Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Ruston said:

It's not going to be some marvellous and detailed rebuild but I hope it will look better than when I started. It's really just a pointless exercise in turd polishing.

One thing I do need for it are some better ladders. The originals are awful but I have no idea where to get any from.

TTA-011.jpg.aa237b961c8ccebb93192b7b3c98ec2b.jpg

You have better standards than I do, I think that looks really good.  I've done similar to my Hornby tanks - well improving the tank bit anyway - and they just need the ladders and weathering to finish. For ladders I have a packet of Ratio signal ladders for about £2, enough to do eight tanks, which are about the right rung spacing, the right width and most important, dirt cheap!   They will be better than the Hornby originals, which are about £1.50 each on eBay.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ruston said:

One thing I do need for it are some better ladders. The originals are awful but I have no idea where to get any from.

Came across these Dave. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-00-TTA-TANK-WAGON-ETCHED-BRASS-ROOFWALKS-TWIN-WALKWAYS-FOR-2-WAGONS-/143524736882

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks, Rob. They must be the ones I bought all those years ago. A1 models did all the exhibitions around here and it was before the interwebz, so it must have been A1 that I got them from.

• Like 1

I am jumping from one thing to another because I'm having to wait for materials, parts etc. before some things can move on.

This one hasn't been waiting for anything, except for motivation. I bought it last April and made a start but abandoned it after I built the cab and engine compartment. I just seem to have gone off kit building for some reason that I can't explain.

It is, of course, the Judith Edge kit for the Ruston 165DS. This morning I managed to put the frames together, build the High Level gearbox and put the wheels on. I can't remember what ratio the gearing is but it's probably 90:1 as that's what I put in the Fowler. The motor is a Chinese copy of a Mashima and cost a couple of quid. I bought a pair and, unlike previous motors that I have used, the screw holes line up with the gearbox etches. The other one is in the Fowler and it runs very well. I should have bought more as they seem to be unavailable now.

JE165DS-002.jpg.ceee057cbdf544e6d767ebbc9b835452.jpg

The rods are fixed temporarily with some spare Gibson crank pin bearings and nail varnish. I won't be using the Gibson crank pin bearings and screws. I will instead solder slivers of brass tube over the crank pins.

JE165DS-001.jpg.af00e960c080452f01a096ef1a82a20d.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I was just having a bit of a shunt and took this photo. I realised that the backscene has been missing something all this time.

08waterylane-004b.jpg.3a2764f079b556474f5fb76b8874689d.jpg

I have photoshopped the roofs in but I am considering painting them on to the backscene. I'm not sure if it will work though as in real life I am usually looking down on the scene and photos taken from a different angle won't necessarily look right either

08waterylane-004.jpg.8620e40b99696cdf1a8728db8963787b.jpg

Another one with the Photoshopped roof.

08waterylane-001.jpg.6ad0cdd8564bb57c03edd5104d7f0904.jpg

I suppose even if the painted roofs don't look exactly right from every angle, they will be better than nothing.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Dave

took me years to get my JE kit the way I wanted it.. It has to be a bit careworn.. no weathering yet ..

1239913861_Asenath1.JPG.5aa6aeaa8770ffc1e692f99de034ac02.JPG

and I need a new connecting rod from Mike as this was originally a jackshaft one .. a very early kit from JE. I convinced Mike to do the nameplate

I fitted the sound chip in my Bachmann 08 in the roof of the cab.. it was just difficult to get into the cab...

I used a cut down sugar cube and box behind the radiator area .. the Hornby 08 is easier to fit sound to!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Ruston said:

I am jumping from one thing to another because I'm having to wait for materials, parts etc. before some things can move on.

This one hasn't been waiting for anything, except for motivation. I bought it last April and made a start but abandoned it after I built the cab and engine compartment. I just seem to have gone off kit building for some reason that I can't explain.

It is, of course, the Judith Edge kit for the Ruston 165DS. This morning I managed to put the frames together, build the High Level gearbox and put the wheels on. I can't remember what ratio the gearing is but it's probably 90:1 as that's what I put in the Fowler. The motor is a Chinese copy of a Mashima and cost a couple of quid. I bought a pair and, unlike previous motors that I have used, the screw holes line up with the gearbox etches. The other one is in the Fowler and it runs very well. I should have bought more as they seem to be unavailable now.

JE165DS-002.jpg.8022850129f0cc95eeedea2246c62bc4.jpg

The rods are fixed temporarily with some spare Gibson crank pin bearings and nail varnish. I won't be using the Gibson crank pin bearings and screws. I will instead solder slivers of brass tube over the crank pins.

JE165DS-001.jpg.e4eba65046bf6328716c23577bb7f3e0.jpg

I used a few of these motors after your recommendation, they were very good but I think I might have had the last of them, my order was one short. Keep a lookout in case they appear again. The 165 looks good, is this going to be a DE?

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

I used a few of these motors after your recommendation, they were very good but I think I might have had the last of them, my order was one short. Keep a lookout in case they appear again. The 165 looks good, is this going to be a DE?

It's going to be a DS or at least that's the intention.

I have received this, a gift. It was surplus to operating requirements on their layout and was offered to me, gratis. I won't say who it came from but they will probably read this, so I'd like to say Thank You!

08623-2.jpg.8bac308c0b3b53809347186fadc59da4.jpg

As I already have one BR loco, and the plan for another was, and at some time is, for a Class 03, I am undecided whether to weather it and use it, or for it to provide the basis for an industrial - either a MSC Hudswell Clarke, or a Brush-Bagnall.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

4 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

Same here, then I'm biased, I've had a ride in one, back in the mists of time.
'Monty' is gorgeous Dave.:heart_mini:
Chris.

I like those ones too! I need to find my Bachmann Brass 08 for testing the track on my new layout, but its destiny might be that shape too, just a bit bigger...

3 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

I like those ones too! I need to find my Bachmann Brass 08 for testing the track on my new layout, but its destiny might be that shape too, just a bit bigger...

OOH I'll look forward to seeing that.:lol:
I keep trying to persuade Mr Edge to produce a 4mm kit for them.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

There is certainly scope for extracting the workings from this to go under an MSC 4000. If I recall, the wheelbase and wheel diameter are identical. 

Perhaps Mr Edge just needs to make a body kit in both scales? 

0C504376-2F55-46AC-8EF1-9EBF4B1745E5.jpeg.1519be81deefa231d8a115c0297b393e.jpeg1DFA2597-57CE-422B-9174-905C38AA4694.jpeg.35bd60cebe3183f801b84b87987905c2.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Barry O said:

check the chassis first Dave.. it may be very tight to fit that outline.

Baz

I don't see any problem. My plan will be to use the 08 chassis as is, with the false outside frames and running plate being extended. It's a fairly straightforward job. The only problem would be the motor but I'll be replacing the huge Bachmann motor with a 6-pole square motor so there will be no problem with it fitting where the engine casing drops down to the bottom of the cab front windows.

I am tempted though to build a new chassis and use an N20 gearmotor. Just think of how much weight can be crammed into one of these things - it would even surpass Hercules' haulage effort of 90 wagons plus brake!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Some years ago I saw a beautiful BIG model of one running on the Chassen Park track. I think it was 5” gauge and built by a former MSC Railway driver. 

4.jpg

Edited by Mol_PMB
Added photo link
  • Like 9