Dapol announce O Gauge Class 66

Hilux5972

1 minute ago, F-UnitMad said:

They certainly helped smash the long-held (& I think, long promoted, by those who wanted the scale to remain exclusive) myth that "If it's O Scale it MUST be expensive"!! 

Absolutely, a few seconds thought and mental math drove that point home to  me.  I do have a couple of expensive locos but most everything is affordable.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you're chasing a modern O gauge market then a 66 is probably a safe bet if only for sheer diversity of liveries, although you've got almost as many variations to tool as well.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Fenman said:

I'm surprised no-one's yet proposed a transition-era 2-coach DMU - a Derby Lightweight, or maybe a 105 or 101. 

Equally, one of the 15x family might be a decent bet.

Paul

Heljan have announced several versions of DMU.  I'm quite interested in something like that.  I'd prefer something from the early diesel era or small to medium steam (not stonking great pacifics).

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Gold

Love to see LLC’s Class 22 being produced by Dapol, given the prep work has been done and shame to let it all go to waste, but if I had to put money on what the announcement will be, I’d bet on the Class 68 or Class 66.

4 hours ago, Legend said:

Must admit O Gauge has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years . Was looking at an O Gauge Diesel layout at Ayr a few weeks ago and the models just had presence that you don't really get in OO. They looked heavy . No idea how much they actually weigh . No idea whats coming except as its at MIGO  its got to be a diesel of some kind . Would people buy an HST in O Gauge ?  Anybody got space to run one ?  Sadly that's why I really cant consider it

My Heljan 37 weighed in at just over 2kg.

Scaled up, that would be 2 * (43*43*43) / 1000 = 159 tonnes.

57 minutes ago, brossard said:

Heljan have announced several versions of DMU.  I'm quite interested in something like that.  I'd prefer something from the early diesel era or small to medium steam (not stonking great pacifics).

John

You're quite right, of course - I was clearly deliberately blanking the western part of the country...

Doesn't stop my desire for a Derby Lightweight. Though, having had a close look at Darstaed's suburbans (which are a step-change up from their already-decent Mk1s), I'm now hoping Darstaed will have a go at that or something similar (preferably eastern!).

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I'm just trying to imagine the tooling costs for a full-on HST set, in O-Gauge!!

Another one for the 68, agreed.

Al.

Two vehicles: class 43 power car; Mk3 trailer car

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

What period do MIGO cover? A number of suggestions here don't strike me as "modern image", but I know it often means "not steam".

A mute point, but MIGO is long gone. MIOG (all be-it a similar acronym) is an altogether new entity. As much as its a wide spectrum often discussed as to 'what is Modern Image' we've defined our cover as ranging from 1970 right up to the present day (whether that be Steam/Diesel/Electric etc). So essentially it is post steam era, but not necessarily not steam! The exhibition in November is all post 1968 layouts but there is a 'preservation era' layout so I wouldn't be surprised to see the odd steam devise, though they will be in the minority!

In terms of the Dapol announcement, it'll be interesting to see what they have come up with. For me personally I'd like to see more modern freight stock or MK2 PV's. however I would expect something blown up form the current & proposed 00 range, a 59/68/73 would be my guess.

Al

• Informative/Useful 1

The smart money is betting that Dapol will be announcing the actual delivery of some of the long list of models it has promised, but has so far failed to bring to market. That should be its priority, not the promise of yet more stuff that will take years to deliver.

Charles

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Are the other cars already available - buffet, etc ... ??

Not that I know of.

So it requires tooling up 4 models to create a proper HST: Power car, TGS, Buffet & TF/TS.

As mentioned earlier, 7mm does not lend itself to large layouts very well. I don't remember seeing a layout at Guildex on which an HST would fit.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
spelling