Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

• RMweb Gold
On 13 February 2020 at 16:11, Ruston said:

For embossing the clay with setts I have this:

SoundRustons-002.jpg.8b05a00a1f99660b6ba5389116b65906.jpg

Couple of questions Dave, sorry if I've missed the answers above.

What is the orange thing shown above for embossing the setts?

I know you mentioned loading / unloading the wagons much earlier in the thread, what's the current plan / thinking?

Asking as as I seem to have found myself in what strikes me as a rather similar situation to yours planning on modelling a ex Goods Yard now turned scrap yard based on Wellington Street Goods Yard, Stockport... Prototype discussion here: 

Cheers

Ralf 

Edited by Ralf

The orange thing is a set embossing tool - this one was actually the first prototype.  It is Cnc d from perspex with a cover sheet. The long side does longer lengths, and the shorter sides does in between the rails for 16.5 and 9mm gauges.

The holes allow the thing to be washed out rather than get clogged up.

When I use these things, after painting the sets, I brush in a layer of ash to fill the cracks and weather them down. Very watery pva seals it in.

• Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, Ralf said:

Couple of questions Dave, sorry if I've missed the answers above.

What is the orange thing shown above for embossing the setts?

I know you mentioned loading / unloading the wagons much earlier in the thread, what's the current plan / thinking?

Hi Ralf,

Giles made the orange thing for me, as you may have guessed from his explanation.

The plan on loading is for me to place loads in the wagons. There's only me here to see it and I just wipe my memory of the last few seconds when each wagon is loaded. :lol: If the layout was ever invited to an exhibition I guess I'd just shuffle wagons about, both loaded and empty. No one would stand around watching long enough to notice.

16 hours ago, Giles said:

When I use these things, after painting the sets, I brush in a layer of ash to fill the cracks and weather them down. Very watery pva seals it in.

I think that's what I'll have to do here, especially where I've pressed the tool a bit too deep, around the shed area.

At the moment I'm making no progress on the layout. I'm not really happy with the scrap pile and the whole area around the cranes needs to be littered with hundreds of tiny pieces of rubbish and split scrap. I haven't worked out how to represent this. I saw a layout elsewhere on the interwebz that had got this looking quite good but when I asked how it was done the answer was swarf from an engineering works. It turns out that it wasn't a working layout but merely a static diorama, so short-circuits didn't matter. Obviously I can't use that on here.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

Giles made the orange thing for me, as you may have guessed from his explanation.

The plan on loading is for me to place loads in the wagons. There's only me here to see it and I just wipe my memory of the last few seconds when each wagon is loaded. :lol:

Thanks Dave, that’s a fabulous and philosophical compromise! I love it.... If you (as someone’s work I admire) say it’s ok I reckon that’s ok for me too! 

Yes I feel a PM to Giles coming on to save using the end of a ball point pen and doing 1 stone at a time... I see he does 7mm / ft etched versions... 

Many thanks for your insightful response! 

Ralf 

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Ruston said:

At the moment I'm making no progress on the layout. I'm not really happy with the scrap pile and the whole area around the cranes needs to be littered with hundreds of tiny pieces of rubbish and split scrap. I haven't worked out how to represent this. I saw a layout elsewhere on the interwebz that had got this looking quite good but when I asked how it was done the answer was swarf from an engineering works. It turns out that it wasn't a working layout but merely a static diorama, so short-circuits didn't matter. Obviously I can't use that on here.

How about adapting the technique of making static grass clumps? Spread some PVA glue onto waxed paper in the appropriate shapes then sprinkle on the relevant bits of swarf. Sealing the scrap clumps with a coating of dilute PVA as you would with ballast ought to insulate them. Then paint to suit, peel off the paper and glue into place.

As for material, the shavings  generated by using Olfa P-cutter blades on plastic sheet could  be useful.  Sawdust from a coarse saw blade might also be suitable.

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 2

Thanks for the ideas, chaps. They all sound like they might work. The problem then is how do you paint hundreds (thousands?) of tiny things such as wood shavings? I can't think of that one either. Brush painting is obviously a non-starter and spray painting would simply blow them away.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Ruston said:

The problem then is how do you paint hundreds (thousands?) of tiny things such as wood shavings?

Laboriously?

But seriously, glue them into clumps sized pieces for their eventual destination and then spray them, or lay them out on a sheet of paper and drift spray paint on them from a distance?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Thanks for the ideas, chaps. They all sound like they might work. The problem then is how do you paint hundreds (thousands?) of tiny things such as wood shavings? I can't think of that one either. Brush painting is obviously a non-starter and spray painting would simply blow them away.

Put some cheap masking tape sticky side up and press the shavings on before spraying.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Not if they are glued and sealed into clumps as I suggested. 

thanks for the ideas. I'll have a go with them.

I might also just have a go with the swarf. I'll experiment on a length of track away from the layout itself. If the glue gives enough insulation, and I'm careful about placing it then it may work. I'm not spending the best part of six quid on a bag of swarf though! I've got a friend who has tons of the stuff in his workshop. I'll have to rinse it with a drop of thinners and then leave it outside to weather before I try it.

Right now I'm experimenting with plastic shavings and ballast, shaken up in a container with some rust weathering powder in to, hopefully, colour it.

• Like 2

we have used  real swarf stuck down with pva  and wood shavings ( not saw dust ) dyed with diluted chrome /  silver paint   , put wood shavings in a tub , add paint then shake  to coat all the pieces  , you can add some rust paint and give it a quick shake to make the pieces look rusty . I have also used pieces of rusty metal broken up , the ground work it made to look rusty by using real rust , gravy browning diluted , tea , coffee all these techniques dont really cost anything , give them a try and see how you get on , will try and post some more  pics soon

Ps we have also shredded ali foil from milk bottle tops , yogurt tops etc... in an old food blender again you can add some rust paint to them in a tub and shake to coat them . Small pieces of paper painted rusty tones to look like metal sheets ... the list goes on  , basically anything i can find that will look good

IMG_20181112_215153.jpg.b5394a30b4bccc9e2cddba0cb84f06d6.jpg

IMG_20181027_104402.jpg.12c64c6d06fbbf9b661ed1ba92fc905a.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

you can make baled scrap from painted  wood shaving as i said  in previous post , than mix with pva glue and use the end of a Mc donalds ice cream spoon as a mould  , leave to dry and push them out ! can be highlighted with greys , rusts etc..

Link to our shipley /crossley scrap layout https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiSoMbq88foAhUXQEEAHQvmA_EQFjAAegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmweb.co.uk%2Fcommunity%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F126684-shipley-scrap%2F&usg=AOvVaw0UQk_n9wtKPdAW_H5EpP-E

IMG_20190101_215223.jpg.111b130b1027691adb721bd7289e633c.jpg

Edited by bazjones1711
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Osgood said:

Annette, a worker at the Douglas aircraft plant, Longbeach 1942

Love the cases behind her, two Wright Cyclones and a Pratt and Whitney Wasp. Proper engines, they is!

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2020 at 11:10, Ruston said:

Now that looks interesting but I wonder what all the different loose stuff is made of. I see that the loose ferrous scrap is actually ferrous and therefore would cause shorts.

Says this one is made of wood.

https://www.goodwoodscenics.co.uk/product-page/loose-scrap-fill-large-grade

On 02/04/2020 at 11:20, Worsdell forever said:

The pieces look a bit on the large side, if you look at the photo with a figure included. I'm assuming he's 4mm.

I've been experimenting with making some home-made scrap spillage and what have you.

From top left, going clockwise.

Baz's suggestion of sticking stuff in a food blender looks pretty good for fresh shredded scrap.

Sweepings of the shed floor and wood shavings, mixed with rust weathering powders.

Dried tea leaves. Not al all sure about this one but I'll see if it looks any better with some rust powder added.

Brass swarf, treated with a couple of drops of gun blue.

Charlies-Yard-23-003.jpg.6a3ee6efba34e53d854bc2330b2c048a.jpg

I've also painted up some Modelu figures.

Charlies-Yard-23-001.jpg.40e90220e5f0a11b77d61492d3e4aa74.jpg

Charlies-Yard-23-002.jpg.4650acaa1143650c93ba2377e818e6d9.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1