Wakefield RMS 2019

sir douglas

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 15:36, D9020 Nimbus said:

For one of the larger exhibitions, there's little variety here leaving several parts of the hobby unrepresented or under-represented: only one N gauge layout, no narrow gauge at all, no continental European layout...

It's a vastly better form of "imbalance" than will be found at another of the larger shows this autumn, supposedly a general show rather than a modern image event, but which I consider to be awash with N gauge layouts, diesel depots, factory-yard shunting planks, and largely RTR BR 50s/early60s themes, while being (save for one layout) almost totally deficient in any representation of railways before 1950.....

By comparison with that, I'm greatly looking forward to the variety at Wakefield.

14 hours ago, gr.king said:

It's a vastly better form of "imbalance" than will be found at another of the larger shows this autumn, supposedly a general show rather than a modern image event, but which I consider to be awash with N gauge layouts, diesel depots, factory-yard shunting planks, and largely RTR BR 50s/early60s themes, while being (save for one layout) almost totally deficient in any representation of railways before 1950.....

By comparison with that, I'm greatly looking forward to the variety at Wakefield.

Exhibition managers can only book what is available, affordable and of sufficient quality. In forty years of being involved with shows the "N" gauge question is a perennial chestnut.  People complain about it's absence or abundance. It simply reflects what people are currently building. The last three or four Wakefield shows have seen a continual improvement in the standard of modelling and the challenge is to find fresh "N" gauge layouts that meet the above criteria. The balance of layouts needs to be addressed over a two or three year cycle rather than a single show. I am looking forward to seeing this year's offering.

On 30/10/2019 at 11:43, enginelane said:

Hyde’s Lane O gauge replacing the withdrawn Prime Cereals 

84D7B2BB-ACE1-4E82-8DEC-5C988C0F1C0F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't want the task of booking layouts for a show for all the tea in China.

No matter what you do, those who don't see enough that matches their interests will complain.

My interests don't include N gauge and Continental railways. Previous Wakefield shows have been rather over represented in the USA and Continental departments for my personal tastes.

But I accept that others do like them and I don't whinge about it.

We all have the choice of looking at the layouts attending, along with the traders, then we can decide whether we want to go or not.

I will be there!

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I wouldn't want the task of booking layouts for a show for all the tea in China.

No matter what you do, those who don't see enough that matches their interests will complain.

My interests don't include N gauge and Continental railways. Previous Wakefield shows have been rather over represented in the USA and Continental departments for my personal tastes.

Good modelling is good modelling, as they say. There is definitely less interest in booking non-UK layouts due to British RTR standards slowly catching up with the better Continental and US mechanisms, even if they are still behind in other areas.

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

We all have the choice of looking at the layouts attending, along with the traders, then we can decide whether we want to go or not.

If you have an interest outside of the UK then frankly I find it a lottery, especially when a show will advertise booked layouts with only their name and gauge mentioned. Wakey surpasses in this respect as the descriptions are enough to tell me the era which then confirms whether I recognise it or if it's searchable on YouTube or google, etc. Accompanying photos would be better though, if possible.

Thanks to Dolium. As exhibition manager you plan as best you can and circumstances change with layout owners that require flexibity and recognises availability of layouts. At Spalding this weekend have good leads on 5 N gauge layouts and 1 foreign based layout. However 2 weeks ago told that present venue is not available in 2021 and 2022 so size, shape etc of those shows not known as do not know at present where the show will be. Over a period of years Layout balance evens out but what we want to put on is always a good show and I for one will not compromise that over have not got one of these or one of that particular scale etc. If that is a failing within me so be it.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, enginelane said:

Thanks to Dolium. As exhibition manager you plan as best you can and circumstances change with layout owners that require flexibity and recognises availability of layouts. At Spalding this weekend have good leads on 5 N gauge layouts and 1 foreign based layout. However 2 weeks ago told that present venue is not available in 2021 and 2022 so size, shape etc of those shows not known as do not know at present where the show will be. Over a period of years Layout balance evens out but what we want to put on is always a good show and I for one will not compromise that over have not got one of these or one of that particular scale etc. If that is a failing within me so be it.  

Sorry to hear about the venue issues. Any change of venue / date can take several shows to recover from. At least you are planning for the next but one event. Hopefully your visiting public will be understanding.

• RMweb Gold

Well, wherever the show ends up in 2021 and 2022, this reasonably local resident will certainly make the effort to attend.

The show is always a ‘must go to’ in my calendar.

Good luck in finding a suitable sized alternative venue Enginelane. 

27 minutes ago, doilum said:

Sorry to hear about the venue issues. Any change of venue / date can take several shows to recover from. At least you are planning for the next but one event. Hopefully your visiting public will be understanding.

Lost over 500 visitors the year Warley dates changed. 

Getting closer. PATtesting complete apart from the Tea urns. Hotel, refreshments booked, car park sorted. There will be no road signs this year as cannot attach to lamp posts etc. There will be a big banner on the railings of the Sports Centre and hopefully the biblical flood has been and gone. Anyone walking or catching the bus see previous posts on this thread.

B2A75756-C7A8-4B84-9AE8-1CF2855A7035.png

Being a modeller of American HO, i always like to support Wakefield exhibition when I can (it's the pies you know),if it wasn't for the likes of Wakefield and a few other show us American modellers won't get a look in, were not to everyone's taste, though judging by my last time I exhibited there,there was a lot of interest, even from the non believers.

Hope you get somewhere sorted 2021,i can feel a thirst coming on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We have secured the use of the car park in what is the former Wakefield College Thornes Park site. It is now used by the Pennywise Charity. This gives an additional 300 car park spaces. It is approx 300 metres to the Sports Centre. There is limited disabled car park spaces at the centre park. 

5BB24180-2C59-4C17-BD41-6D33021B368F.jpeg

On 03/11/2019 at 21:44, enginelane said:

Lost over 500 visitors the year Warley dates changed. 

Warley never seem to care who they affect when/if they change their dates.

I'd far rather attend still large shows like Wakefield where you still get a large range of layouts and trade than the massive scrum of the aforementioned show. Just because they are biggest doesn't make them best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/11/2019 at 20:33, enginelane said:

Good luck with finding another venue. I am sure you will.

despite the long journey for us, we have enjoyed showing our layouts at the show a couple of times as food and hospitality has always been good.

• RMweb Gold
On 03/11/2019 at 20:33, enginelane said:

At least they have given you decent advance warning for 2021 and 2022. There have been some instances recently where clubs only got a few months notice.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2019 at 11:54, Allegheny1600 said:

Warley never seem to care who they affect when/if they change their dates.

I'd far rather attend still large shows like Wakefield where you still get a large range of layouts and trade than the massive scrum of the aforementioned show. Just because they are biggest doesn't make them best.

There were long discussions between Warley Club and Wakefield Club about the enforced (by the NEC) change of dates. It was NOT dumped on Wakefield by Warley.

Good luck finding a new locationspellung.  You may lose your Friday opening though as potential school venues are only available for hire on a thursday/Friday in non term time.

But a changes of venue has its positives. A square Hall helps laying out exhibits and ...even more importantly allows for better aisle widths and thoroughfares.

Hope you can sort the venue out asap as forward planning is a big part of layout invites

Baz

Edited by Barry O
spellung