Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Rev. W. Awdry's vicarage up for sale

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 05/10/2019 at 23:32, jollysmart said:

Having looked at the photos it looks a really nice example of its type, I would however have sorted out the power supply to the freezer, before the photos as  it looks more Heath Robinson than Awdry.

Ironically it is quite legal for the homeowner to connect the freezer on a long lead with a plug into a socket. However to install a proper socket near the freezer would require a qualified electrician (for obvious safety reasons) so the long lead stays.

Nice house by the way

13 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

...Ironically it is quite legal for the homeowner to connect the freezer on a long lead with a plug into a socket. However to install a proper socket near the freezer would require a qualified electrician (for obvious safety reasons) so the long lead stays...

At least they haven't been economical with the truth, and unplugged and concealed the freezer lead while the photos were taken.

A friend still entertains with the story of how he bought an old property in Olney in the mid 70s: he and future wife had only seen a few photos and a brief description, then looked at it from the outside less than half an hour before the auction started. Little did they imagine that the many electrical appliances seen in the interior photos could be operated from three plug sockets, all of them downstairs...

• Funny 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A friend of mine wired a spur from a fusebox into a 13A Plug; the flex from the Pillar Drill was wired into a 13A Socket.  I did point out his error, pointing out what would happen if he touched the plug pins.  He responded that the spur was only for use with the pillar drill and so would stay plugged in.....

The pillar drill was in his workshops, with one or two employees, and (metal) cans of thinners regularly placed on the bench below the spur.  No idea if he ever corrected the problem....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, polybear said:

A friend of mine wired a spur from a fusebox into a 13A Plug; the flex from the Pillar Drill was wired into a 13A Socket.  I did point out his error, pointing out what would happen if he touched the plug pins.  He responded that the spur was only for use with the pillar drill and so would stay plugged in.....

The pillar drill was in his workshops, with one or two employees, and (metal) cans of thinners regularly placed on the bench below the spur.  No idea if he ever corrected the problem....

That is criminal.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, polybear said:

..I tried but just can't add an icon to this post!

... Kev.

:crazy_mini:

Edited by SHMD

38 minutes ago, polybear said:

2 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

That is criminal.

no, that's shocking! :scared:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

^^

..Potentially - yes            (pun intended but please excuse)

....multi-times - probably

......leathally - possibly!

Please try to rectify this situation.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

That is criminal.

True.  However, his FIL introduced him to scuba diving, which all went wrong whilst open-water diving many moons ago :(  (So not much chance of getting nicked now).

FIL was (supposedly) lead diver, but got ripped to bits by the Coroner at the Inquest, having broken just about every rule in the book.  Pregnant Wife and Friend's parents waited until Hospital confirmed no hope and switched off Life Support....

What did FIL do?  Stayed down there and finished his Diving Holiday.  Don't 'spose taking his pregnant Daughter home entered his head.

RIP Daniel (who went on to save several lives via Transplant).

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

^

I've still got some of the round-pin plugs and sockets my Dad salvaged & saved when our house was rewired in the 1950s.

Hmmm, should I be selling these on eBay as "collectors items"?

Here's a web site just for you!

• Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, DIW said:

Here's a web site just for you!

Marvellous!

https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/OldBritish1.html

BS 546, also known as the Old British standard is still used in countries that where electrified by the British, notably India, Pakistan and East African countries and South Africa. It is  used in the UK for special purposes.

Oooh - "special purposes"!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those round pin plugs are useful sources of brass, such as the buffer shanks on this loco.  The plug was off an old Hornby Dublo controller that my son found in a sale. 

Tim

A222F056-3A12-40CB-A718-B589649A0116.jpeg

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 5

Never fails to amaze me the wiring bodges people carry out. In our old house there was a copper nail instead of fuse wire in the old 30A fuse. I replaced it on discovering it. Only for it to blow one Christmas when I turned the heater on in the workshop. I met the wife in the garden as everything in the house was off as well. Subsequently found out the whole house was on a single 30 Amp spur! Even the old wall mounted single bar heater was on the lighting circuit. Soon got that rectified.

Moved to 1960s bungalow to find that the kitchen wiring was just in the plaster and in places went 45 degrees across the wall! I went to put a bracket up outside for my wifes hanging basket. One hole coincided with the cement between two bricks. Started to drill the hole and flash, bang wallop I'm on the floor! Son sticks his head out the window "dad the wifi has gone off"! Some muppet had hidden a wiring run in the mortar bed for some of the out door lights!

• Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, neilkirby said:

I read a few years back now about a farmer who rather than spend 50p on a 13a plug, made his own out of bare wires wrapped around 3 nails and put through an offcut of wood!

Neil

it might just be 50p to you laddie, but for that thrifty and frugal farmer that was ten whole shillings . :nono:

(even if he was downright dangerous)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, didcot said:

In our old house there was a copper nail instead of fuse wire in the old 30A fuse. I replaced it on discovering it. Only for it to blow one Christmas when I turned the heater on in the workshop.

If it ain't busted, don't fix it......  :)

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

All this because one photograph showed the fridge on an extension lead. ;)

Same as mine at home then :-)

Looks like a nice property, plenty of room for train sets, mind you I should think it costs a fortune to heat with no cavity walls and plenty of big rooms with high ceilings.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 22/10/2019 at 11:02, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

At least they haven't been economical with the truth, and unplugged and concealed the freezer lead while the photos were taken.

A friend still entertains with the story of how he bought an old property in Olney in the mid 70s: he and future wife had only seen a few photos and a brief description, then looked at it from the outside less than half an hour before the auction started. Little did they imagine that the many electrical appliances seen in the interior photos could be operated from three plug sockets, all of them downstairs...

Conversely, you can go too far with sockets:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65826048.html

Just imagine putting in nails for picture hooks.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2