Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

The ballast and track are now finished and ready for the addition of grass and weeds.

Charlies-Yard--11-001.jpg.33e1c9522180c7df2d2fea73672a2386.jpg

I'm pleased with the look of the trackwork now that it's had rust weathering powders on the rail sides and chairs, followed by a blow-over of a general dirt mix from the airbrush.

Charlies-Yard--11-004.jpg.4e52867cb9156925f82ceee50024a62e.jpg

Other left overs from River Don Works were these Knightwing pallisade fencing gates, which now seperate the yard from the BR exchange sidings.

Charlies-Yard--11-003.jpg.6117b0ec11ceb108938a5751611a93fa.jpg

They're awaiting a couple of security signs that I have made using Photoshop. I'll also have to fill the gaps around and between the rails with sleepers or something.

Securityweb.jpg.bb1b542e9aae155a7e1122a4380c1104.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I have just found another figure from the old layout. He used to be part of a BR track gang but he's now got a job in the scrap yard.

Charlies-Yard--12-021.jpg.645619c24b237005ac7b3f6671088652.jpg

Just trying the lorry, that I built a few pages back, for size.

Charlies-Yard--12-025.jpg.22126240c6a8dec49a91895b2df387b1.jpg

More recycling.  This 13-t steel high wagon was bought for an EM project that never took off. I regauged it to EM and have now put it back to OO, weathered it and painted the rough white lettering on as something that's come to be cut up.

Charlies-Yard--12-018.jpg.46cf5aa9d34d900454e9bd9baed92ea7.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice, well documented build, Dave. 

A very nice layout indeed. 

Rob 

• Thanks 1

I seem to have missed a few updates on here, which makes it all the better to take in the wonderful atmosphere you have created (again!) , though in my minds eye its all happening in Sheffield not Birmingham - which ties in with the PB theme, cos my own g/grandad was a bit tommy shelby (series I,  maybe II version!) back in the 20s ;) 

Thanks for the comments, chaps.

Not a very interesting photo but it's a vital part of the scene under construction.

1055708691_CharliesYard16-1.jpg.ae77d4ff8cb731b0da44bdb647fb7bee.jpg

The first of two assemblies that go to make up the traveling part of the crane. I still haven't managed to get hold of any steel flat bottom rail for it to sit on.

• Like 2

On 12/03/2020 at 20:16, Stubby47 said:

Would there be a bar across the ends to tie the sides together?

If you mean between the long beams that stand on the supports then the answer is not that I know of. The cranes that I've seen for myself don't and I haven't found any on the interwebz with such a bar. With the supports being so hefty and firmly planted into the ground I guess there's no need for one.

The small crane still needs its traveling part, The backscene is now finished as far as the rear panel buildings are concerned.

Charlies-Yard--17-001.jpg.cff9035ecc92a8fa0e307a4fe8106bc3.jpg

The building with the arched windows is the lower storey from the Skytrex resin mouldings that I had to cut off to get the distillery store to fit. I've just added some Wills corrugated sheet to it. The building on the far left is just Wills brick and corrugated sheet, with a staircase added for interest.

Charlies-Yard--17-021.jpg.167b9091a0e9828b7b090751a8ca6a87.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

The stone to prevent cart wheels* hitting the gate post could be just called a Bollard.......

or you could go posh and call it a chasse roue

*Cart wheels project from the main body of the cart so could easy catch on things, on motor vhicles they tend to be "inboard" so don't offer the same risl.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I made this very short film to show the DCC sound in one of the Rustons and have added the background scrapyard soundtrack that I made. The whole soundtrack lasts for 30 minutes and, apart from the general noise of scrap, there is the sound of a BR train and a HST passing off-scene (but not in this clip), lorries idling and the sound of an oxy-acetylene set being fired up and burning metal is also in the full version.

I'm not sure if I will use it much as it's a bit of a din!

WHAT DID YOU SAY! :laugh_mini:

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The Ruston sounds great. I think the background scrapyard sound also works really well and adds an extra dimension to the scene. Just wondering what I can use as background sound to an ironstone yard. Probably just Paul Chetter's birdsong and some distant quarry sounds ...

Stephen  

• Like 1

The main scrap pile, to go under the large gantry crane.

I cut up some foam insulation and glued hundreds of bits of old and broken stuff and plastruct off-cuts to it until it was almost completely covered. As it is, it now has an all-over spray of matt black (which doesn't appear to be very matt at all!) from a rattle can. I'll  spray over the pieces with a rusty brown colour and then pick out some pieces that could have the remains of paint on. After that I'll see what I can do with washes, weathering powders and airbrush to make it look something like believable

Smaller clumps and individual parts will be placed after this lump is in position to try and blend the thing into the scene, rather than have it standing out of its surroundings. Pieces scattered between the tracks and in the four-foot, under the crane - that sort of thing,,,

Charlies-Yard--19-002.jpg.326dcec54c5e1de5668d1fa4c925631c.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2