LMS Palethorpes 6 wheel van

• RMweb Gold

On 12/12/2019 at 16:42, gaf2u said:

Fabulous Kit and build Ian, how do I go about ordering a kit (or etches) from you?

Thanks

Darren

Afternoon Ian,

I might be interested in a couple of these as well.

Thank you

Ian

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2020 at 20:55, dentdale said:

Ian, I too would like to order a Milk/Cream version; would you please send me details....Many thanks, Ian (Nuttall)

Hi Ian

Email sent, I suggest you now edit your post and remove your email address.

Ian

Edited by macgeordie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

i am getting ready to begin building the Palethorpes wagons you sent me but not sure about the decals. I model late 1930's to 1940 and would need the original LMS decals. Cambridge Custom Transfers do the ex-LMS but only does BR so is unable make an LMS version. Any ideas where i could get the right ones? John at CCT believes the lettering is different as well as the 'M' prefix so using the BR ones and erasing the M isnt the easy fix i thought it might be. 

Thanks

Ian

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, ianLMS said:

i am getting ready to begin building the Palethorpes wagons you sent me but not sure about the decals. I model late 1930's to 1940 and would need the original LMS decals. Cambridge Custom Transfers do the ex-LMS but only does BR so is unable make an LMS version. Any ideas where i could get the right ones? John at CCT believes the lettering is different as well as the 'M' prefix so using the BR ones and erasing the M isnt the easy fix i thought it might be. 

Thanks

Ian

As far as I am aware, the only decals for the Palethorpes van are the ones John offers. Without digging my books out again I couldn't tell you the difference between the early LMS version and the BR version. I thought they were pretty much the same but John is by far and away the expert on these matters, not me. You might find some suitable lettering in the HMRS range but as far as the Sausage emblem goes I think Johns is the only one available. 

Sorry I can't be of more help, if John can't point  you in the right direction then I think you are going to struggle. 

Ian

There are two pictures of these vehicles in Vol 1 of the Jenkinson & Essery "LMS Standard Coaching Stock", one (38773) in LMS livery and the second (M38732M) in BR days.

The main differences are that the LMS livery had "Royal Cambridge" instead of "Pork Sausages" and the pack of sausages logo was slightly larger, filling the entire width of the end portion.

Hornby's R6158A carries this same version of the LMS styled livery even though it's a GWR variant. If this was the same for the LMS vans then John's lettering would also be incorrect as it's yellow rather than blue.

Precision Labels or Railtec are two transfer producers who may be able to help?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Steve. I scanned the pictures here and as you say, the lettering size looks the same but the sausage graphic is smaller on the BR one. To be honest, i think i will go with Johns decals as none of the others do this set and i will edit out the M. I think i can live with the differences!

20200729_203712.jpg

20200729_203703.jpg

On 29/07/2020 at 20:41, ianLMS said:

Thank you Steve. I scanned the pictures here and as you say, the lettering size looks the same but the sausage graphic is smaller on the BR one. To be honest, i think i will go with Johns decals as none of the others do this set and i will edit out the M. I think i can live with the differences!

In the course of searching through my saved magazine articles, I found a 4mm scale drawing from the December 1966 edition of the "Railway Modeller". This shows the original Palethorpes "Royal Cambridge" branding so shouldn't be too difficult to concoct something to allow you to have a set printed and then to use the sausage emblems that CCT do.

• RMweb Gold

CCT have the transfers BL153a with Royal Cambridge on one side of the sheet but with the M prefix and he believes the size of the lettering might be different in br days. 

Did the LMS ones have Royal Cambridge on both sides or Pork Sausages on one side as per the BR ones? 

From his website;

Sheets BL153 & BL153a - Transfers for the BR ex-GWR & LMS 4 & 6-wheeled Palethorpes sausage vans to GWR Diagram O46 & LMS Diagrams 1955 & 1958.

Complete lettering and logos for four vans; (three at 7mm. scale)

Note that Sheet BL153 includes transfers for GWR O46 W2802W, with PORK SAUSAGES wording on both sides; Sheet BL153a includes transfers for GWR O46 W2801W, with PORK SAUSAGES wording on one side, and ROYAL CAMBRIDGE on the other side.

2mm., 3mm., 3.5mm. &  4mm. scale price is £16.00

S scale price is £32.00

7mm. scale price is £32.00.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ianLMS said:

After looking at the image again of his decals, the Royal Cambridge logo is stacked whereas the logo on the LMS vans are in a line. A bit of cut n shunt might fix that though.

Ian, have a word with John again, I’m sure that if there is any way of manipulating his decals to fit he will know, he is the expert. 

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have now made a start on the Palethorpes vans, and I have to say, what a joy they are to build (so far anyway!). The quality of the etches are superb, the detail is exceptional and the instructions are by far the easiest to follow and highly detailed ones I have come across. The accompanying photo's really do help a lot as well.

I have just finished making the removable door latches, so next up is the floor. Will order decals soon from CCT.

Do you make any other etches by the way?

Thank you and will post pics soon.

Ian

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Ian. I think i found the list on the disc with the instructions and pics. The photo below doesnt do the kit justice as im not that skilled but here is the current status. 

I am building both at the same time so progress is slower. I am working on the floor for the 2nd kit next before moving on to the next stage.

20201013_071020.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Almost finished applying the decals.

John from Cambridge Custom Transfers only prints BR era decals, however, he very kindly printed me off a special sheets of four large font Palthorpes/Royal Cambridge logos so i could use them for my LMS era vans. Anyone wanting to do the same must be aware that the transfers arent exactly correct when comparing to protype photographs, but for me they are close enough and i am exceptionally grateful to John for printing these off for me. I used the larger sausages from the BL153a sheet (ex-LMS), and the decals for the chassis are on that sheet as well (the LMS decals came from another sheet of transfers). So tiny, some you can't even read but the words are definately there. Incredible quality, strong and easy to work with, i highly recommend CCT for decals. 

As for the kits themselves!! Exceptionaly high quality kits with lots of detail and very very good instructions! Thank you Ian.

Lumps of lead are motorcycle wheel balancing weights. 60g per van.

Just needs varnish, fitting the door bars etc and weathering to complete

20201116_071538.jpg

20201116_071543.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The completed kits with very light weathering. The vans would have still been newish in the period i model so not too much wear n tear!! Thank you Ian for producing such high quality kits and CCT for the transfers. My attempt isnt up to the same standard as yours but i am pleased with how they turned out im the end.

20201118_065004.jpg

• Like 12

• 11 months later...

Don't know when you might see this message Ian, bearing in mind the time lapse; I still have not started the Thompson BZ kit I had from you a fair while back, what with COVID and other 'life' restrictions. I could well be interested in a kit for the cream van variant of this kit too, if you would let me know how I might proceed with that. 

Ian.  

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian

It's good to hear from you again, I hope you and yours are all well.

The cream van can be built from the Palethorpes van kit, you just need to leave some of the parts off the model, these items are mentioned in the instructions. I have one kit left in stock if you would like it, the cost is £49.20 plus £3.30 for p&p.

You can pay by PayPal or cheque as before, let me know if you need any further details to do this.

Cheers

Ian