Dapol announce O Gauge Class 66

Hilux5972

It would be brave of Dapol to head to head and duplicate a 47 or a 37 in O, though the Heljan 37 does have a known flaw, a flaw that would probably stop people mixing makes on the same layout as it would become obvious there is a difference.

No, Heljan got the O gauge market for BR diesels long ago and I don't think the market is big enough for duplication like it is in OO - bit like N really in that respect.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just chatting with Mike and he’s concerned about the windows, thinking they are too far apart and small. 

Dapol’s pics for comparison. 
E9CD7970-47A2-46F0-92AE-F449BCC5703D.jpeg.3786347dc23bf33dd81253c1132515e8.jpeg

I conversely think the front corner may be too wide? I also think the lights are too close to the fold line? Dapols model pic again for comparisons. 

37E90C81-9C68-49AC-AD99-DEBD92D982BF.jpeg.9e456d2e6354b372057448cba5fc6089.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it’s the grey moulded rubber seal making the centre pillar look thick ;) if that was black I think it’s ok, the outside just looks wide on the nearer side to me. Very difficult to tell without a straight on shot though as the light and single colour are playing some tricks. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The belly section of the underframe looks too broad in relation to the fuel tanks - whereby the fuel tanks are also not deep enough, as they should finish just slightly lower than the adjacent battery box:

O%20Gauge%20%20Class%2066%20EP%202-1.jpg

If anything, the fuel tanks should be proportionally deeper than the section of underframe from which they are mounted:

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, I just received this information in an email this morning from Hatton's:

Dapol have revealed an early engineering sample for their forthcoming newly tooled Class 66 in O gauge.

This exciting new model will be available in 6 different guises at launch covering usage by EWS, Freightliner,

GBRf and DRS. We expect them to arrive by Summer 2022.

Features include:

Highly detailed model

Separately fitted parts

Etched grilles with representation of internal equipment

Directional, cab and instrument panel lighting

Heavy diecast chassis and bogie frames

Rotating axleboxes

Dual motors

Digital & sound capable - 21-pin

Accurate tooling variations

Due August 2022

7D-066-001 - 66001 in EWS red & gold

7D-066-002 - 66504 in Freightliner Powerhaul green

7D-066-003 - 66709 'Sorrento' in GBRf/ MSC livery

7D-066-004 - 66421 in Direct Rail Services plain blue

7D-066-005 - 66789 'British Rail 1948 to 1997' in BR large logo blue with GBRf branding

7D-066-006 - 66783 'The Flying Dustman' in Biffa red with GBRf branding

£285.92

Digital Fitted: £312.32

View all of these Dapol O Gauge Class 66 Locos

Edited by J. S. Bach

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I think it’s the grey moulded rubber seal making the centre pillar look thick ;) if that was black I think it’s ok, the outside just looks wide on the nearer side to me. Very difficult to tell without a straight on shot though as the light and single colour are playing some tricks. 

I agree. Dapol have put up a head on shot on twitter here:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Other models elsewhere in the world offer rotating axle covers without problems.

Atlas, Lionel, and MTH to name e few in O. Even Athearn in HO years ago (30.+) offered them.

8 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Just chatting with Mike and he’s concerned about the windows, thinking they are too far apart and small. 

Dapol’s pics for comparison. 
E9CD7970-47A2-46F0-92AE-F449BCC5703D.jpeg.3786347dc23bf33dd81253c1132515e8.jpeg

I conversely think the front corner may be too wide? I also think the lights are too close to the fold line? Dapols model pic again for comparisons. 

37E90C81-9C68-49AC-AD99-DEBD92D982BF.jpeg.9e456d2e6354b372057448cba5fc6089.jpeg

But the rubber seals around the window in the EP are also grey. So it's more of an illusion. When I am designing locos, I always do a quite text and apply a texture on the window seals to crosscheck.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

So using that 

0FACE3FF-EBB1-486A-9E76-328903804190.jpeg.8dc875c25d443257683286d0ab6a40d9.jpeg

D824FB08-F987-490B-8C04-3E0A55F4B007.jpeg.2035051bebb2461853b90d3c9f220e2b.jpeg

I’d say fractionally deeper as Mike suggested but wider on the outside not narrowing the pillar and a thinner representation of the seal all round. 

If you must do this, you need to use thinner lines as the line thickness adds to the confusion.

I used to frequent a US model aircraft web forum where  a regular poster used to compare models with photos of the actual aircraft using coloured lines to “prove” they were dimensionally incorrect.  What the process actually “proved” was apparent in the responses.

The comparison photo of the real loco it is pointing downward and to its left - it is not a true “head on” photo.  From there on it becomes very subjective as to whether the loco “looks right”.   Even if every dimension on the model scales up exactly to that of the prototype we can easily convince ourselves that it doesn’t “look right” and then search for and find the reasons why.  I don’t think that is a path to happiness and inner wellbeing.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

If you must do this, you need to use thinner lines as the line thickness adds to the confusion.

I used to frequent a US model aircraft web forum where  a regular poster used to compare models with photos of the actual aircraft using coloured lines to “prove” they were dimensionally incorrect.  What the process actually “proved” was apparent in the responses.

The comparison photo of the real loco it is pointing downward and to its left - it is not a true “head on” photo.  From there on it becomes very subjective as to whether the loco “looks right”.   Even if every dimension on the model scales up exactly to that of the prototype we can easily convince ourselves that it doesn’t “look right” and then search for and find the reasons why.  I don’t think that is a path to happiness and inner wellbeing.

Cheers

Darius

;) it’s not meant to be an engineering comparison just a rough one on a phone. 

As I said in the posts earlier the light and plastic colours can play tricks in photos but something looks wrong so hopefully they can catch it. I included the same pic without lines as the effect is more noticeable and the windows don’t look wide enough and as I mentioned Mike and I had different opinions of where so it needs hands on the actual model to check. As I work with them every day I see a lot and at a distance it looked ok at first but then I started to notice something and started comparing to my Flickr album. 
It’s an EP and just trying to provide positive feedback of what areas to look at ;) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

It's an EP and that's the whole point of posting it to the public. It doesn't look that bad to me, and the unpainted window rubbers give the wrong impression of width. Its pointless drawing lines around it because each picture is taken at a slightly different angle and with a different focal length to the lens. I'm sure Dapol will get this right because they did with the Mk1s where the end corners were incorrect. Now we have the best Mk1 ever produced.

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

But the rubber seals around the window in the EP are also grey. So it's more of an illusion. When I am designing locos, I always do a quite text and apply a texture on the window seals to crosscheck.

But you aren't comparing the same cabs. The model has a two part side window whereas the photos are of the later style with a third window - which could easily affect the width of corner pillars. And the light clusters vary - I have noticed three types.  

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/66freightliner/e196eca17

And then your 66060 appears to have something strange going on where the model, correctly, has the 4 lifting lugs, 66060 has only one? And then there are what appears to be a step (??) over the buffers which are different.

What we haven't heard is if Dapol are making allowances for the variations in the models 

Paul Bartlett

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class66

53 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

But you aren't comparing the same cabs. The model has a two part side window whereas the photos are of the later style with a third window - which could easily affect the width of corner pillars. And the light clusters vary - I have noticed three types.  

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/66freightliner/e196eca17

And then your 66060 appears to have something strange going on where the model, correctly, has the 4 lifting lugs, 66060 has only one? And then there are what appears to be a step (??) over the buffers which are different.

What we haven't heard is if Dapol are making allowances for the variations in the models 

Paul Bartlett

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class66

the removal of the lugs and additional brackets on 060 was the result of fitting the swing out knuckle couplers fitted to EWS 66’s (except 001 and 002 for some reason)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2021 at 04:11, Darius43 said:

Even if every dimension on the model scales up exactly to that of the prototype we can easily convince ourselves that it doesn’t “look right” and then search for and find the reasons why.  I don’t think that is a path to happiness and inner wellbeing.

Bullseye

• Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...