Jump to content

Hilux5972

Dapol announce O Gauge Class 66

Recommended Posts

I’m seeing a lot of men my age (mid 30s) with money fo spend coming through my shop buying O gauge, there is definitely a shift towards modern models in O.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BR blue is the main era modelled. I was talking with a well known trader and they stated this era is now the most popular, (based on models sold, and that’s what it’s about for the manufacturers).

Given that most people will not have space for block trains or lengthy passenger trains, I would think a good choice for small layout operators are the class 26/27 Scottish loco’s. 
Why not do a pack with a 26 or 27 and a MK1 BSK & or TSO/ SK.

I find rtr rolling stock is an issue to put behind a blue diesel as they are very limited in what is produced. Yes kits are available but not everyone is comfortable having to build stock. 
These are just my personal Thoughts on what is a fabulous hobby. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roadrails said:

A Class 108 could use some of the DMU tooling... 

Some DRS Mark 2Fs and a DBSO

TEA?

 

Yes please, white, no sugar, thanks! :D

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1980s is very much my era but my foray into O gauge modeling has been strictly light railway steam. 

 

Why? I realised that even a "Minories" in 0 would need 15 feet plus at least another 5 storage. Remember a 40 or 66 alone can be longer than a small steam engine, 4 wheel coach and brake van...

 

Good luck if you have the space but I think Dapol would be safer to stick with smaller locos and less space consuming prototypes. If I ever do 80s 0 gauge I doubt I will ever go larger than a Compton... 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2019 at 10:43, EnglishElectricFan said:

BR blue is the main era modelled. I was talking with a well known trader and they stated this era is now the most popular, (based on models sold, and that’s what it’s about for the manufacturers).

 

 

The only problem with that philosophy is that once each class of BR Blue & Large Logo loco is covered what will they have left?

Maybe the sales of BR Blue to them seems popular but maybe this due to people settling for that era when there is not enough models to do a model based around the 90’s or post privatisation.

Had there been a wider spectrum like in OO Gauge would the result still be the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AeBor said:

 

The only problem with that philosophy is that once each class of BR Blue & Large Logo loco is covered what will they have left?

 

They can do re-runs for those people who have entered O since the last run, or he need an additional model.

 

And they can then tool up new wagons/coaches.

 

2 hours ago, AeBor said:

Maybe the sales of BR Blue to them seems popular but maybe this due to people settling for that era when there is not enough models to do a model based around the 90’s or post privatisation.

 

There are 2 inherent realities driving what is (at least currently) available in O

 

One, the size of the market, which is really quite small, which means the choice of model to make has to be done quite carefully to ensure that a sufficient quantity are sold to cover costs.  So this is why for example in the steam area it is either industrials (which can be generic in use) or GWR.  By focusing on GWR you reach that critical mass of modellers who build GWR layouts and thus will by further GWR locos.  Going further afield (other than say an iconic loco like the A3/A4 by Hattons which will be more of a collector item) means both the manufacturer and modeller need to take the leap of faith that enough models of say a LNER prototype get sold that further LNER models come along, making both layouts and yet furher LNER purchases viable.

 

But the other is the size of O, and the resulting layout size requirements (unless everyone starts building outdoors).  Just as other in this thread said an HST was unlikely due to length, a model of the 5 car Class 80x would be almost 10' long and you run into the same problem with almost any post-privatisation passenger stock which all seems to be 4 car or longer multiple units.  A class 70 works out to 20", and then the wagons in the post-privatisation era are longer than the nice, short wagons of the BR or earlier eras.  So for the few shorter DMU's that are in that era (say the class 170), then isn't a lot to build a layout around that is similarly short enough.

 

2 hours ago, AeBor said:

Had there been a wider spectrum like in OO Gauge would the result still be the same?

 

The O market is no where big enough to offer the same selection as OO, but even OO is running into size (and cost) issues.  There appears to be little to no appetite by the manufacturers to touch any of those 4 car or more DMU/EMU models that dominate the post-privatisation railway and it based on (justified or not) fears that too few people will buy them because of the cost and the space required even in OO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2019 at 13:34, F-UnitMad said:

It would be a massive announcement if it saved the crowdfunders their money. 

Too much to hope for though, probably. 

Well I ain’t paying twice for it, that’s for sure :unsure:

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mdvle said:

By focusing on GWR you reach that critical mass of modellers


I must be ignorant , but i’ve always wondered at the heavy GWR bias in O gauge RTR finescale in UK. You imply it’s an obvious thing. What don’t I know? I’m an LMR man, myself - and only buy the gwr stuff ‘cause there is nothing else haha.

 

i follow most of what else you say. I too can’t help but notice how small the market is, and I don’t get it. I never understood the appeal of OO other than for those with very limited budget and for those who like to model large landscapes of scenery who just don’t have the space. I know people hate me for drawing a comparison but I don’t care - in Germany we have a much larger gauge 1 RTR market which drawrf the prices of Dapol and Heljan. The market is very big compared to uk gauge O.  Why are there not enough lovers of the British trains who can afford at least O gauge? I know they must be out there. I guess they have other priorities in their lives - those that do have the cash. It’s a great shame. I only wish British O gauge RTR to flourish, because I love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder if 00 manufacturers would be wise to consider also bringing out new releases that allow easy conversion to EM or P4.   Is one reason modellers are looking to 0 gauge is because they are unhappy with 00 gauge but would stick with 4mm if they could buy EM and P4 compatible models that require little work to convert...….I imagine many 0 gauge "layouts" based at home to be very small affairs where the operation is pretty much limited to shunting which is fine is that's your thing.  I like to run trains and see them at scale speeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Well I ain’t paying twice for it, that’s for sure :unsure:

So if Dapol do bring out an O Scale Class 22, & it's a beauty (In model terms, that is!!) but it's nothing to do with the proposed L.L.Co one, and so there's no reduction in price for those who crowdfunded that one, you won't buy the Dapol one?

 

I still have a feeling that the "massive" Dapol are referring to is something of deeper significance than just a model, or even range of models. 

Only another three weeks to go until we find out... :scare:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

So if Dapol do bring out an O Scale Class 22, & it's a beauty (In model terms, that is!!) but it's nothing to do with the proposed L.L.Co one, and so there's no reduction in price for those who crowdfunded that one, you won't buy the Dapol one?

 

I still have a feeling that the "massive" Dapol are referring to is something of deeper significance than just a model, or even range of models. 

Only another three weeks to go until we find out... :scare:

No I won’t, I have given up on 7mm now and gone back to 4mm after 20 years of 7mm modelling (and mostly collecting and building truth be told).

 

I only ordered (paid) for the 22 because of the quality of the 15 I bought last year, I didn’t really need the 22 as it’s the wrong region but being such a lovely proposed model I thought why not....rule 1.

 

And I think your correct about the announcement, I am sure it’s something a bit more special than just a new model.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

I do wonder if 00 manufacturers would be wise to consider also bringing out new releases that allow easy conversion to EM or P4.   Is one reason modellers are looking to 0 gauge is because they are unhappy with 00 gauge but would stick with 4mm if they could buy EM and P4 compatible models that require little work to convert...….I imagine many 0 gauge "layouts" based at home to be very small affairs where the operation is pretty much limited to shunting which is fine is that's your thing.  I like to run trains and see them at scale speeds.


So as it’s an O gauge announcement it’ll be nothing to do with Dapol bringing out a track system true to UK scale in 4mm then?

 

Now there’s a thought........:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having just announced a D this morning in 00, perhaps they’ll upscale one for 0 gauge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paftrain said:

Having just announced a D this morning in 00, perhaps they’ll upscale one for 0 gauge.

 

Rails of Sheffield announced a D this morning, Dapol is simply making the model for Rails.

 

While it is possible that whatever agreement Rails of Sheffield made with Dapol could allow Dapol to use the research to make a model in a different scale the fact that it took a retailer to do the model may indicated even in OO it is a niche model making O unlikely (particularly given that as discussed earlier there is no complementary products like suitable coaches in O)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2019 at 11:05, AeBor said:

My personal opinion is that I would expect Dapol to choose a popular OO Gauge model to be the next release in O Gauge. So Class 22 which the Class 29 could be done with some changes to produce a completely new model.

The possibility I see is the Class 73.

As I don’t know their small scale range I don’t know what was popular or what they produced.

There’s huge differences between the 22 and 29.   Just as there between the 21 and 29, from which the beast was altered.    But when I spoke to them at Telford /Kettering they wanted to get the 4mm 21/29 right, before they even considered either of the NBL loco’s in bigger sizes.    And tbh honest I can’t blame them.  

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BR Standards in steam era would give a number of very similar chassis and bodies covering 2-6-2, 2-6-4, 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 versions.

If it was my decision I would start with 2-6-2 to test market. This size would suit use of gwr prairie work and be able to run alongside the 08’s, panniers, jinty’s  etc on a lot of smaller layouts common in O gauge....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dmeaden said:

BR Standards in steam era would give a number of very similar chassis and bodies covering 2-6-2, 2-6-4, 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 versions.

If it was my decision I would start with 2-6-2 to test market. This size would suit use of gwr prairie work and be able to run alongside the 08’s, panniers, jinty’s  etc on a lot of smaller layouts common in O gauge....

 

 

It likely won't be steam given the announcement is happening at a Modern Image show, however there is validity to your suggestion.

 

A safe way to expand the selection of steam outside of the current GWR focus would be to choose (to start) some BR Standards that ran in former GWR areas so that the models could appeal both to the GWR BLT themed existing layouts while allowing people to start creating steam layouts set in other regions (or, adding some steam to an early diesel layout).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ISTR Lionheart announced a BR standard loco some while ago.  It is not mentioned on their site now though.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big could refer to some additional manufacturing equipment being placed in the UK? Actually making the tooling here again? Before the B thing.

Oh what fun with all the froth so far!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, brossard said:

ISTR Lionheart announced a BR standard loco some while ago.  It is not mentioned on their site now though.

 

John

John,

 

I think that you are referring to the Class 3 82xxx tank which is supposed to be following the GWR 45xx small prairie. Lionheart announced a type of 'common rail' 2-6-2t chassis development a few years ago which would also cover some of the LMS and LNER 2-6-2t types - we wait with interest................................

 

regards

 

Mike

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2019 at 22:00, F-UnitMad said:

So if Dapol do bring out an O Scale Class 22, ..... you won't buy the Dapol one?

 

 

On 15/10/2019 at 09:34, boxbrownie said:

No I won’t, I have given up on 7mm now and gone back to 4mm after 20 years of 7mm modelling (and mostly collecting and building truth be told).

 

I only ordered (paid) for the 22 because of the quality of the 15 I bought last year, I didn’t really need the 22 as it’s the wrong region but being such a lovely proposed model I thought why not....rule 1.

 

Absolutely fair enough. :good: I didn't buy the Class 15 as it's wrong Region for me, & with the best will in the world, I am not yet at the stage where I can make 'Impulse Purchases' in O Scale. I did order the 22 because of the quality of the 15, though!! :unsure:

 

 

19 hours ago, mdvle said:

 

It likely won't be steam given the announcement is happening at a Modern Image show.

Spot on. Wrong show entirely to be announcing a Kettle at, however desirable.

Just as long as it's not a D95xx. Minerva have my pre-order for that one.  :locomotive::yahoo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If its a BIG announcement it must be a Class 66. As all the liveries eventually seep out it could go on selling for years

Edited by Sun Chariot
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking sideways on this one.  Dapol have a new young CAD person and have been investing in technology to make bigger moulded products more efficiently at Chirk.  The BIG bit could be "made in the UK" for the new item.

 

Could we be looking at a UK made bogie coach perhaps?  

 

Just a thought

Les

Edited by Les1952
extra thinks...
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.