Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

Thanks Dave. I like the minimalist loco facilities, I thought I didn't have room for any loco coaling/re fuelling on my micro layout but seeing that makes me think otherwise. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another wagon but this time it's not in for scrapping. It doesn't seem sensible to put scrap in wooden-bodied wagons but I have seen a photo of some what appear to be Diagram 1/044 13-ton high wagons carrying scrap, so I've built one as a bit of a change from 16-ton minerals. I need to change the middle links for Instanters and to get some TOPS numbering for it to be properly finished.

13thighwooden-001.jpg.5916f129d3a1b6a6afd031fadd8cf095.jpg

13thighwooden-005.jpg.956b264874000e36fb0d904767ff7720.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

The Ruston 88DS that I built for White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam has been taken out of its cabinet and aged by 20 years by weathering. It's gone from very tidy in the 1960s to getting a bit scruffy in the 1980s. The change of ownership has been marked by the addition of decals on the cab sides.

More importantly, the Dingham couplings have gone, replaced by 3-links. The fitting of DCC sound has enabled it to run on this layout and although no sound is yet available for the 88DS I have gone for the nearest thing. I have fitted Paul Chetter's Ruston 165DS sounds. It's the same engine in both, only two more cylinders in the 165 and both have a constant mesh mechanical transmission and air-start. Whatever the inaccuracy it sounds damned good and rorty!

88ds-018.jpg.2f70eda785a922b1bac2814d1b09dca7.jpg

88ds-020.jpg.1d17e5a7127328dc32083b1b671cfc3e.jpg

That's a lovely model (and fitting for a Midlands industrial yard).  What make is the model please?  Is it a Judith Edge kit?

12 hours ago, Ben B said:

That's a lovely model (and fitting for a Midlands industrial yard).  What make is the model please?  Is it a Judith Edge kit?

Yes, it is a Judith Edge kit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall that a scrapyard near me used to cut up wagons and that they were marked "COND" and  also had a large circle with a "X" in it painted on them. What was the significance of the circle and "X" - how were they derived?

Stu

4 hours ago, eastworld said:

I seem to recall that a scrapyard near me used to cut up wagons and that they were marked "COND" and  also had a large circle with a "X" in it painted on them. What was the significance of the circle and "X" - how were they derived?

Stu

It was just a marking to let railway staff know that they were condemned for scrapping and not to be used for traffic. It was only used on railway-owned stock though. Ex-Private owner wagons would have M.T.D. (Move To Disposal) painted on them.

• Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, eastworld said:

Stu

Hi Stu,

The circle with the cross signified "no brakes".

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 7

• 3 weeks later...

Diagram 1/117 8-shoe clasp-braked unfitted, converted from the old Airfix kit. Oleo pneumatic buffers, from Lanarkshire Models, brake shoes.hangers from 51L Models, other brake bits by myself.

clasp-002.jpg.a07370278e8a26f51d55ff3b56b57be3.jpg

clasp-004.jpg.770b2da55367a1fa78070d0c61f5b467.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3