Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

Wiring and point control.

I have used the same winning formula as on the existing part of the layout as if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's even simpler this time as I've made it to be controlled from only the facing side. Five microswitches, piano wire and electrical connector blocks to steady the wire. All done for under a tenner. I don't think you can even buy two of the cheapest point motors for that, these days. I will turn some neat brass ends for the control wires.

Each section of track has its own feed from the copper tape bus, which is connected to the other baseboard by leads made from redundant electrical flex. I have found a DPDT switch, which will allow a siding to be switched to be a programming track as I'm fed up of the bit of loose track hanging from under the layout that I currently use for this.

baseboards2020-6.jpg

baseboards2020-4.jpg.3d5ec2fdc83e543e78f8415993699ff4.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Track laying is now completed and the track itself has  had a spray of etch primer, followed by painting the rail sides and a wash of black. The cork sheet is being used to level up areas nearer to rail level in some areas and to save on the weight of ballast in others.

Charliesnew-010.jpg

• Like 17

Coil C were Diagram 1/004 and 1/007 Pig Iron wagons that were fitted with crude wooden cradles to enable them to carry steel coil. The 1/004 is an easy enough build, done by a few razor blade cuts to the underframes of a Hornby 27-ton tippler and fitting the ancient Trix Pig Iron body. If you can get hold of a Trix body, of course.

Charliesextension-010.jpg.c804e76ccec7c0fe9dcf338c7ff9b97e.jpg

I'm not sure how I'm going to get rid of the moulded numbers and letters yet. The 1/007 conversion will involve a Parkside 26-ton tippler underframe.

Concreted unloading area under construction. It's all just picture mounting card at the moment.

Charliesextension-014.jpg.66a35f0f93ef5adddf4aa40e06d26124.jpg

• Like 13

I have some very fine X-Acto blades that are only about 1mm wide.   Such blades would probably work to remove the raised lettering.    I sadly have no idea what the number on the blades is.   A No. 17 chisel blade would work, too, if it is narrow enough to fit between the braces.   I have also annealed and bent a No. 11 blade to a 90 deg. angle for similar restricted space.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

All three boards were up, last night,  for the test of the fiddle yard and a running session with the first train to run all the way through.

Charliesextension-019.jpg.afded8b8f8147fda1869bba4a5d2fcfd.jpg

It consists of four points and four sidings. I don't go in for cassettes, turntables and all that stuff. I was going to put a loco traverser at the end but it's not necessary  when a four-wheeled loco is easily picked up and put back on the track. It's not as if I'm using Pacifics and bogie diesels. I could have got more tracks in but I need to leave somewhere for all the wagon loads; these have been lying all over the bookshelves.

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

More work on the coil unloading area and the Coil C wagons.

The card has been scored with a craft knife to divide it into sections, each one painted in differing shades of the same basic concrete colour. A 3-course brick wall now surrounds the concrete, and ballast has been added to blend this in.

All three Trix pig iron wagons, that have been sourced from different sellers, have been delivered, separated from the old chassis and placed on new ones. The grey ones are on Hornby 27-ton tippler chassis, whilst the bauxite example is on a Parkside 26-ton tippler chassis. All need to have coil cradles built and fitted, plus lettering and weathering.

Charliesextension-020.jpg.4e163f588fe43ed9b681509fd4b4cc77.jpg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Firecracker said:

Just found this, absolutely brilliant work and a superb tribute to the series!  I’m now wondering if a Shelby group loco survived into preservation?

Owain

I've just looked in my IRS West Midlands handbook and, apparently, all of the steam locomotives did. :read:

Next up - Coil J. These were cut down iron ore tipplers. For this one I have used a Bachmann sand tippler body, cut down to size and a new top strip added. The underframe is a double-braked Bachmann 16-tonner with Hornby parts added. The other Coil J will simply be a cut down Parkside kit.

CoilJbuild-001.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

I've just looked in my IRS West Midlands handbook and, apparently, all of the steam locomotives did. :read:

Excellent!  I also understand Charlie Strong collects the scrap from the works at Sedbergh of the Lowgill, Sedbergh and Ingleton Railway.  Nice bloke provided you’re straight with him (he’s getting on a bit now, it’s his lad, Curly runs the show these days).

Owain

This is the workshop for Shelby Group road vehicles and locomotives. It acts as a view blocker to the entry/exit to the scrapyard board.

I plan to put transparent corrugated panels in the roof to allow light in so interior detail can be seen. Instead of having all the exterior brickwork as plain brick, I am considering painting the front wall. Probably white or cream.

charliesextension-026.jpg

• Like 13

On 05/11/2020 at 13:22, Ruston said:

I am making progress with the backscene.

charliesextension-022.jpg.cd164c69dd5b04b262d8b5ca6ef559db.jpg

There will be a concrete post and chain link fence at the edge of the concreted area. I'm not sure if that Coles crane would be up to lifting strip coils though.

charliesextension-025.jpg.9e6d65cfd81bf31e11eeea326ffc986d.jpg

Hi Dave,

the back scene looks good, coming on nicely. Would you mind letting us know who the northern lights building are made from ?

Regards,