Some photographs by Henry C Casserley

jonny777

Thanks very much. There are some great carriage photos on the RCTS site. I wonder if any of the E*****M variety are available in 4mm kit form? 

I suppose I could just build a few and number them that way, and hope no one discovers they never had the 'E' prefix. 

Seen at Hasland in September 1955, M198691 has been modified to become a mobile power source of some kind, (with onboard generator?). 

2019-10-09-0006.jpg.8db5b867cde49b3d9cc829e9ee66229e.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jonny777 said:

The sharp eyes of a photographer has noticed (and captured on film) this MS&L builders plate on 10T wagon number P157834 at Mansfield in September 1955. 

The big round one with the bar is a registration plate for a private owner's wagon. The 'P' number confirms this. The two smaller round plates show it was rebuilt by the LNER in 1941 and repaired by W.R Ltd in 1948.

• Like 2

Thanks Brian.

The tiny notes from the Casserley negative catalogue seem to indicate that it was originally FK 7377. I don't know if that helps or if I have even read the writing correctly. 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Seen at Hasland in September 1955, M198691 has been modified to become a mobile power source of some kind, (with onboard generator?). 

2019-10-09-0006.jpg.8db5b867cde49b3d9cc829e9ee66229e.jpg

I don't think its a genny van, but more of a staff mess/dormitory van for use by the Power section. I'd be very surprised if there is any power in it at all, more likely just a coke stove.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks Brian.

The tiny notes from the Casserley negative catalogue seem to indicate that it was originally FK 7377. I don't know if that helps or if I have even read the writing correctly. 

According to Mike King, S643S -S655S were originally Diagram 496 Firsts of the SECR 'Continental' stock. Renumbered in 1954 from 7376-81/83-89 and reclassified as Thirds to Diagram 54A. The A denoted that they had outward opening doors. The coach was built by BRCW in 1924. 7382 was lost in WW2.  

Must have been palatial Firsts as they had 6 1/2 compartments with only 26 seats in total.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

According to Mike King, S643S -S655S were originally Diagram 496 Firsts of the SECR 'Continental' stock. Renumbered in 1954 from 7376-81/83-89 and reclassified as Thirds to Diagram 54A. The A denoted that they had outward opening doors. The coach was built by BRCW in 1924. 7382 was lost in WW2.  

Must have been palatial Firsts as they had 6 1/2 compartments with only 26 seats in total.

I wonder what it's doing on the Woodhead line. The Mk1 next to it has an Eastern region number (so it's not a SR set). 

45 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I wonder what it's doing on the Woodhead line. The Mk1 next to it has an Eastern region number (so it's not a SR set). 

That's what struck me. Were it a decade later, it might be one of the vehicles the SR swapped for Mk1 stock, in conjunction with the Bournemouth electrification.

Were they 'convertible' stock for use on the UK leg of Lourdes Pilgrimages, with spaces for stretcher-bound pilgrims?

Mystery locos could be found in the vast acres at Stratford during the 1950s. 

This is 953, now an ER mobile generator; but originally one of the pioneer LMS 0-6-0 diesel shunters. This was 7055 built in 1934 by Hudswell Clarke.

24th August 1957.

2019-10-11-0006.jpg.14822cfc32de2cd693297a3707a5fec5.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I've seen other photos of southern stock on the Woodhead line, so it may not be that unusual. Though I can't think of a working that would need such stock.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

41 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

That's what struck me. Were it a decade later, it might be one of the vehicles the SR swapped for Mk1 stock, in conjunction with the Bournemouth electrification.

Were they 'convertible' stock for use on the UK leg of Lourdes Pilgrimages, with spaces for stretcher-bound pilgrims?

In Summer 1954 and Summer 1956 South Eastern section CWNs it was shown, with five others of this type, a declassified Low-window FK s656s and two Maunsell D2401 BCKs, as part of Set 262 which was allocated to Folkestone Jn for special traffic.

Wonder if it was red carded somewhere and the locals took a fancy to it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

In Summer 1954 and Summer 1956 South Eastern section CWNs it was shown, with five others of this type, a declassified Low-window FK s656s and two Maunsell D2401 BCKs, as part of Set 262 which was allocated to Folkestone Jn for special traffic.

Wonder if it was red carded somewhere and the locals took a fancy to it?

Continuing that thought Dukinfield just down the road was still doing carriage repairs at that time.

Stratford Low Level station 24th August 1957. This view is looking north with the line towards Hackney and Stratford works passing under the GE mainline straight ahead. The tracks bearing right in the foreground were a steeply graded spur to the main line east of Stratford station, and also to a small goods yard to the south of the main line. 

It appears as though the bracket signal controls access towards Stratford Market for both lines, and the doll on the right is at about 45 degrees to the one on the left, something I can't remember seeing elsewhere. 

2019-10-11-0006.jpg.f6f361c71e5dd18b9befac1061218675.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1