Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Ruston said:

Another one joins the fleet. I honestly don't know how many engines I have now.

The Brush-Beyer Peacock, from my workshop thread, is now finished, weathered and sound-fitted. The steelworks casting car buffers are a late addition that I decided to add as it has been completed in a fictional livery and do not come with the Judith Edge kit.

BBP-006.jpg.d89f3a27d0c17c6dd53c2819fd479906.jpg

BBP-007.jpg.aec9774d85a7c08dc3291e0efb73eab9.jpg

BBP-010.jpg.9c4d604f5a1cfbdbb8de4acdac7f1125.jpg

BBP-013.jpg.3b357967231cd9c20c08d11220345b6e.jpg

That's one of your best creations Dave.
The steelworks car buffers are perfect and have inspired me.
You are doing a great selling job for Mike's kits. I have absolutely NO NEED for another industrial kit, but the outside cranks on this Lady are REALLY tempting me.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1

Fantastic little loco, there, Mr Ruston, sir. Not sure why, but I look at it and can see the old Triang Dock Authority diesel superimposed over it, even though in reality absolutely nothing like! Or maybe, just maybe, Triang actually achieved their aim of creating a generic 'small' diesel loco sufficiently recognisable to pass as an 'almost was'?

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, SteveyDee68 said:

Fantastic little loco, there, Mr Ruston, sir. Not sure why, but I look at it and can see the old Triang Dock Authority diesel superimposed over it, even though in reality absolutely nothing like! Or maybe, just maybe, Triang actually achieved their aim of creating a generic 'small' diesel loco sufficiently recognisable to pass as an 'almost was'?

Steve S

I agree, Steve.
Barclay has shown what you can do with the Triang Dock Shunter.
The loco in it's basic form works fine as well, with a bit of tweaking.
Regards,
Chris.

On 30/07/2021 at 17:04, Ruston said:

Another engine to be used and abused before it joins the scrap pile has arrived at the yard. Simple vinyl stickers are now to be used to show the ownership of locomotives on site [this is something that C.F. Booth used to do with their own engines] and this Drewry is the first to have them applied.

Drewry204-038.jpg.db02aebcb811727f10017c3a7860f17c.jpg

I had to go back and check on your workshop Thread, to see if this was a motorised loco, or just a dummy, as so much of the engine bay is exposed.

Never mind "Like" or "Craftsmanship" buttons - there should be a "Freakin' Awesome" one just for this model !!! I vote this engine as "Model of the Year". Never seen anything like it before. It would've been impressive in O Scale, but in 4mm.... I'm almost speechless.  :blink:

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ruston I have enjoyed looking through your build of the Charlie Strong scrap yard. 

I like how you have captured the muck and grime associated with scrap yards. It's great to see your loco builds enter Charlie Strong yard now and again.:clapping_mini:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Ruston.

Ruston 48DS. 

Both with very similar avatars. :declare:

This is going to get confusing....  :scratchhead:

I'm Spartacus! Er, no.. Ruston. I'm Ruston!

I've had this avatar for well over 10 years and then a I changed it a couple of months ago to The Hound, from Game of Thrones and then to Daenerys Targeryen, also from Game of Thrones. When I changed it back to Joseph Ruston, I found that I had a clone. :D

• Funny 8

5 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Ruston.

Ruston 48DS. 

Both with very similar avatars. :declare:

This is going to get confusing....  :scratchhead:

So your names not Bruce Ruston then?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The engine movers at the quarries have been breaking things again and have kept the staff at Watery Lane busy, but now the Peckett is ready to go back to Derbyshire. Mr. Martin, the quarry manager, has come down to Watery Lane to test drive his engine for himself. This was encouraged by the usual crew, who went off to The Garrison for a pint or three and left him and one of the scrapyard lads to shunt the Metal Box works.

Thurrock-002.jpg.40ce357d3e8cc7dbec641f34b5b212f6.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

My own two modified Pecketts have joined the one above. They really are nice little things and are so enjoyable to use now that they have sound and Stay Alives.

12peckettts-002.jpg.45ca8d663d3ecb693ab0f651f60c5905.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I got my delivery of Accurascale MDVs, today. I think they lasted about five minutes before I voided the warranty. :D

The single Jenny Kirk one should be joining them soon. I was going to paint COND on my old Hornby Felix Pole 20-tonners, but they would have been around at the same sort of time, so I'll keep them in revenue service. I just need to make more scrap loads instead.

MDV-017.jpg.71fc01249bddbe5931bb56a9d0c06592.jpg

MDV-016.jpg.53628e9db95fa85e7dc3496bd5298f25.jpg

MDV-018.jpg.622eee058f340d113e8b94e952a4ffd2.jpg

MDV-019.jpg.73ed9c77bff6866340b7ef49e3fb27dd.jpg

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I got my delivery of Accurascale MDVs, today. I think they lasted about five minutes before I voided the warranty. :D

The single Jenny Kirk one should be joining them soon. I was going to paint COND on my old Hornby Felix Pole 20-tonners, but they would have been around at the same sort of time, so I'll keep them in revenue service. I just need to make more scrap loads instead.

MDV-017.jpg.71fc01249bddbe5931bb56a9d0c06592.jpg

MDV-016.jpg.53628e9db95fa85e7dc3496bd5298f25.jpg

MDV-018.jpg.622eee058f340d113e8b94e952a4ffd2.jpg

MDV-019.jpg.73ed9c77bff6866340b7ef49e3fb27dd.jpg

You can hear the flanges squeal in the first shot.
Great work, Dave.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Cheers, Chris!

Whilst I'm on a roll with wagons. I've had this 20-ton coke hopper on my bench for months. It might need a bit of tweaking to the weathering yet, but I thought I may as well give it a run now that it's got some couplings.

HCO-001.jpg.f6e54a24b48c5b90d4597c9a34fe6d93.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4