Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

9 minutes ago, Markmiller2008 said:

Hi Dave

Are the Pecketts hard to get Sound into?

I'm debating fitting mine but can't find anyone who's done a how to.

Mark

I have described how to do it in the thread on Peckett W4s, in this section of the forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

I added some more junk, yesterday evening. A crushed and rusty oil drum, and a discarded armchair.

Bigbuffers-017.jpg.c139be0d54648afcd35dce3ddb4e520e.jpg

Hi Dave,

The last time I saw an abandoned armchair in the wild was the middle lane of the M58, quite exciting for all the wrong reasons. About half a mile further on I spotted a chap looking very worried with a trailer that held a settee and the other armchair.

Gibbo.

• Funny 6

On 11/01/2021 at 16:31, Asterix2012 said:

Maybe a couple of discarded beer cans next to the armchair?

I was thinking more whiskey bottles and a priest sat in the chair. Feck! Drink! Arse! Girrrls! But, seriously, I have thought about having cans laid about, but they'd be so small. Tiny lengths of 1mm plastic rod, painted silver and splashes of colour, perhaps.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

I was thinking more whiskey bottles and a priest sat in the chair. Feck! Drink! Arse! Girrrls! But, seriously, I have thought about having cans laid about, but they'd be so small. Tiny lengths of 1mm plastic rod, painted silver and splashes of colour, perhaps.

I’d say that’s worth a try. It’s amazing how discarded cans stand out in real life, with bright shiny colours and hard-edged shapes among the softer colours and shapes of nature. 

I wonder if some lengths of stainless steel rod would be a good start? 

Layout looks great, I have ambitions for an industrial shunting layout. 

5 hours ago, Ruston said:

One of BSC's cast off from River Don Works has found its way to Watery Lane and has been put to use. It's a thirsty beast, with those two Rolls Royce engines.

YEand07-004.jpg.f3818f02986f517eea6afafba90d800e.jpg

And one of BR's cast offs is receiving attention before being put on a low-loader, behind one of the Shelby Group's Leylands, to be returned to the White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam Co. Ltd.

YEand07-007.jpg.641ef4e8c81c42df28e16493d109d8c4.jpg

I think that's nice- the yellow locomotives really stand out nicely in amongst the greys and greens of the yard.  Maybe one of those Judith Edge YEC D2 shunters would be suitable?  Yellow/black all-over wasp stripe livery, you could say the yard got one off Round Oak or Bilston Steelworks when they closed?

One of BSC's cast off from River Don Works has found its way to Watery Lane and has been put to use. It's a thirsty beast, with those two Rolls Royce engines.

YEand07-004.jpg.f3818f02986f517eea6afafba90d800e.jpg

And one of BR's cast offs is receiving attention before being put on a low-loader, behind one of the Shelby Group's Leylands, to be returned to the White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam Co. Ltd.

YEand07-007.jpg.641ef4e8c81c42df28e16493d109d8c4.jpg

They've cleaned this beast.
Every photo I took of this loco showed it almost white with dust. I also had a ratty tarpaulin hanging over the radiator.
Gets cold at Peak Forest.
Chris.

9 hours ago, Sandhole said:

They've cleaned this beast.
Every photo I took of this loco showed it almost white with dust. I also had a ratty tarpaulin hanging over the radiator.
Gets cold at Peak Forest.
Chris.

Can you post some photos please, Chris? I haven't finished weathering it yet, and it isn't actually meant to be the Peakstone one anymore, but it is going on a limestone quarry layout so the pictures will be a help with the weathering.

Can you post some photos please, Chris? I haven't finished weathering it yet, and it isn't actually meant to be the Peakstone one anymore, but it is going on a limestone quarry layout so the pictures will be a help with the weathering.

I'll have a dig about and see if I can find them.
My photos are a disaster area and I still haven't worked out how to post shots on the new RMWeb site.
Chris.

• Like 1

Back on page 11 I said something about, and posted photos of, these Felix Pole wagons. I was never happy with the paint and weathering on them, so this morning, I took them back into the shed for a dose of paint and powders. They look far better now.

Felix-004.jpg.e0cdab5c367d3acca3100b4f1966fd8e.jpg

Felix-007.jpg.07a78d3ba3442c81721c402e235a57bd.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2