A few questions from a tube newb

Guest LU Standard Stock

Guest LU Standard Stock

Hello all! I'm embarking on designing a small, simple London Underground layout set in the early 30s to possibly just after the war based on maybe the Northern, Piccadilly or Central lines. This is because as my name suggests I very much like the "standard" stock of that era. Problem is I'm very much a fan of the LU without actually knowing that much about the details. I was hoping some of you fine people could help me. :)

1) What paint colours would be the best match for the two-tone livery of the era? I think it was a dark red and creamy/yellowy livery?

621785601_StandardStock1928.jpg.7a470159352b2978c5a6b1f08a747d00.jpg1375761520_StandardStock1937.jpg.fe870776671494b101c1fc78e67aad27.jpg

2) Are there any good books out there that cover this era, the "standard" stock or the Northern/Piccadilly/Central lines in depth?

Any help is really appreciated and I'll try not to bombard you with questions! ;)

Edited by LU Standard Stock

• RMweb Gold

in my yoof, the early '60s, a book called Rails Through The Clay provided enormous insight into the development of the tube network and its trains. By Desmond F Croome and Alan A Jackson, I think an enlarged edition appeared in the early '90s. I recall specific mention of the power door design on Standard Stock. I think the original design had a mechanism whereby if you smacked the rubber face of the closing door it would obligingly re-open!

I suspect there are learned websites and societies which cater for the sort of detail you seek. 

• Like 1

Guest LU Standard Stock

That book sounds very interesting, I'll keep a lookout for it thanks. I will try and find other places to ask as well but Google can be a bit useless sometimes. :lol:

• RMweb Gold

A few suggestions for you;

It might be worth you considering joining the London Underground Railway Society if you're not already a member.  Its monthly publication Underground News is, I find a good read.

London Underground Railway Society home page 

For books try 'The London Underground Electric Train' by Piers Connor, published by The Crowood Press.  There's a few pages in there covering Standard Stock.

ISBN 978 1 78500 013 3

Finally, there's a London Underground forum that you might like to sign up to which contains a lot of useful information about current and historical operations of the Underground;

District Dave home page

I hope that helps.

Rails through the Clay and Mr Connor’s train book are both very good, both written with a combination of deep research and a fair bit of insider help.

To get a deep dive into the 1930s ‘look and feel’, try the LTMuseum on line photo archive, which contains a vast stack of stuff, including some pretty off-beat things.

And, there are a fair few LT and ex-LT people on RMWeb too.

I’m pretty sure that ‘steam to silver’ (which is several fleets out of date now) contains outline drawings of each (some? Most?) types of tube stock.

i gave my copy away years ago, so can’t check.

Another good into, if you can find a copy on eBay, is the book given to all staff as part of the Met 150 celebrations. It was written by the very knowledgable and enthusiastic director of LTM, and is exceedingly lucid and beautifully illustrated.

I don't tend to re-read books, but I have a fantastic book by a write called Christian Wolmar, called the Subterranean Railway.

It is fantastic, which I don't say lightly, covering the whole history of LU from before and beyond, and I think i'm right in saying (another reason why I have to re-read, my memory makes a collander look like a saucepan) it covers all of the lines and their preceding incarnations. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Subterranean-Railway-Underground-Changed-Forever/dp/0857890697/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=london+underground+history&qid=1570267319&sr=8-3

Hope that helps, and apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree with that - it might not be specific to what you asked for, but you'll come out knowing all sorts of things you didn't know or didn't even know you wanted to know!

Guest LU Standard Stock

That looks great, thank you! I have a couple of Christian Wolmar's other books I got years ago and this one definitely looks worth adding to the collection. :)

Guest LU Standard Stock

Also I now have the livery sorted thanks to a member of the forum who has modelled a "standard" stock car in the older livery I was looking for. Thanks everyone again for all your help so far, it's been invaluable! :)

Guest LU Standard Stock

Right so I have a very good list of books to try and get, the livery is sorted, just need to get the kit from Radley when it is back in stock. I'll post updates once I start the actual modelling.

Guest LU Standard Stock

Edit: I now have a copy of the utterly fantastic LPTB Rolling Stock book by Brian Hardy and so have found the answers to most of my questions. :)

1218359102_LPTBCover.jpg.5346df0a9ea4c50d2b7573d6b186a538.jpg

Also look at all that wonderful "standard" stock, this might be the best book I've ever purchased!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

If you have access to a copy of Brian Hardy’s standard stock books part 1 and 2 are helpful and also tube stock train file also by Brian gives details of the livery change. 

I am currently working on some standard stock of my own, including a 1927 motor coach, 1927 trailer, 1928 control trailer and 1930 ‘Watford’ trailer. 

Good luck with your project and I’m happy to field any questions as I have all the books I mentioned. 

• Like 2

The two Brian Hardy books were published by LURS in the 1980s, "UNDERGROUND" issues 14 and 15 which cover the Standard Stock in pictures. They come up for sale occasionally. Part 1 covers 1922-45 (ISSN 0306-8609) and Part 2, 1945 onwards  (ISBN 1 870324 15 3). They are well worth seeking out.

Edited by lazythread
missed Lord Of Narnia's post