Z Gauge

I would like to know if any members have knowledge of Z gauge. Over the autumn and winter months I want to construct a themed micro layout. I just so happen to have a small board measuring 47cm by 52cm. As the board is small I thought that Z gauge would be a good idea. Can any member who has perhaps constructed a Z gauge layout suggest who are the best manufacturers. I have seen some German locos, rolling stock and scenery but I would prefer the layout to have either British or US locos etc. Also, is there one particular track system that is better than others?

Best regards,

Greg

As far as I am aware, there are no British outline Z gauge models available.  Having originally been introduced by Marklin, a German company, the most comprehensive range has always been of German locomotives.  However, I understand that there is now some US suppliers for those more interested in US prototypes such as Micro-trains https://www.micro-trains.com/index.php?_route_=z-scale.

Unfortunately, I can't answer any of your questions about best manufacturer as I don't model in the scale.  If you specifically want British outline stock, then I think your choices are either N or T gauges (9 mm and 3 mm gauges respectively).

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, yelrow said:

Hi I model z gauge and use Peco flexi track. As for locos and rolling stock, marklin, marklin, or marklin. Years of experience, great product selection, and helpful helpline. Johnny 

Peco is limited to flexitrack. If you want points, it's either Maerklin or Rokuhan (who use a track style based on Kato Unitrack).

Rolling stock: Maerklin do mainland European models with some American; Rokuhan are purely Japanese outline.

8 hours ago, yelrow said:

Agree about flexitrack, but it joins without bother to marklin points. Makes for better running in my view.

Because of the stress that flexitrack puts on the connection with points, I always prefer to use set track when connecting to them.