Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

3 minutes ago, mike morley said:

Might that scrap pile be just a little bit too high and precarious?  The tiniest slip might make the crazy train go off the rails . . .

I don't think so. I've seen higher piles than that and large scrap doesn't work like coal or aggregates in a pile. It doesn't slip and find a natural angle of repose in the same way. I once climbed up a huge pile of scrap, made from large pieces to find some narrow gauge locomotives that were in and on it and it felt very stable. I think if it was shredded, or in smaller and more uniform pieces, it may behave more like aggregates and spread out more and so not be as high in the same space.

That may all be codswollop but hey ho. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 18/03/2020 at 13:14, 37114 said:

This coming on really well Dave, fast progress as well!

Progress may be even faster, now that I'm confined to barracks but I'm running out of yellow top Javis superglue. I knew I should have bought in extra supplies! I may go online to buy an army surplus NBC suit and venture to the model shop but, just my luck that the panic-buyers will have cleared the shelves.

I've been having a shunt with the "modern image" stock. I have added air brake pipes but I'm not sure if they should have two pipes at each end or not, so I've fitted just one for now. Can someone please let me know what the situation is regarding that? I bought the pipes at Doncaster exhibition, from Replica Railways. Some have what appears to be a canister under the pipe, at the headstock end. Are these for something other than wagons?

HEA conversion to HSA for carrying scrap.

Charlies-Yard--20-007.jpg.6862eb2074a85d8f41c927322cdf9147.jpg

Charlies-Yard--20-002.jpg.d727e0b88342c37bf70202693b6791aa.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, sb67 said:

Like the pictures of the air braked stock. Do you know what happened to the HAA's when they were used for scrap, did they have any modifications carried out?

I don't remember them being used for scrap, so I assume it was a later period than the 1980s, or the early 90s. Any interest I had in the big railway disappeared when the Class 66, and all those plastic passenger trains came in so if it happened this century then I certainly wouldn't be aware of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjc0LjrvKboAhWVTBUIHS7kAkoQFjAAegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmweb.co.uk%2Fcommunity%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F93014-msa-ex-haa-scrap-wagons%2F&usg=AOvVaw2SGzt2FkKxUE84AuP8E0l6

Hope this helps with info about HAA that became MSA , never seen a pic of them tho , IIRC i saw them  through Newport station when they were first  done.

Edited by bazjones1711
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2020 at 20:53, Ruston said:

I don't think so. I've seen higher piles than that and large scrap doesn't work like coal or aggregates in a pile. It doesn't slip and find a natural angle of repose in the same way. I once climbed up a huge pile of scrap, made from large pieces to find some narrow gauge locomotives that were in and on it and it felt very stable. I think if it was shredded, or in smaller and more uniform pieces, it may behave more like aggregates and spread out more and so not be as high in the same space.

That may all be codswollop but hey ho. :unsure:

If you can't blind them with science, baffle 'em wi' bull*@*@ etc etc!!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, sb67 said:

Like the pictures of the air braked stock. Do you know what happened to the HAA's when they were used for scrap, did they have any modifications carried out?

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

I don't remember them being used for scrap, so I assume it was a later period than the 1980s, or the early 90s. Any interest I had in the big railway disappeared when the Class 66, and all those plastic passenger trains came in so if it happened this century then I certainly wouldn't be aware of it.

wasn’t it HBA/HEA that we’re used for scrap, and not the MGR HAAs?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

wasn’t it HBA/HEA that we’re used for scrap, and not the MGR HAAs?

That's my typo mistake, I did mean HEA.

1 hour ago, bazjones1711 said:

some inspiration  here , click on pic to follow the link

Norton Barrow scrap yard

Thanks for that link there's inspiration by the bucketload! 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, bazjones1711 said:

some inspiration  here , click on pic to follow the link

Norton Barrow scrap yard

I did link to that site in the first page :unknw_mini:

On 05/01/2020 at 18:26, Ramblin Rich said:

Hi, the idea of a yard off a former main line reminds me of Norton Barrow scrap yard on the ex-GWR line south of Wolverhampton. It also had a big wiggly tin building. Some images here, including those POA wagons

Norton Barrow scrap yard

I made the operator's cabin for the large crane, today. It's a bit rough if I'm honest. It's times like these where I wish I could do the 3D-printing thing as it would be ideal for making this sort of thing.

Charlies-Yard--20-013.jpg.375ad858a30c414b469fe71e1616fb28.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 19

Today I made a diesel tank for fuelling the locomotives and lorries. I also painted a few oil drums and pallets. None of these are fixed down as yet. They will need some bedding in to the surface first. The idea is that the tank is replenished by road tanker and there will be a forecourt-type pump, as shown in a prototype photo several pages back. The tank is 20 thou, plasticard, Wills brick and an inspection hatch from an old and broken Airfix Presflo wagon. The pipes and valve are whitemetal parts from my bits and pieces box, probably spares from kits.

Charlies-Yard--21-002.jpg.cd14465c5640a49971332d4f45a23edd.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I've been working on a few little bits, including making a cage for oxy-acetylene tanks. I'm stuck as to how to make the pipes and torch. Any ideas?

Charlies-yard22-001.jpg.58b5148f5f0d87cb9249f1c1b941ffa2.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

To make pipes for torch use thin elastic , if you get some nylon elastic cord , rub the outside with some sandpaper this will take all the nylon off and leave you with fine strands of flexible cord . , you could use fine wire but wire always seems to bend where it wants to go  ! and is harder to paint ,  for the torch some brass wire or thin plastic rod

446219071_Screenshot_2020-03-28Modernimagemodellingin000andNgauge.png.e3bfa09dc44cf347ddbde0ee41193685.png

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4