Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

24 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I wouldn't know. Once you get inside the M25 it's all the same and a place best avoided IMHO. I used to have to go there for work and I sometimes still have the nightmares.

Hi Dave,

Anywhere south of Crewe as far I'm concerned !

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

I wouldn't know. Once you get inside the M25 it's all the same and a place best avoided IMHO. I used to have to go there for work and I sometimes still have the nightmares.

Best thing about going to London is catching the train home!

• Agree 3

Anyway...

This thing is going to be the office for the Shelby Group transport workshop. It is a bit rough but it has been made from bits that I've salvaged from a wrecked and abandoned building that was going on the CVMR, and the old engine shed from this layout. I'm sure I could have done better, back in the old days when we had shops to be able to buy modelling supplies (anyone remember them?) and you could step out of your front door without fear of the Stasi informer neighbours curtains twitching.

AS48DS-023.jpg.0a242367ad10da25972f43f6f388e6cd.jpg

It will look better after finish painting, detailing and weathering and there's not much can be seen of it once it's in place.

AS48DS-024.jpg.2616a09186c493a83e14ea62ea88d83e.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 17

This guy came in the post, from Modelu, along with the workman with the toolbox, who featured in my previous post. I've already got one of these shunter figures on the scrapyard section, so I painted this one exactly the same. Is it the same man in two places at once, or his twin brother? No one has ever seen them together...

shunterguy.jpg.b8d838e28eeaf8f8c8143bfdb232fdb3.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, Wrenn said:

The figures from Modelu are really nice. He looks right for the layout. 

Can I ask Dave do you use enamel or acrylic paints.

On figures I only use acrylics; Tamiya and The Army Painter. I use both Humbrol and Phoenix Precision enamels, and the acrylics on locomotives and wagons, and for weathering.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

That grounded body looks very much like a cheapie Hornby NE fish van.  Did this one come in Birds Eye Fish Finger livery, or something even less believable?  I remember actually  filling mine with cardboard cut-out fish fingers.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

That grounded body looks very much like a cheapie Hornby NE fish van.  Did this one come in Birds Eye Fish Finger livery, or something even less believable?  I remember actually  filling mine with cardboard cut-out fish fingers.

It is the Hornby Hull & Barnsley style van and this particular one was actually in Birds Eye livery. I had the same wagon "Prime Pork", in green and with a picture of a pig on the side as part of my first ever train set. The set was a Christmas present and I filled the van and open wagons with pine needles that fell from the Christmas tree. I've had them in Weetabix and Kit Kat liveries. I've also seen Smiths Crisps, among others.

439185164_HBR-008.jpg.e5cfa2245f7a2358caa90c34f9427e3b.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Shelby Transport's Diamond T recovery truck. Or rather it will be when I've finished with it.

DiamondTOxford-1.jpg.d1763bb4aa6359aee500d21d01d9adc3.jpg

Never saw a Pickfords Diamond T.
Wynns had two depots near me so I saw their Diamond T's.
I have wrestled with a preserved military one.
Wrestled is the right word. She and I did NOT get on. Guess she knew I am a true Scammell man.:lol::lol:
Your wagons/lorries, are always a joy, Dave. I'm looking forward to see this done.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ruston said:

Shelby Transport's Diamond T recovery truck. Or rather it will be when I've finished with it.

DiamondTOxford-1.jpg.d1763bb4aa6359aee500d21d01d9adc3.jpg

A Pickford Scammell, for when you're not moving house, you're moving THE house.

• Funny 1