Wakefield RMS 2019

sir douglas

Good morning everyone,

After an enjoyable Blackburn exhibition on Sunday, my good lady and I are venturing to Wakefield on Sunday. We have never attended the Wakefield exhibition but have heard nothing but positive things about it and are looking forward to it.

All the best

Charles 

• Thanks 1

Never said that Warley and Wakefield did not communicate throughly over the changes in dates and the invitations to have a stand at Warley was warmly received. However factually that was the number of visitors less that year and also moved the show away from payday weekend. Having established this weekend as the Wakefield dates keen to keep as close to them as possible as not a lot of wriggle room without affecting Halifax, Leeds and Barnsley.

On 01/11/2019 at 15:43, 298 said:

Good modelling is good modelling, as they say. There is definitely less interest in booking non-UK layouts due to British RTR standards slowly catching up with the better Continental and US mechanisms, even if they are still behind in other areas.

If you have an interest outside of the UK then frankly I find it a lottery, especially when a show will advertise booked layouts with only their name and gauge mentioned. Wakey surpasses in this respect as the descriptions are enough to tell me the era which then confirms whether I recognise it or if it's searchable on YouTube or google, etc. Accompanying photos would be better though, if possible.

My main interest is in non UK railways so I accept exhibitions will often have very little or no layouts I'm specifically interested in - doesn't mean the UK based stuff isn't good (far from it) - there are a number of UK layouts I really like but either no or just one or two overseas layouts or trade will influence if I travel to a show or not. Its just the way it is I suppose.

• Agree 1

On 11/11/2019 at 08:43, enginelane said:

Thornes Park Sports Centre set in beautiful parkland. Why not combine a visit to the show with a walk in the park? 

325AE2BB-F611-427B-98EF-6B3981C2EE36.jpeg

E2F1A81B-083B-4912-B99F-E623E4916769.jpeg

Just misses my house!

Obviously not spectacular enough to warrant inclusion.

Edited by 5050

Chance to do cream teas though and make some modelling money 

On 11/11/2019 at 10:36, napierlion said:

Good morning everyone,

After an enjoyable Blackburn exhibition on Sunday, my good lady and I are venturing to Wakefield on Sunday. We have never attended the Wakefield exhibition but have heard nothing but positive things about it and are looking forward to it.

All the best

Charles 

• RMweb Premium

Whiteacres from Stafford Railway Circle is all packed and ready in the clubroom ready for its journey to Wakefield first thing on Friday morning.

All the members stock tested and ready for great weekend at Wakefield.

First time out for Whiteacres since Warley 2017 after some extensive modifications for easier running for both the operators and the viewing public.

Now very much back on the exhibition circuit .

Please come and say hello

Terry

On behalf of Whiteacres Group and Stafford Railway Circle 

• Thanks 1

1 day to go and it’s van to pick up staging for ticket desk, extra chairs from Gildersome, barriers, cabling, exhibitors traders canteen set up, signage, banners, library club sales and all the materials that support an exhibition from the club rooms.  Model trains come tomorrow! 

Come and support a local club based show with excellent exhibits drawn from across the country ably supported by excellent trade support. 

Friday evening 5.30 pm to 9 pm

Sat 10 am to 6 pm

Sun 10 am to 4.30 pm

• Like 1

I visited yesterday and thought the show was excellent. A great trade presence with some firms I hadn't heard of before. A very good variety of layouts with Calderwood worth the trip alone, as it always is, and several with an industrial theme to them. The 3 hrs plus that I spent at the exhibition flew by, wonderful.

• Thanks 1

I agree regarding Calderwood and I expect I'll enjoy Staindrop too. The withdrawal of Trowland is a shame. The social side of things and the presence of one particular society help to secure my attendance tomorrow. It will be nice if the trade side is serious enough to supply some of my model making needs.

A multitude of industrial shunting planks and geometric assemblies of modern image mass produced items, or worse still "out of the box" modern image items on industrial shunting planks, do nothing to attract me to any show.

4 hours ago, gr.king said:

I agree regarding Calderwood and I expect I'll enjoy Staindrop too. The withdrawal of Trowland is a shame. The social side of things and the presence of one particular society help to secure my attendance tomorrow. It will be nice if the trade side is serious enough to supply some of my model making needs.

A multitude of industrial shunting planks and geometric assemblies of modern image mass produced items, or worse still "out of the box" modern image items on industrial shunting planks, do nothing to attract me to any show.

I hope you come and see our shunting plank, Kirkmellington, nonetheless even with its geometric assemblies of RTR 16Ts and various RTR modern image locos portrayed in typical 1970s pre TOPS condition along with RTR buildings. As a treat, we do also have non RTR, non Modern Image locos and rolling stock and many non RTR building to admire.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

I hope you come and see our shunting plank, Kirkmellington, nonetheless even with its geometric assemblies of RTR 16Ts and various RTR modern image locos portrayed in typical 1970s pre TOPS condition along with RTR buildings. As a treat, we do also have non RTR, non Modern Image locos and rolling stock and many non RTR building to admire.

Its a very nice layout, although I would disagree that it is a shunting 'plank', going from some of the planks near you any more than two points is considered extravagant! It also scores over Calderwood by your stock staying on the track and not needing the dreaded finger.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

Ticks all the boxes for me

Thoroughly enjoyed watching Kirkmellington today. Well built; super locos and rolling stock, with well judged sound volume. Consistently good and realistic operation, with great slow speed shunting. 

Plus good chat and interaction between the operators and spectators.  

The pick of a very high standard of layouts at an excellent Wakefield show this year IMHO.  

Edited by 4630
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, family and other real life things have got in the way of my attending. I don't suppose anybody will notice!

I hope everybody has a good weekend and hopefully I will be in a better position to put in an appearance next year, wherever the show ends up.

I have only missed a couple of Wakefield shows in the last 30 years, so it is a pity but can't be helped.

• Friendly/supportive 1