Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ruston said:

Fuel oil for the heating system at the Metal Box works.

Borderers-015.jpg.3ee892c647b244e0d0b5d6a510d10014.jpg

^ Airfix tank kit, with whitemetal Dowty buffers, from LMS. Brake gear uses spare Parkside parts. Rusting studs, that once held the ESSO sign, are made from short lengths of plastic rod.

This thread has so many examples like this one, of achieving exceptional levels of realism by starting with common RTR and kits.  Lack of money need be no excuse when you can create a wagon that looks that good, from a kit costing little more than a fiver. 

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/02/2021 at 11:34, Michael Edge said:

I don't think there were any industrial sales for this type of 05, I think it was only built for BR, plenty of the earlier ones in industry though. It looks good anyway - no reason why they shouldn't have been built for anyone else.

It's not actually my loco, Mike. I've done the alterations and weathering to it, and I've also fitted it with DCC sound. I am enoying using it and the sound prject sounds great, so I am tempted to have an 05. I don't know it it's that the flanges are too deep, or the back-to-backs are too narrow but it won't run on the section of track that's inlaid with setts, so if I do go for an 05, it will be the industrial version of your kit.

Some work on the layout itself.

I may have metioned earlier about fuel oil into the Metal Box works being an excuse to run a tank wagon or two. Here is the storage tank. I made the tank body ages ago and it's made by using scored plasticard, wrapped around one of those toothpaste pump thingies.

I have only just got around to making the handrails around the top, and the cast concrete bund, steps etc. It still needs an access ladder so a set of etched ladders are on order from Severn Models.

fuel.jpg.00b471c8432f235d3aab645d9308810b.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 17

The fuel oil tank is finished. I added a safety cage to the etched brass ladder by soldering on some rings of 0.45 mm brass wire, plus three vertical lengths of the same.

fuelt.jpg.5898594edb292ef1c26b7895785acc1e.jpg

The Ruston now has lamps fore and aft. They are cast whitemetal, from RT Models. The plastic oil container is a 3D print, from Hardy's Hobbies.

165de-028.jpg.ad0d798182432c4227f0509213ce8507.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I remember the Severn Valley bought a batch of Ruston 165s, from one of the West Midlands steel works that closed (Patent Shaft). I saw one alongside an 08 and thought how small it seemed, so a comparison with an 08, 165DS and 48DS would be interesting!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/02/2021 at 21:06, Northmoor said:

This thread has so many examples like this one, of achieving exceptional levels of realism by starting with common RTR and kits.  Lack of money need be no excuse when you can create a wagon that looks that good, from a kit costing little more than a fiver. 

What model making should be all about.

• Agree 2

On 14/02/2021 at 21:06, Northmoor said:

Totally agree.
I run Airfix wagons, detailed and modified. Being plastic, they are table top modelling.
Do not discount the origional Kirk kits, either. They might be a little 'flashy' but the wagons you can produce, with a little work, are great.
The whitemetal K's wagon kits are equally worthwhile. Mind you, they will,probably, be counted as collectors kits with a hike in price.

Edited by Sandhole
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The scrap area at Barnbow used to have heaps of swarf (machining armour plate does mean lots of very sharp swarf is generated) but very little in the way of plate offcuts. Lots of bits and bats of snall gauge pipework and the odd dud casting ... so your loads look spot on for variety and content Dave. Great work!

Baz

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You need a figure scratching his head and wondering "where the hell did that lot come from?".

Mike.

More like, how the hell do I sort this lot out! Looks very close to gridlock (or whatever the railway equivalent is...)

Those photos headed "busy times at Charlie's Yard" are spot on I have taken a copy of them for my ref file because the level of detail is both exquisite and typical of such a location. 

You show just how much detail you can add without it appearing awkwardly over populated if done carefully.

Great work Dave.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Those photos headed "busy times at Charlie's Yard" are spot on I have taken a copy of them for my ref file because the level of detail is both exquisite and typical of such a location. 

You show just how much detail you can add without it appearing awkwardly over populated if done carefully.

Great work Dave.

I reckon that if these photos were in B&W you'd be hard pressed to tell that they were of a model !

• Agree 5

Shelby Haulage, who shunt Watery Lane sidings on behalf of the Metal Box Co,. and who maintain Charlie Strong's fleet of lorries and locomotives, have turned to using oil to fire the steam locomotives. Waste oil, from oil changes on the lorry fleet, and from vehicles for scrap, is filtered and pumped into a storage tank. It is dispensed from a pump in the yard.

oilpumps-005.jpg.69889e516da02cbd0bf578dd6d598d29.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1