Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

1 minute ago, Sandhole said:

Once again, a work of art.
Marvellous Dave.
Chris.

Thanks, Chris.

It's another project that has been hanging around for far too long. I started it in 2017 and it was intended for the CVMR, only there was never anywhere to put it, so I stopped work on it. I seem to have lost some of the parts along the way but it seemed perfect to be finished as a scrapyard item.

• Like 2

I hope she gets saved.
I've always wondered if there was a steam survivor working at Strong's. A Black Hawthorn steam crane or something like that.
I'm thinking of the amazing shot in the Blandford Barton Industrial Locos book.
Now that would be a challenge.
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tar tanks, from a closed tar distillers, have come in for scrapping. This sort of thing would usually be cut up on site but there was a rush to clear the site for a new housing development, so they were brought whole, on the back of a couple of Shelby low-loaders.

BTTStanls-008.jpg.a55fc58d0a457161056e4f1ad986f55c.jpg

BTTStanls-009.jpg.e3e4b4895e2535de05325db44dc459d7.jpg

They are RTR items, from Oxford Rail and were in the Colfix livery. I swapped them with an RMwebber for something that I now can't even remember. I have thoughts of building BT&S again, but in 4mm rather than 7mm.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Tar tanks, from a closed tar distillers, have come in for scrapping. This sort of thing would usually be cut up on site but there was a rush to clear the site for a new housing development, so they were brought whole, on the back of a couple of Shelby low-loaders.

And 10 years later the owners of the new homes sued the developer over the permanent creosote-y smell coming from soil in their gardens.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

6 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

And 10 years later the owners of the new homes sued the developer over the permanent creosote-y smell coming from soil in their gardens.

At Cadishead near me, the former British Tar Products site took a lot of work to make the ground suitable for residential development.

And at the neighbouring Lancashire Tar Distillers site, you can still see rainbows on the surface of the canal as creosote finds its way up from the soil, drop by drop.

If I ever finish my current layout, I have plans to model part of the LTD tar distillery. I can imagine taking it to a show, and hidden underneath would be a primus stove warming a pan of creosote for that authentic smell...

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

If I ever finish my current layout, I have plans to model part of the LTD tar distillery. I can imagine taking it to a show, and hidden underneath would be a primus stove warming a pan of creosote for that authentic smell...

Just leave the lid off a tin of fence creosote, a tad safer?!!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

They are RTR items, from Oxford Rail and were in the Colfix livery. I swapped them with an RMwebber for something that I now can't even remember. I have thoughts of building BT&S again, but in 4mm rather than 7mm.

I should add that the tar effect is Humbrol MATT black. As a matt black it's hopeless but I knew it would come in handy one day. I repainted and rebranded them because they had the word 'Slough' on them. I once got a ticket, from a parking Nazi, in Slough, when delivering to shopfitters who were fitting out a bank. I've held a particular hatred for the place ever since.

Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough... :bomb_mini:

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

13 hours ago, Ruston said:

I should add that the tar effect is Humbrol MATT black. As a matt black it's hopeless but I knew it would come in handy one day. I repainted and rebranded them because they had the word 'Slough' on them. I once got a ticket, from a parking Nazi, in Slough, when delivering to shopfitters who were fitting out a bank. I've held a particular hatred for the place ever since.

Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough... :bomb_mini:

But the Trading Estate was beautiful - if you like that sort of thing....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 01/07/2021 at 18:44, Ruston said:

BTTStanls-008.jpg.390effcb64c2263fef7265ae78b0e8ba.jpg

BTTStanls-009.jpg.9664752390e6304c919ebd8529a4c3d8.jpg

It's a fascinating thing, Dave, that all the locos you had in 7mm on BT&S you can get RTR in 4mm.
OK, the Peckett is a different model but the rod-drive Sentinel diesel and the Ruston 48 are RTR, and the Manning Wardle and Sentinel are Hardy's Hobbies bodies, the powerdrives being RTR.
How the RTR industrial RTR market has improved.
Love the Hudswell.
Your old Fowler says hello from her new home,
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 2

On 03/07/2021 at 20:07, Sandhole said:

It's a fascinating thing, Dave, that all the locos you had in 7mm on BT&S you can get RTR in 4mm.
OK, the Peckett is a different model but the rod-drive Sentinel diesel and the Ruston 48 are RTR, and the Manning Wardle and Sentinel are Hardy's Hobbies bodies, the powerdrives being RTR.
How the RTR industrial RTR market has improved.
Love the Hudswell.

I'm not sure of that, Chris. There are a lot that aren't available RTR in 4mm, including some that have never even been available as kits in the scale. The Markham and the W6 Peckett for instance.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ruston said:

I'm not sure of that, Chris. There are a lot that aren't available RTR in 4mm, including some that have never even been available as kits in the scale. The Markham and the W6 Peckett for instance.

Point taken.

Another redundant BR wagon starts on its journey to become razor blades and Morris Marinas.

Hop13.jpg.c4aa2dcf0657815b9a3714ec099ccea3.jpg

The new PECO/Parkside 13-ton hopper. I had to make the axlebox covers myself as the kit doesn't come with any and the axleboxes as they come are nothing like any prototype that I've ever seen.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Asterix2012 said:

Was that based on an LNER design of hopper?

I'm not sure. They were built at Shildon, and they look almost exactly the same as  hoppers that the NCB used, so perhaps the design originated with the LNER?

25 minutes ago, 5050 said:

How long did it take to build and weather it?

I don't really know. I started it a couple of weeks ago and just did a bit now and then, in between other things.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ruston said:

I'm not sure. They were built at Shildon, and they look almost exactly the same as  hoppers that the NCB used, so perhaps the design originated with the LNER?

I don't really know. I started it a couple of weeks ago and just did a bit now and then, in between other things.

The NCB ones were built by Chas Roberts and even BR were turning out all wood hoppers (frames and all) effectively to NER designs so who knows? 

Adam

• 3 weeks later...