Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

The figures look great Dave, like the camo jacket. Re the scrap trials, the two on the right look good and would look good mixed together for old scrap. The shredded tin foil looks good, as you say, for fresh scrap. I've seen Bazjones1711's crossley scrap layout and it looks superb. 

I love the name on the gantry - very much Boothys that touch :)

Quietly reading this thread seems to have lead me to buy a Hornby Ruston..... Not sure they did much work on the  China Clay lines  of mid Cornwall, so there must be something else afoot!

43 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Is that picture just posted the place at Keighley?

I seem to be  getting keen on scrap yards.....Then, as a young man I was often into em

It's the Crossley and Evans scrapyard at Shipley,  thought this pic has a lot of details in it if you look really close ! 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bazjones1711 said:

It's the Crossley and Evans scrapyard at Shipley,  thought this pic has a lot of details in it if you look really close ! 

Thank you -  I did mean Shipley when for some reason I typed Keighley there!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bazjones1711 said:

Crossley's Shipley

A lovely pic for you ruston 

Thanks for that.

That 48DS is the one that's now at the Derwent Valley Light Railway and is named Jim. I remember the Barclay going to the Middleton. I wonder what is the identity of the 48DS just to the left of Jim?

Apart from the locos, the pic is interesting because the nature of the scrap is different to later times. It's mostly big chunky stuff, with a little bit of smaller stuff but it isn't baled. I've been wondering how I could fit the shredding and baling equipment into the limited space that I have but I just won't bother now. It seems that what they did get of that sort was put straight in the railway wagons without processing.

Shredding and baling is used on scrap such as washing machines,  tin cans, anything bulky but light really, to increase the density of the load, so it doesn't cube out before it grosses out; and to improve handling.

The stuff in the background looks likes the remains of a former mill / factory, big heavy lumps that would soon gross out a wagon.

Both types of loads are still about, but shredded is more common; I suppose 'cos there are not many heavy industries left to take down.

3 hours ago, bazjones1711 said:

love the cement mixer !

The dog is better - it looks like it has got the right "character" about it :angry:

This thread reminds me it must be close on 30 years since I last used the gas axe " to make things fit in the pick up better" .....

• Like 1

That 48DS is the one that's now at the Derwent Valley Light Railway and is named Jim. I remember the Barclay going to the Middleton. I wonder what is the identity of the 48DS just to the left of Jim?

Apart from the locos, the pic is interesting because the nature of the scrap is different to later times. It's mostly big chunky stuff, with a little bit of smaller stuff but it isn't baled. I've been wondering how I could fit the shredding and baling equipment into the limited space that I have but I just won't bother now. It seems that what they did get of that sort was put straight in the railway wagons without processing.

Crossley Evans is a fascinating place; still linked to the mainline but for various political reasons between the local council, Network Rail and so on, hasn't seen a train in a long time.  There are still about 5 shunters there, blending in with the scrap piles.  Something that might fit with your model are the two R&H 88's which are in use as buffer stops, rusty, overgrown, and battered; I've got a photo somewhere, I can try and dig it out if you like?  Might be a use for one of those old unpowered Knightwing kits and some scenic materials :)

• Like 3

I've started work on the area where BR wagons are scrapped. It's mostly parts of old wagons and kit spares. There's also a skip to take wood from wooden-bodied wagons. I've seen photos of wooden wagons being set on fire at collieries to dispose of the wood but I can't imagine that sort of thing would take place so close to buildings. I'll have more wood on the ground of the cutting site.

Charlies-Yard-25-002.jpg.b10dbe475c6cb6e6944a33b3d5a18018.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Really good photo's Dave, I really like Fowler shunter. The scrap looks good as well as does the skip, it looks natural and not like it's just been plonked down, if that makes sense. 

• Agree 1

I *beleive* that some bigger * scrap yards had a shed specifically for basically burning wooden wagons wooden bits.

*not the sortta light iron ones I used to deal with, they made Charlie Strong look like a pillar of the community ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

23 hours ago, Ruston said:

I've started work on the area where BR wagons are scrapped. It's mostly parts of old wagons and kit spares. There's also a skip to take wood from wooden-bodied wagons. I've seen photos of wooden wagons being set on fire at collieries to dispose of the wood but I can't imagine that sort of thing would take place so close to buildings. I'll have more wood on the ground of the cutting site.

Charlies-Yard-25-002.jpg.6b827629864af09e2e9285a26d4e181e.jpg

I’ve been following this thread since it started it’s amazing how far it’s come along in such a short time, keep up the good work Ruston.

The wagon scrapping area you could have some grounded mineral wagon or van bodies, I’ve often thought of using spare Airfix mineral wagon kits on my own scrap yard layout If I ever get round to building it.

ben