, but the wild card rule let us through, so I think it was a fair result all around.

I think it was a fair result that Muddle and Go Nowhere got the wild card, but fairly early on I got the impression that the judging in Heat 5 was remarkably generous compared to previous heats. I suspect that was Team Grantham dragging everyone else up, if the other two teams had been judged as in previous heats there wouldn't have been much of a contest.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, noiseboy72 said:

Team Muddle and Go Nowhere are just an extended bunch of friends with various railway interests and only a few of us really model in 00 to any extent

I think the last time I really did any railway modelling was when I was about 14 - I'm older and wiser now.

The rocket shed on our layout was my prebuild, Kathy was right, it was wrapping paper, but hopefully I did Clintons proud. Luckily she didn't realise the rest of it was a veg box, I dread to think what she would have said. It was loosely based on the Cardington airship sheds – it was the only thing I could think of that would be of a similar construction to the idea in my head.

shed plan.png

shed.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Professor Yaffle said:

Yes we noticed that too. Hope your layout has found a nice home it was fab.

Yes - Planet XVI was saved from the skip... 

It is most of the way through a slow restore with portability in mind.   including running the LED billboards off 12v power supply rather than 9v batteries. 

... and we aim to exhibit it somewhere, at some point in the future.

• Like 4

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 14:26, LocoLadies CF said:

This is a general question to everyone who participated in the Great Model Railway Challenge.  Was anyone else told that children could not attend the presentation because Knickerbockerglory is only licensed for over 18s? As some of you will know, I got into railway modelling because of my grandchildren and none of them were allowed to attend on the last day to watch our heat 3 presentation.   My family have just pointed out that episode 5 there were a number of children there watching.  Just wondering if the rules were changed as the series progressed. 

As our team Capt. has alluded too, he had to jump through quite a few hoops for the inclusion of his daughter to be part of the team.

However what the rest of us were unaware of (we probably didn’t read the blurb properly) is that the ‘audience’ allowed wasn’t the quite the friends and family we expected. This would have been a major problem for one team member and from a personal point of view awkward and disappointing for myself. I had ‘assumed’ (we all know what that means) that kids were ok on the judging day, as that is surely a major part of the target audience in itself? That bubble was burst a few weeks away from filming and there was genuine moment of horror within the team as the news spread. We looked at episodes of series one - no kids could be seen. What would happen? But to be fair to the production company once contacted, the situation confirmed and explained, they went away and sorted it out. Many, many thanks to them! - Lots of brownie points. All we had to do was sign our childrens' souls away to the gods to TV, nothing too awful.

I hope that explains why you saw our sprogs on Heat 5. It was a proper delight to watch the older ones cowered in embarrassment and the younger ones yelp with glee as they appear on TV on Saturday night.

Just for anyone else who might think of taking along their offspring, be aware there is a lot of hanging about and retakes that are a necessary evil of TV production. What you saw on telly of the judging section was at about 2-3 hours in reality. Each demonstration took 15 mins plus retakes, then there was the who had won bit too and they do like you to stand in the same position throughout for continuity reasons.  This may not be suitable for every small person or even the bigger ones.

judge.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

25 minutes ago, Professor Yaffle said:

However what the rest of us were unaware of (we probably didn’t read the blurb properly) is that the ‘audience’ allowed wasn’t the quite the friends and family we expected. This would have been a major problem for one team member and from a personal point of view awkward and disappointing for myself. I had ‘assumed’ (we all know what that means) that kids were ok on the judging day, as that is surely a major part of the target audience in itself? That bubble was burst a few weeks away from filming and there was genuine moment of horror within the team as the news spread. We looked at episodes of series one - no kids could be seen. What would happen? But to be fair to the production company once contacted, the situation confirmed and explained, they went away and sorted it out. Many, many thanks to them! - Lots of brownie points. All we had to do was sign our childrens' souls away to the gods to TV, nothing too awful.

I hope that explains why you saw our sprogs on Heat 5. It was a proper delight to watch the older ones cowered in embarrassment and the younger ones yelp with glee as they appear on TV on Saturday night.

it's disappointing that KBG weren't a little more consistent with this.  We were told the audience was 18+.  My two daughters are train-mad, and would have loved to have attended.  if fact they've a big part of the reason i applied to be part of the show in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

58 minutes ago, RailwaySleepers-James said:

Yes - Planet XVI was saved from the skip... 

It is most of the way through a slow restore with portability in mind.   including running the LED billboards off 12v power supply rather than 9v batteries. 

... and we aim to exhibit it somewhere, at some point in the future.

I know what you mean about the signs, if we had our time again there would be a few things done differently. We quite possibly over engineered a few bits.

Personally the opening door of the rocket shed to allow the rocket out is in that category. Instead of wiring a loco up (9v battery in use here too) and inserting below the door, I might just of used some string and pulled it open. That occurred to me as you flew your spaceship 'why didn't I do that??!?' That piece of practical sensibility seemed to elude me during the build up to the filming, probably because of the time constraint of being one of the last teams in. Then there was also a bit of the scratch build challenge that also suffered from overthinking too.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Professor Yaffle said:

I think the last time I really did any railway modelling was when I was about 14 - I'm older and wiser now.

The rocket shed on our layout was my prebuild, Kathy was right, it was wrapping paper, but hopefully I did Clintons proud. Luckily she didn't realise the rest of it was a veg box, I dread to think what she would have said. It was loosely based on the Cardington airship sheds – it was the only thing I could think of that would be of a similar construction to the idea in my head.

shed plan.png

shed.jpg

How did I not notice the resemblance to the Cardington hangars.  I've spent many a happy hour burning things in one of them.

Dave

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Professor Yaffle said:

I agree it was lovely to see children there. We weren’t as successful in twisting their arms to allow our younger family members to come. Well done for getting them there. 

5 hours ago, RailwaySleepers-James said:

it's disappointing that KBG weren't a little more consistent with this.  We were told the audience was 18+.  My two daughters are train-mad, and would have loved to have attended.  if fact they've a big part of the reason i applied to be part of the show in the first place.

Ironic really as one  grandson appears with me working on my railway at home in our heat ..... and even HE wasn’t allowed to come. And he was the reason I entered the GMRC in the first place by saying last year “Grandma, YOU could do that” !

• Friendly/supportive 2

45 minutes ago, LocoLadies CF said:

I agree it was lovely to see children there. We weren’t as successful in twisting their arms to allow our younger family members to come. Well done for getting them there. 

Ironic really as one  grandson appears with me working on my railway at home in our heat ..... and even HE wasn’t allowed to come. And he was the reason I entered the GMRC in the first place by saying last year “Grandma, YOU could do that” !

Put him on the team next time! That forces them to do the paperwork  and it's harder say no.

• Funny 3