Evening Star naming ceremony

Shooting Star

Hi all,

I'm currently undertaking some academic research which focuses, in part, on the development of British Railways in the 1950s and 1960s. As part of that research, I've been trying to track down a full transcript of the speech given by R.F. Hanks at the formal unveiling of No. 92220 "Evening Star" in March 1960.

So far I have found this one: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1243/jile_proc_1959_049_048_02?journalCode=jila

but much of it appears to be locked behind a paywall. Does anybody know of an alternative source?

Best,

Sam

• Like 1

I’m sure I’ve read the entire text in either an IMechE or ILocE report that I stumbled upon on-line while looking for something else ....... keep searching; its on-line somewhere!

If all else fails, try the IMechE library, where the original proceedings of ILocE came to rest. If you are a registered student or member of any engineering institution, they will help for free.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

A slight digression from the strict topic of this thread, but Mike Morant has just posted a remarkable picture of 92220, probably in March 1965 and, by the look of it at the very end of its BR career - seemingly just another 9F.

An interesting and unusual image featuring careworn BR Standard 9F 2-10-0 no. 92220, shorn of nameplates, hauling three 'dead' locomotives which are an as yet unidentified Collett 5700 class pannier tank (probably 4610 or 9729), Maunsell 'Z' class 0-8-0T no. 30952 and Fowler S&D 7F 2-8-0 no. 53807 en route from Bristol (Barrow Road) mpd to Severn Tunnel Jct. mpd. Both 30952 and 53807 are recorded as being present at STJ on 7/3/65.  Does anyone recognise the location where this shot was taken? I suspect that the train is travelling northbound from Bristol towards Gloucester. [Mike Morant collection]

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 6

On 07/10/2019 at 10:48, Shooting Star said:

Hi all,

I'm currently undertaking some academic research which focuses, in part, on the development of British Railways in the 1950s and 1960s. As part of that research, I've been trying to track down a full transcript of the speech given by R.F. Hanks at the formal unveiling of No. 92220 "Evening Star" in March 1960.

So far I have found this one: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1243/jile_proc_1959_049_048_02?journalCode=jila

but much of it appears to be locked behind a paywall. Does anybody know of an alternative source?

Best,

Sam

Try this for the speech:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_9F_92220_Evening_Star

2 hours ago, Pandora said:

From the state of the locomotive, I can understand why BR  lost interest in the preservation of Evening Star

Wasn't that because it was damaged at Cardiff and was deemed a scrapper due to twisted frames?

You can see the damage here.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/92220-evening-star/

Jason

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Wasn't that because it was damaged at Cardiff and was deemed a scrapper due to twisted frames?

You can see the damage here.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/92220-evening-star/

Jason

I recall reading an account of Evening star,  BR lost interest, an individual tried to buy the locomotive for private preservation, a few false starts later  the individual dropped out,  the locomotive was renovated at Crewe Works, the Works manager authorised the renovation without the permission of BR HQ.

As for the damage to 92220,  as a regular visitor to NRM,  I have looked for the evidence ahead of the cylinders and the frames, I cannot see any signs of the accident repair,  if all that was damaged was the buffer beam and the running plate which should be an easy repair for shed fitter or blacksmith

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Premium

There has been that long held rumour that the current Evening Star is a different 9F's frames with the original boiler etc swapped over during that accident damage rebuild.

14 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

There has been that long held rumour that the current Evening Star is a different 9F's frames with the original boiler etc swapped over during that accident damage rebuild.

There has indeed, but hasn't it been debunked? Perhaps Sir Haydn of this parish can confirm?

Mark

Edited by MarkC

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

There was the 'other' rumour that it was/is just another 9F......I thought parts were stamped so thus must be urban myth?