Dapol announce O Gauge Class 66

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pwr said:

Heljan need some serious competition to get prices down

Similar with the 121. Heljan had the chassis and mechanism already and have already tooled a body (it's been displayed at a few shows) so will be interesting to see how they react to Dapol in terms of going ahead or not and, if so, at what price.

• RMweb Gold

7mm has been screaming out for the modern day equivalent of the Class 47 and if Dapol get this to market within 3 years (still waiting for my 4mm 59!) at £325 RRP (and even cheaper through shops) then it's a no brainer. Us modern image folk....and I mean MODERN image, not BR Blue / Sectorisation stuff, get the short straw every time. It's also good to see almost twice the size, at almost twice the cost. 

The idea of dipping a toe into the O Gauge market with a 66 is tempting, however those liveries/numbers put me off, I think a standard Freightliner green example would have been better than the Powerhaul livery, as said previously by a few, the lack of a standard GBRf livery is strange, I think what would have been very popular would be Freightliner/G&W black and orange.

…...and its got to be said (having mentioned black/orange) given its huge popularity im amazed a Colas liveried example hasn't been announced in the initial batch.

My money will be staying in my pocket...…. for the time being.

• Agree 2

I’ve heard of this policy before ... produce less desirable ones ...people buy anyway then make the ones they really want ...

but that could backfire as even at these keen prices I’d wait .

im not O gauge but the thought of an EWS 66 with some military stuff behind ( does anyone do VGAs or dome big tanks... ) is rather appealing 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2019 at 21:36, seeseerider said:

There is always a way to find space for model trains! It’s one of the great fun challenges. I live in a tiny 1 bed flat currently and model in gauge 1 and O. Piece of cake.  

Be good to see your layouts. Can't see if you've a thread or not.  

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

We know this won't be everyones cup of tea...

However, we are excited to announce we've commissioned a 7mm Class 66 from Dapol - Due in the first batch.

66720 in Rainbow GBRF Livery is available to pre order now from our website. These will be a very limited run so we advise to get your orders placed!

Pre Order HERE:

66720.png.9219d671c8788608e4bd86c6aee5f2ba.png

£325/355/475 for DC/DCC/Sound.

Obviously this is an image of the 2mm version for illustration only. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I too wish Dapol well with the Class 66.

I will be following with interest despite the Class 66 being just outside my modelling period and I have no desire to purchase any (at present).

One thing which I have noticed for anyone planning on modelling a FL example is that afaik no-one produces the correct transfers yet to correctly model a FL locomotive.

Now I have looked into this in the past and any transfers currently available are ‘flat’ compared to the original and don’t have that glow in the dark appearance of the prototype.

Surely with a model of this scale only the correct transfers can do this model justice?

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Reported by Dapol yesterday the forthcoming 66 is in tooling now, with artwork being worked out.

A little concerning if there is areas which could do with correction that won’t happen now as metal has been cut.

So the first we’ll see of it is when the prototype is released, errors or no errors this is what we have...

Baring in mind the blinding cock up of the Turbot livery application “3 meters” vice “30 meters” it is cause for concern, but then ifs not right then we won’t buy it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Courtybella said:

Reported by Dapol yesterday the forthcoming 66 is in tooling now, with artwork being worked out.

A little concerning if there is areas which could do with correction that won’t happen now as metal has been cut.

It's certainly not uncommon for changes to be made to the tooling after a first EP is made. So I don't understand your concern over the matter. Afterall the first EP is specifically for manufacturers to check the fit and finish of the model.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Wasnt it shown that the real thing was labelled wrong?

No idea to be honest, seems a little strange to model a incorrectly labelled wagon and leave yourself open to negative comment.

Especially when the firm aren’t a shining star when it comes to QC and errors.

37 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

It's certainly not uncommon for changes to be made to the tooling after a first EP is made. So I don't understand your concern over the matter. Afterall the first EP is specifically for manufacturers to check the fit and finish of the model.

We’ll see, if they balls it up they’ll lose money not us.

I really hope it’s a stunner, but I’m afraid my confidence isn’t high through experience. 

4 hours ago, Courtybella said:

So the first we’ll see of it is when the prototype is released, errors or no errors this is what we have...

Baring in mind the blinding cock up of the Turbot livery application “3 meters” vice “30 meters” it is cause for concern, but then ifs not right then we won’t buy it.

It's quite possible in the period between announcement and now that they have been through feedback and made corrections without showing any more images. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Courtybella said:

No idea to be honest, seems a little strange to model a incorrectly labelled wagon and leave yourself open to negative comment.

Especially when the firm aren’t a shining star when it comes to QC and errors.

Some would say that's a manufacturer going to great lengths to to achieve a certain level of accuracy. On the flipside, they'd correct the error and leave themselves open to negative feedback from rivet counters.

1 hour ago, Courtybella said:

We’ll see, if they balls it up they’ll lose money not us.

I really hope it’s a stunner, but I’m afraid my confidence isn’t high through experience. 

Exactly, if they mess it up, they'll lose not us. Dapol's O gauge range is pretty good. So lets leave the assumptions aside until we actually see something?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, brossard said:

Way too modern for me but I was astonished at the posted price.  As mentioned above, Heljan do need to get shaken up pricewise.

John

Indeed, but when you've had the market to yourself and produced most of the diesel classes you've rather got a monopoly on certain classes

19 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Indeed, but when you've had the market to yourself and produced most of the diesel classes you've rather got a monopoly on certain classes

True and not likely to change much in the foreseeable future.  Dapol can't develop models fast enough to overtake Heljan I think.  Heljan seem to have the market for early and middle era diesels sewn up.  Perhaps Dapol see a niche in the more modern era for models.  For me it's moot but interesting.

John