Dapol announce O Gauge Class 66

Hilux5972

3 hours ago, Pandora said:

I believe that they have bought Little Loco Co and the "Massive" Announcement is to be the LLC Ruston 48DS

Not w*shlisting in any way whatsoever, honest, Guv, but....

That was more-or-less my take on what would make this a "Massive" announcement, except I'd hope it was the Class 22 they'd pick up. For those who wanted the Ruston, picking up both models would be even better! Dapol have done the 22 in N & OO, & made a good job of them, so have experience of the Class. 

I hope & presume the ironic contrast of "Massive" and "Ruston48DS" was what has been found 'funny' with your post. :dontknow:

3 hours ago, njee20 said:

Weren't LLC doing a 50 a while back...? Going to beat Heljan to market maybe... That would seem to be extremely high risk mind.

LLCo did propose a Class 50, but the project got hijacked by someone with an axe to grind against a.n.other manufacturer, and ended rather badly. There was a thread about it somewhere. 

I doubt it'll be something too modern, like a Class 68. (Now I know I'm old. I had to 'google' it :fool:  ) The most popular eras being catered for by the recent R-T-R O Scale Boom are Transition & BR Blue. You have to be old (more-or-less) to remember either era these days, & O isn't called The Senior Scale for nothing..!!! :jester:

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, njee20 said:

Weren't LLC doing a 50 a while back...? Going to beat Heljan to market maybe... That would seem to be extremely high risk mind.

The full story as such can be read here, but the LLC Class 50 was cancelled a long time ago

My personal opinion is that I would expect Dapol to choose a popular OO Gauge model to be the next release in O Gauge. So Class 22 which the Class 29 could be done with some changes to produce a completely new model.

The possibility I see is the Class 73.

As I don’t know their small scale range I don’t know what was popular or what they produced.

So, if I have this right ...

1) It's o gauge

2) it's modern image (given where its being announced)

3) It's massive

... it's obvious ... they're going to make a RTP model of the new London Bridge Station in O Gauge

... hat & coat on :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, delticfan said:

Maybe a Class 23 7mm now DJ Models is off the scene after laying claim to it years ago (putting off more likely manufacturers in the process)

Dapol goes for safe volume sellers, so a Class 23 would be far too esoteric for them I suspect.

• Agree 1

On 04/10/2019 at 17:15, MGR Hooper! said:

Just spoke to a member of the Dapol team, he has rubbished the claims that Dapol are abandoning N gauge.

Well, I’d say that was fairly obvious.

release a brand new and pretty good N gauge 50 and rather immediately withdraw from the market. Seems ridiculous doesn’t it ?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, two tone green said:

They are taking DJ back as business adviser !!!!!

I’d imagine he’s entered some sort of protection and a new identity, incase the APT mafia catch up with him

• Funny 3

18 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Well, I’d say that was fairly obvious.

release a brand new and pretty good N gauge 50 and rather immediately withdraw from the market. Seems ridiculous doesn’t it ?

Not to mention that whilst there's no updated CADs for the Dapol N gauge BOB/WC, they have publicly stated that the delay is due to electronics. So that's definitely progressing.

I'm really surprised none of the 0 gauge manufactures have done a class 66. It's a model that can be done in a multitude of liveries spanning a good number of years. It would also be nice to see a pacer or sprinter that would really open up a big hole in my wallet & I've got rid of most my 0 gauge to return to smaller scales.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Rhb Simon said:

I'm really surprised none of the 0 gauge manufactures have done a class 66. It's a model that can be done in a multitude of liveries spanning a good number of years. It would also be nice to see a pacer or sprinter that would really open up a big hole in my wallet & I've got rid of most my 0 gauge to return to smaller scales.

I think it's considered as being a touch too modern for most in the O gauge scene. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Rhb Simon said:

I'm really surprised none of the 0 gauge manufactures have done a class 66. It's a model that can be done in a multitude of liveries spanning a good number of years.

I suspect the feeling is that the market would be too small for the 66 despite the number of liveries, though could be wrong.

The O market is quite small, and the space issue has a sort of limiting effect on what is likely to be commercially viable.

My guess is anything from the privatization era would be a difficult sell in O.  Looking at the big changes the 90's and later brought and you see a move to large DMU/EMU (4 carriages or more) and larger freight wagons (so fewer will fit on the typical O layout).  So it would seem anything BR (or earlier) would be a safer choice given that a lot of it was smaller and thus provides a better fit for a layout in a larger scale like O.

(This is why I suspect the class 68 is unlikely, as the Mk5 coaches fall into the same problem as the HST, and the freight stuff isn't as attractive as the earlier eras)

16 hours ago, Rhb Simon said:

It would also be nice to see a pacer or sprinter that would really open up a big hole in my wallet & I've got rid of most my 0 gauge to return to smaller scales.

A class 142 might be a good risk for someone to take - done up as a Skipper in chocolate and cream it could be attractive as "second era" operating session on the GWR branchlines that steam O is based around.

My thinking is that we model things that resonate from our youth.  Surveys have shown I think that people tend to model things from a mean of 40 yrs ago.  Hence the popularity of BR.  My observation is that a large proportion of the 0 gauge market are in their 50s and 60s.  This demographic lies in the sweet spot of having more time and some discretionary money.  It also has fond memories of BR. 

I'm sure Dapol's marketeers are well aware of their market.

John

• Agree 4

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

the 22 would fit in nicely with their Pannier's and Prairies', and also things like their Milk Tanks etc. 

I would love the 22 to finally get made, I'd order one instantly, however, based on Dapol's advertising of this release so far, I think it will be a larger loco.

I’m not sure the 66 wouldn’t sell. When I look at the MIOG FB page , those folk seem to be crying out for something more modern. There seems to be more youngsters with the readies willing and able to take on O gauge at present .

• Agree 1