Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

• RMweb Premium
On 11/04/2020 at 20:21, Ben B said:

Crossley Evans is a fascinating place; still linked to the mainline but for various political reasons between the local council, Network Rail and so on, hasn't seen a train in a long time.  There are still about 5 shunters there, blending in with the scrap piles.  Something that might fit with your model are the two R&H 88's which are in use as buffer stops, rusty, overgrown, and battered; I've got a photo somewhere, I can try and dig it out if you like?  Might be a use for one of those old unpowered Knightwing kits and some scenic materials :)

Snapped from a passing EMU two years ago, one of the big Rustons that looks like an 07 (but is diesel-hydraulic?):

IMG_2268.JPG.e50faf2aaa51d2d18aacf5f5026a1e2a.JPG

My one of the 88DS is even worse....

8 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Snapped from a passing EMU two years ago, one of the big Rustons that looks like an 07 (but is diesel-hydraulic?):

IMG_2268.JPG.e50faf2aaa51d2d18aacf5f5026a1e2a.JPG

My one of the 88DS is even worse....

That's about the only way to photograph the shunters, apart from the road bridge that bisects the site... I spent years commuting trying to get a decent snap from the train too :)

The 07-esque is "Venom", I don't have the exsct details to hand, but I gather it's ex-Army and started on the Longmoor Military Railway; one of the books on the LMR lists its details and mentions last known location as a yard shunter in Shipley.

• Informative/Useful 2

The big Ruston at Crossley's is an LSSH type, which is the hydraulic version of the LSSE (BR Class 07). It would be nice if someone would produce a conversion kit for the 07 models. t would require a dummy jackshaft, new rods, new cab and etched overlays for the engine casing.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ruston said:

The big Ruston at Crossley's is an LSSH type, which is the hydraulic version of the LSSE (BR Class 07). It would be nice if someone would produce a conversion kit for the 07 models. t would require a dummy jackshaft, new rods, new cab and etched overlays for the engine casing.

One for @James Hilton and Planet Industrials maybe?

15 hours ago, Ruston said:

I ought to get the other crane done but the postie brought this on Friday and I couldn't leave it looking shiny.

ABH1-2.jpg.0893980b2deb22fafe2db88f92919868.jpg

So I slathered some dirt on it.

HattonsBarclay-005.jpg.d9f2f88a06c6b13a6f2ded0cf641ed36.jpg

HattonsBarclay-003.jpg.860b77d77ac979152bb6c7edd178e16f.jpg

HattonsBarclay-013.jpg.835bd775be92dc19575b243f10423215.jpg

Does the lettering come off ok on these? I've got one somewhere in the postal system and was wondering the best method of getting the lettering off.

Mark

• Like 1

I did a little more on it, today. I found a casting for an air brake cylinder from a 7mm loco kit, which adapts perfectly to become a hydraulic cylinder.

pressbaler-3.jpg.2275b13f0b6eb7c68b7d5e454c03a9d5.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Great photo's Dave, the layout is looking superb. It's got loads of atmosphere, the weathering and scrap are spot on. It looks like a layout you could see at a show and spend time looking at without anything running. All very inspiring :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Another wagon resurrected for use on here. I bought the 13-ton High goods years ago, for a layout that I never built. I've just weathered it and added it to the pool of wagons for BR scrap traffic.

scraptraffic-1.jpg.f9bcdcd3419140946b131471f5755459.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Three lions on his shirt. Nick is a football fan. He's tipped and is off for another load but first he's going to stop for a bacon sarnie and a copy of The Sun, so he can read the sports pages and have a look at Sam Fox's tits.

nick2.jpg.dcc613a9f883780635a4ac35a004b080.jpg

Well staring at Sam Fox’s is infinity more attractive than looking at his own ;)

Griff

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great photo's Dave, you just need a St Georges flag behind the seat of Nicks lorry now.  The internal user wagon is fantastic, what were the new techniques you used? 

16 hours ago, sb67 said:

you just need a St Georges flag behind the seat of Nicks lorry now

That is the really weird thing - if you watch footage from England games up to Euro 96, there are more union flags in the crowd than St Georges crosses. 1966 world cup footage and there is nary a St George cross to be seen. You can even see this in NIck's 1980s shirt - its red white and blue not red and white. So he would be more likely to have a union flag in his cab.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Most English fans were largely ignorant of England <> United Kingdom until the 80s/90s.

But it does mean that England's first team strip, white with blue shorts, is a bit out of step with what it should be. White with red shorts, maybe, reflecting that white is the majority colour in the flag?

If modelling 1996 onwards, you should of course ensure that most "England flags" have the wrong proportions of red to white, usually being too thin. (The red should be 1/5 of the width at the mast: the length is immaterial.)