This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 6 - Semi-final 1 - 'Myths, Monsters, Legends and Fables'

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Donw said:

You are quite right of course. The issue is whether the program is doing us a service  by promoting railway modelling, a disservice by suggesting it is full of gimmicks and the like or whether it matters one jot either way.

I have an image in my mind of someone having seen the program coming along to the local club and finding the members involved in a discussion of whether a cetain loco had riveted or welded tanks and when did the GWR change from red to grey for wagons. 

Perhaps we need to lighten a little and maybe channel 5 could follow up by showing more of what we do.

Don 

It's not up to Ch5 to do us a service or disservice. They and KBG need to make a show advertisers pay to be in. All the moaning in the world won't change this.

We are where we are. It is OUR job go make the best of it. Perhaps if we steered new people away from the grumpy old blokes arguing about minutiae initially it would be a start.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

22 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Here's a working Dutch barge based on the Faller system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JLhgX9kAeA

It's described in a recent Continental Modeller.

A nicely modelled vision of rural Holland.  The sailing barge even has the correct leeboards on the sides to stop it going sideways into the reeds!

But yes, in real life you'd see occasional disturbances in the water behind the swan, and a chuckle of water at the bow of the barge.  However, seeing as everything else apart from the trains were "frozen solid" I can forgive the lack of water animation!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 17/10/2019 at 17:06, LocoLadies CF said:

To be fair - the crochet trees had a purpose. The rules stated that there were supposed to be additional points available for trees that were hand made but I think Kathy deducted rather than added points for them. The ‘points’ were the reason I persisted in making them .... long past the stage where I was bored by the process. 

I was so pleased Tim talked to me about my dads boat. He died many many years ago, but would have loved this show. He had a wicked sense of humour.

Say hello to Neil from us when you see him. The Cambrian Coasters were good ‘neighbours’  to have in the contest!! In fact you are right, the atmosphere between all the teams in our heat was excellent. 

ADBB5DD3-56A4-4404-90F9-966C145BE784.jpeg

same reason we made lots of trees in our heat from seagrass. The rules had so much about points being awarded for so many technical things, only for judging to ignore all that and go only on the subjective opinions of two people. It was a bit like trying to judge a Jackson Pollock against a Van Gogh without using any objective framework to do it and relying instead only on personal preference. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

It's not up to Ch5 to do us a service or disservice. They and KBG need to make a show advertisers pay to be in. All the moaning in the world won't change this.

We are where we are. It is OUR job go make the best of it. Perhaps if we steered new people away from the grumpy old blokes arguing about minutiae initially it would be a start.

Maybe those of us who've decided this isn't for us would be less inclined to comment if we had the option to "ignore" the GMRC threads.

You certainly wouldn't get another peep out of me on the subject.:angel:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Maybe those of us who've decided this isn't for us would be less inclined to comment if we had the option to "ignore" the GMRC threads.

THAT'S where @AY Mod is. He's holding a gun to the heads of people and making them click to read threads they don't want to, and then forcing them to comment. And I thought he'd just nipped out for a fag!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

THAT'S where @AY Mod is. He's holding a gun to the heads of people and making them click to read threads they don't want to, and then forcing them to comment. And I thought he'd just nipped out for a fag!

Don't you mean an "important phone call" - or was I just thinking about RMweb Live?

Actually, it doesn't matter what show I was thinking about - it was a number of years in the past - and that's where it looks like staying.

Anyway, turning to the malarkey about ignoring threads, there might well have been an "ignore thread" option in a previous version of this website - but I usually manage to ignore threads that don't interest (or affect) me regardless. I just don't bother looking at them.

(Sorry if I sound a bit grumpy at the moment. Various issues connected with my parents' health mean that I haven't had a decent night's sleep for ages.)

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

A nicely modelled vision of rural Holland.  The sailing barge even has the correct leeboards on the sides to stop it going sideways into the reeds!

But yes, in real life you'd see occasional disturbances in the water behind the swan, and a chuckle of water at the bow of the barge.  However, seeing as everything else apart from the trains were "frozen solid" I can forgive the lack of water animation!

Simply beautiful modelling - thank you for sharing (it appeared a few posts back, but I'm only just catching up). 

If the absence of water animation hadn't been pointed out, I doubt I'd have even noticed it (it's no more absent than people movement, which I allow my brain to filter out, so I agree with Hroth, though it was good to see the bridge lifted).

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

:jester:

It has reactivated something I've been curious about for ages, though.

Why can we "ignore" some threads and not others?

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'd propose it's the sort of animation that would do more for the hobby than a volcano ........

• Like 2

Something interesting that I’ve run across: when the current series started I had a few friends and a relative tell me (knowing that I have an interest in model railways) they had watched the first episode and were planning on watching the rest. Sadly as the series has progressed they’ve all dropped off and stopped watching. When I asked why, a few of them said the reason they’d stopped was because the show didn’t seem to be so much about the trains/railway and so they lost interest. Obviously this isn’t a large sampling of the general public (and it also wasn’t the only reason they’d stopped watching either) but I did find it an interesting reaction from those who are outside the hobby.

(For my part, I think the show is alright. Yes there's things I'd change but overall it's a bit of harmless fun and is fairly entertaining :) )

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

I am guessing because it was started by an admin not a general user.

But surely we all have the ability just to walk on by without the need for an app or a button to do it for us?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I am guessing because it was started by an admin not a general user.

But surely we all have the ability just to walk on by without the need for an app or a button to do it for us?

True, but it would avoid much repetitive scrolling.:jester: 

• RMweb Premium

Not all blokes at Clubs, gathered in a corner, are "...grumpy old blokes". Some are even quite a good laugh and may be old, middle aged or even young. I know this was meant in fun, however...……………..those very 'grumpy old blokes' may well be the ones that will be the first to encourage, demonstrate, support and mentor others and especially new people.  How do I know this...……..?

Sincerely,

Phil (another one).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/10/2019 at 11:01, Dunsignalling said:

You certainly wouldn't get another peep out of me on the subject.:angel:

John

On 19/10/2019 at 12:24, Dunsignalling said:

John

You can ignore them by setting up your own VNC streams.

E.g. this setting will give you only threads and blogs you follow:   https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/1287/

Or if that's too restrictive, a setting like this will show you only selected areas of the site: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/1448/

Adjust as desired.

Since I've started using selective streams, I have a much better experience of RMweb. It quickly becomes evident where the aggro is (my own or others'!) , and so you can simply filter those threads or areas out. If you're felling adventurous, you can always have a look through "All Activity" or the general VNC stream.

Edited by Mikkel
Edited to clarify
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

True, but it would avoid much repetitive scrolling.:jester: 

Sorry, but I don't understand that; I use RMWeb by scrolling through 'View New Content', Topics I don't think will interest me I simply do not click on. I don't find scrolling through the list a chore or particularly repetitive, in fact sometimes I stumble across unexpected gems !

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Viewing figures for this episode are now out from BARB.

It was the 15th most watched show on C5 that week, with 822,281 viewers - up on the previous weeks 658k, but still well down on the million or so it got on a Friday night.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3