Jump to content

Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Markmiller2008 said:

Hi Dave

 

Are the Pecketts hard to get Sound into?

 

I'm debating fitting mine but can't find anyone who's done a how to.

 

Mark

I have described how to do it in the thread on Peckett W4s, in this section of the forum.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Ruston can I say this is a fantastic little cameo layout. I have finally caught up reading and looking through the pictures of this layout build. Hats off to you Sir.:good:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

I added some more junk, yesterday evening. A crushed and rusty oil drum, and a discarded armchair.

Bigbuffers-017.jpg.c139be0d54648afcd35dce3ddb4e520e.jpg

 

Hi Dave,

 

The last time I saw an abandoned armchair in the wild was the middle lane of the M58, quite exciting for all the wrong reasons. About half a mile further on I spotted a chap looking very worried with a trailer that held a settee and the other armchair.

 

Gibbo.

  • Funny 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2021 at 16:31, Asterix2012 said:

Maybe a couple of discarded beer cans next to the armchair?

I was thinking more whiskey bottles and a priest sat in the chair. Feck! Drink! Arse! Girrrls! But, seriously, I have thought about having cans laid about, but they'd be so small. Tiny lengths of 1mm plastic rod, painted silver and splashes of colour, perhaps.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Funny 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

I was thinking more whiskey bottles and a priest sat in the chair. Feck! Drink! Arse! Girrrls! But, seriously, I have thought about having cans laid about, but they'd be so small. Tiny lengths of 1mm plastic rod, painted silver and splashes of colour, perhaps.

 

 

I’d say that’s worth a try. It’s amazing how discarded cans stand out in real life, with bright shiny colours and hard-edged shapes among the softer colours and shapes of nature. 

I wonder if some lengths of stainless steel rod would be a good start? 

 

Layout looks great, I have ambitions for an industrial shunting layout. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ruston said:

One of BSC's cast off from River Don Works has found its way to Watery Lane and has been put to use. It's a thirsty beast, with those two Rolls Royce engines.

YEand07-004.jpg.f3818f02986f517eea6afafba90d800e.jpg

 

And one of BR's cast offs is receiving attention before being put on a low-loader, behind one of the Shelby Group's Leylands, to be returned to the White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam Co. Ltd.

YEand07-007.jpg.641ef4e8c81c42df28e16493d109d8c4.jpg

 

I think that's nice- the yellow locomotives really stand out nicely in amongst the greys and greens of the yard.  Maybe one of those Judith Edge YEC D2 shunters would be suitable?  Yellow/black all-over wasp stripe livery, you could say the yard got one off Round Oak or Bilston Steelworks when they closed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ruston said:

One of BSC's cast off from River Don Works has found its way to Watery Lane and has been put to use. It's a thirsty beast, with those two Rolls Royce engines.

YEand07-004.jpg.f3818f02986f517eea6afafba90d800e.jpg

 

And one of BR's cast offs is receiving attention before being put on a low-loader, behind one of the Shelby Group's Leylands, to be returned to the White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam Co. Ltd.

YEand07-007.jpg.641ef4e8c81c42df28e16493d109d8c4.jpg

They've cleaned this beast.
Every photo I took of this loco showed it almost white with dust. I also had a ratty tarpaulin hanging over the radiator.
Gets cold at Peak Forest.
Chris.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sandhole said:

They've cleaned this beast.
Every photo I took of this loco showed it almost white with dust. I also had a ratty tarpaulin hanging over the radiator.
Gets cold at Peak Forest.
Chris.

 

Can you post some photos please, Chris? I haven't finished weathering it yet, and it isn't actually meant to be the Peakstone one anymore, but it is going on a limestone quarry layout so the pictures will be a help with the weathering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ruston said:

Can you post some photos please, Chris? I haven't finished weathering it yet, and it isn't actually meant to be the Peakstone one anymore, but it is going on a limestone quarry layout so the pictures will be a help with the weathering.

I'll have a dig about and see if I can find them.
My photos are a disaster area and I still haven't worked out how to post shots on the new RMWeb site.
Chris.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the Coil C that I showed back on page 15 but now weathered, along with all the coil carriers.

conflat1-005.jpg.71d8d8ab3c7a9589cd3900838ea1bb34.jpg

 

LMS type BR-built Vanfit. This uses an Airfix body on a Parkside LMS underframe.

conflat1-003.jpg.edb4644ff5db1d0720f1ccb1eacde9f5.jpg

  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on page 11 I said something about, and posted photos of, these Felix Pole wagons. I was never happy with the paint and weathering on them, so this morning, I took them back into the shed for a dose of paint and powders. They look far better now.

Felix-004.jpg.e0cdab5c367d3acca3100b4f1966fd8e.jpg

 

Felix-007.jpg.07a78d3ba3442c81721c402e235a57bd.jpg

  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.