Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

32 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Is it because I'm Welsh.........................:rolleyes:

Hi There,

It may be because you ordered the wrong type of sauce, brown or tomato may cause consternation in some quarters should mustard be the "correct" option !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2020 at 23:05, 5050 said:

I'll have a dogburger with onions and ketchup and a white coffee with one sugar please.

23 hours ago, Ruston said:

We don't serve your sort; now can you move on, please? You're lowering the tone.

18 hours ago, 5050 said:

Is it because I'm Welsh.........................:rolleyes:

We don't do coffee.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 27/11/2020 at 15:05, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

It may be because you ordered the wrong type of sauce, brown or tomato may cause consternation in some quarters should mustard be the "correct" option !

Gibbo.

Not garlic mayonnaise then?

Stu

• Funny 2

I don't usually post box-opening but I've got one of these. The box was opened (No, I didn't produce a tedious video!), the loco was run up and down on DC, and it was then pulled apart for a repaint.

Katie01.jpg.fdbc7efa233a19d915ce14557eb17937.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I don't usually post box-opening but I've got one of these. The box was opened (No, I didn't produce a tedious video!), the loco was run up and down on DC, and it was then pulled apart for a repaint.

I'm fighting to resist buying one as a Christmas present to myself as well, but probably the "Little Barford" version.

I enjoy the Barclays, both the look and the mere fact they're available R-T-R for not too serious money.   Can't validate one right now.

If you're pulling her apart anyways, have you considered one of the Planet Industrials/Narrow Planet cab swaps?

I have to ask about the rusty gate protecting the shed.   Is it hand-of-god operation, or did you fit a servo?

4 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I enjoy the Barclays, both the look and the mere fact they're available R-T-R for not too serious money.   Can't validate one right now.

If you're pulling her apart anyways, have you considered one of the Planet Industrials/Narrow Planet cab swaps?

I have to ask about the rusty gate protecting the shed.   Is it hand-of-god operation, or did you fit a servo?

I repainted and weathered a 14-inch Barclay for someone and swapped the cab off it, so I will have one with the square windows in the rear. I'm sure that this won't be my last Barclay as I like them but one thing that has put me off having more is that the blue one has been little used due to it not having sound. It seemed impossible to fit it and Hattons themselves almost say as much. I have however, fitted sound to the blue one and now I've done it I'm confident I can do it again.

The gate is manual. I don't see much point in the expense and faff of working it by a servo. The hand of god uncouples the wagons and places loads in them, so opening a gate is a doddle for the Almighty. :lol:

• Like 8
  • Funny 5

I said that I needed a brake van. You wait weeks for a brake van and then three come along at once. The knacker of an Airfix that I got from 5050 isn't likely to ever take to the rails again because I got this beauty, second hand for a quarter of the new price. All because the previous owner had glued Kaydees to it, rendering the refitting of tension locks almost impossible. I hate Kaydees even more than I hate tension locks and they snapped off quite easily.

BV.jpg.fda982fa1433c9ef3667903624cc663d.jpg

All it needs are some 3-links, re-lettering to post-1964, or TOPS and a bit of weathering.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 02/12/2020 at 19:27, Ruston said:

Planet Industrials are doing a kit imminently to create the versions that ran on the Pensnett Railway/ Round Oak system, which might have a nice West Mids connection with your layout? (I've bought a Katie to convert for a possible midlands layout, as I grew up living near the trackbed of the old line)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ruston said:

CEGB Small Heath No.2, withdrawn upon closure of the power station in 1975 and sold for scrap to Charlie Strong Metals. She was found to be in good condition and, with 6 months remaining on her boiler ticket, was used by Strong to shunt the scrapyard and adjacent Metal Box siding.

WasKatie-010.jpg.c4f5559e7554e0985d5eb8aceabab484.jpg

WasKatie-019.jpg.df86204c8a254a67a4856546e2d4e189.jpg

WasKatie-018.jpg.702cf4eaba6f682af0768442617ac343.jpg

Shortened chimney and Ross pop safety valves, plus a different cab that was exchanged with that from a Barclay that I painted and weathered for someone are the changes made.

As usual, Dave, you've nailed a loco with small mods.
The paint job is a massive mod. Love the weathering and faded finish on the Barclay.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Ruston said:

She was found to be in good condition and, with 6 months remaining on her boiler ticket, was used by Strong to shunt the scrapyard and adjacent Metal Box siding.

He's a canny businessman that Charlie Strong ....does he ever appear in person down the yard, I wonder ??  :drag:

Edited by 03060
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/12/2020 at 19:59, Ruston said:

The loco formerly known as Katie.

CEGBBarclay-1.jpg.6749b1eb0cb0316757ce91c625b04146.jpg

Just received my "Little Barford" (Christmas present to self) in the post today.  Hard to get my head around how small it is, a quarter of the size it appears in the image above!  A really exquisite model which doesn't actually fit in with either my current or next project, but it's so pretty (plus you've demonstrated so impressively what can be done with one) I had to break with usual spending habits and buy a new loco.

• Like 1