Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

What a very enjoyable time slot video watching the get up and go, then the the task shunting in really great surroundings, fantastic Dave. :swoon::swoon::swoon:

I'm about to watch it all over again. :sungum:

Best

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Lord Thomas departing Small Heath on one of Shelby Haulage's low-loaders and bound for the Peak District, for use at the White Peak Limestone & Tarmacdam Co. Ltd., which has become part of the Shelby Group.

LordThomas-013.jpg.cd70ab2a82471c74c6e427e2da9fbaf8.jpg

Call me an old fuddy duddy, but should the loco be chained on or restrained in some way, or is that going to be done round the corner clear of the operating lines?

Mike.

Constructive criticism and solution in one sentence!

11 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Call me an old fuddy duddy, but should the loco be chained on or restrained in some way, or is that going to be done round the corner clear of the operating lines?

Mike.

There have been a few trains that ‘fell off the back of a lorry’. Most recently a Pacer at Mid-Norfolk (which ran away down the ramp onto the track) but there have been a couple of locos that ended up with their flanges embedded in a motorway... 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

There have been a few trains that ‘fell off the back of a lorry’. Most recently a Pacer at Mid-Norfolk (which ran away down the ramp onto the track) but there have been a couple of locos that ended up with their flanges embedded in a motorway... 

In both cases, the result was an improvement: the pacer was (presumably) damaged, and hopefully beyond repair, whilst the motorway was in the early stages of becoming a railway...

• Funny 5

23 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Er... yeah,,, probably...

If I had some chain and some of those screw things, that look a bit like screw couplings, I would put them on for the photo but I don't. I need some non-working ones for the conflats and the containers on them but with there being no exhibitions to buy any at, I haven't got any. I'm aware these things can be bought on the interwebz but you really don't know what you're getting until you get them. The quality and finesse of this sort of thing varies between manufacturers, just as it does with screw couplings, and are something that I want to see for myself before buying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Er... yeah,,, probably...

If I had some chain and some of those screw things, that look a bit like screw couplings, I would put them on for the photo but I don't. I need some non-working ones for the conflats and the containers on them but with there being no exhibitions to buy any at, I haven't got any. I'm aware these things can be bought on the interwebz but you really don't know what you're getting until you get them. The quality and finesse of this sort of thing varies between manufacturers, just as it does with screw couplings, and are something that I want to see for myself before buying.

Hi Dave,

Turn buckle is the term for which you search, sometimes known as screw shackles as with screw couplings.

The screw link coupling was invented by Henry Booth of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 4

53 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I found Ambis shackles were about the best scale wise, but dashed fiddly, Roxey and Wizard are also acceptable.

Mike.

Has Mr. Ambis caught up with us in the 21st century, and can his products be purchased on the interwebz? Or must one send forth a pigeon carrying a bag of monies and a hand-written letter?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

On 17/04/2021 at 20:37, Ruston said:

Has Mr. Ambis caught up with us in the 21st century, and can his products be purchased on the interwebz? Or must one send forth a pigeon carrying a bag of monies and a hand-written letter?

Not quite - you have to email him but he responds quickly and you can pay by Paypal !