Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

On 11/01/2021 at 13:36, Ruston said:

I added some more junk, yesterday evening. A crushed and rusty oil drum, and a discarded armchair.

Bigbuffers-017.jpg.c139be0d54648afcd35dce3ddb4e520e.jpg

So that's what's meant by armchair modelling?

Stu:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Talking of armchairs.

It's probably a generational thing, especially as there aren't many engine left these days, but one thing I remember from shed bashing back in the day was the amount of domestic furniture about the place, mainly seating of various types and styles. One shed, can't remember which, had a red Formica kitchen table and four matching chairs in the mess room, presumably depot staff cascaded their own old furniture into work use.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Dave I've not yet managed to read all the pages pertaining to CSM & WLS so I'm not up to speed with the Scale you are building.

I can see on the front pages that it was oo but then you dropped that track plan and started the present one.  Judging from your recent modelling photos the models look O gauge as the level of detail you add I would think is only possible in O plus your photos look immense.

I am enjoying the read and watching your build but until I have played catch with my reading maybe you could tell which modelling gauge this layout is.  

Many thanks

Best

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Dave I've not yet managed to read all the pages pertaining to CSM & WLS so I'm not up to speed with the Scale you are building.

I can see on the front pages that it was oo but then you dropped that track plan and started the present one.  Judging from your recent modelling photos the models look O gauge as the level of detail you add I would think is only possible in O plus your photos look immense.

I am enjoying the read and watching your build but until I have played catch with my reading maybe you could tell which modelling gauge this layout is.  

Many thanks

Best

It's good old OO.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Many thanks

Best

Have to agree with you about how good this layout is, you really are hard pushed to tell in many pictures the scale. Dave's O gauge wagons were excellent as well, 5 of them now reside on my small scrapyard layout.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, BusDriverMan said:

Which component is the generator? The red apparatus between the smokebox and the running plate?

That's a screw jack. The turbo-generator is behind the oil drum.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Just exactly how did the loco get off the trailer?

Mike.

Very carefully?

Seriously, as someone who got Shanghai’d into unloading and loading a caterpillar droit off one of those trailers - jacks under the rear of the trailer, take the weight and the rear wheels release and wheel out of the way.  Then lower the end of the trailer bed to the ground, suitable dunnage and rail gives you a ramp, roll the diesel off.  Jack the bed back up, wheels back in (much easier when there isn’t a load on the trailer) and away.

The usual superb work, keep it up!

Owain

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

35 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Pretty much as Firecracker said. I believe it's known as a knockout axle trailer.

1269508709_knockoutaxle.png.09b76685f4afc41afbb1790e86c3ab02.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

I forgot to mention the telephone number on Alfie Solomons' 48DS. I wanted a London number that suited the 1970s and 01 811 8055 just came into my head. Anyone who was a child of the 70's surely remembers that from Saturday mornings in front of the telly? :wacko:

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

11 hours ago, Firecracker said:

Very carefully?

Seriously, as someone who got Shanghai’d into unloading and loading a caterpillar droit off one of those trailers - jacks under the rear of the trailer, take the weight and the rear wheels release and wheel out of the way.  Then lower the end of the trailer bed to the ground, suitable dunnage and rail gives you a ramp, roll the diesel off.  Jack the bed back up, wheels back in (much easier when there isn’t a load on the trailer) and away.

The usual superb work, keep it up!

Owain

11 hours ago, Ruston said:

Pretty much as Firecracker said. I believe it's known as a knockout axle trailer.

1269508709_knockoutaxle.png.09b76685f4afc41afbb1790e86c3ab02.png

What I really meant, in a slightly provocative/questioning /tongue in cheek manner!, was, where are the pictures of the exercise, we seem to have some good before and after pictures, did the shutter button jam part way through the operation?

Mike.

Mike.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

What I really meant, in a slightly provocative/questioning /tongue in cheek manner!, was, where are the pictures of the exercise, we seem to have some good before and after pictures, did the shutter button jam part way through the operation?

Mike.

Mike.

I’d assumed old man Strong made one of his appearances at the yard then, so anyone pointing a camera at something and not grafting would get short shrift.  Also it’s a bit of Solomon’s kit, so there may have been one of his lads, Little Ollie perhaps, or another of the Camden mafia about...

Owain

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2021 at 20:46, Ruston said:

I forgot to mention the telephone number on Alfie Solomons' 48DS. I wanted a London number that suited the 1970s and 01 811 8055 just came into my head. Anyone who was a child of the 70's surely remembers that from Saturday mornings in front of the telly? :wacko:

But surely that's a Shepherds Bush number (well known recycling establishment there) rather than Camden?

4 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

But surely that's a Shepherds Bush number (well known recycling establishment there) rather than Camden?

I wouldn't know. Once you get inside the M25 it's all the same and a place best avoided IMHO. I used to have to go there for work and I sometimes still have the nightmares.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 3