This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 7 - Semi-final 2 - 'Blockbusters' - 6.15pm

• Moderators

Sat 19 Oct

6.15 - 7.30pm Channel 5

SUMMARY

The three teams in the second semi-final are challenged to build a track based on a blockbuster movie in just three days. The Railmen of Kent recreate the wizarding world of Harry Potter, complete with broomsticks, giant spiders and enchanted cars. Wild card entry Muddle and Go Nowhere base their track on James Bond, while Who's Counting Rivets pay homage to Jurassic Park with a dinosaur-infested creation.

• Moderators

Another change! OP changed accordingly.

2 minutes ago, Professor Yaffle said:

FYI Guys

Series 2 - Episode 7
Semi-Final 2: Blockbusters
Sat 19th 6.15-7.30pm

Another slight change in broadcast times, is Love Island on?

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Need to pay attention - I thought this was saying GMRC is going to be on after Blockbusters.

Thoughts of: "I'll have a double-O please, Bob."

Surely one of those tiny Southern engines?  "I'll have a P please Bob"

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, noiseboy72 said:

We did consider a skit on the Blockbusters TV show, but were told quite firmly it was feature films only!!

I sketched out a layout idea featuring a large demolition site with animations of buildings being knocked down and got a plaintive email from Pat saying "we never expected anyone to take it literally ....". Then I had to come up with something else

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, whart57 said:

I sketched out a layout idea featuring a large demolition site with animations of buildings being knocked down and got a plaintive email from Pat saying "we never expected anyone to take it literally ....". Then I had to come up with something else

Well I guess it was either that or tell him that you'd got your idea from "Demolition Man" ... .

OK - we all know the drill by now: Hat - coat - another building's gone ... .

Huw. 

• Like 1

We was robbed!

No, in all honesty, the other layouts were fantastic and we wish the teams all the best.

A couple of points of order... There were 2 other scratch builds that Chris built that were not in the show. We made a sound man with long boom mic and a war memorial for the town square. In hindsight, we should have binned the chimney, but it made for some colour on TV. The pause with the car on the track was much less than shown - we had to re-shoot it from another angle and add in the pause. To all the team's credit, all the animations worked really well.

What held us up on Day 2 was using a Dremel cutting the slot for the guide wire for the bus. Everytime we started, we got told to be quiet due to other filming. I then lost the wide roll of tape we had - never did find it, so had to use multiple pieces of the thinner tape. This was not visible once we had painted it and weathered it in, but we knew it would get picked up.

Our layout was simpler than the other 2 in terms of track plan, but we also modified 11 items of rolling stock, built 12 Metcalfe kits, 3 plastic kits and very successfully installed a river, 4 bridges and the car launch mechanism.

We really enjoyed making the show - even with the early start on the last day due to a wedding at Fawley that would have added a lot of noise to the filming. It was very sad to have to pack the layouts into the van and depart, but both are now set up again - as close to how we built them as possible and are running regularly at Rocket Railways in Grantham.

There's an open day on 26 October - next Saturday to which we would invite anyone who would like to see the layouts in the flesh and browse through the extensive range of 2nd hand stock that Rocket sell. More details here:  https://www.rocketrailways.co.uk/

We've updated our website with shots from the semi-final - https://www.mgnr.uk/ 

Looking forward to the final :)

Photo_29-06-2019,_12_59_32.jpg

Edited by noiseboy72
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I thought this semi was a very close call, all the layouts had lots of features and generally worked well. It was a shame the programme was shorter this week, as always we probably missed a lot of the details. It must be disheartening when something you've worked on doesn't make it to screen.

I enjoyed Jurassic Park's moving dino's and the 007 features (another clever adaptation of the mail coach!), our daughter was rooting for Harry Potter though!

Anyway, thanks for another entertaining episode and congratulations to the finalists.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Some excellent modelling in this week's show. I preferred this to the first semi-final - the movie theme allowed for more traditional modelling skills to come to the fore, and all three layouts looked like proper model railways!

It was close, and I was a bit disappointed that the James Bond themed layout was the one eliminated. I particularly enjoiyed the adaptation of the mail coach, although of course we've already seen that trick (or, at least, half of it) used in one of the heats.

I can't disagree with the choice of winner, though. And I was impressed at how well the team had recreated some of the key scenes from the movie.

It was very much a split decision in our household, though - I was hoping the James Bond layout would be at least in the top two, my elder daughter was rooting for Jurassic Park as she loves the movies, and younger daughter was backing Harry Potter. My wife, probably wisely, kept her opinion to herself, and I don't think the cats really cared so long as they could sit on someone's lap.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As I was in the audience at the filming of the final I knew before this evening's show started what the outcome would be.  But having said that it was certainly very close and at times I would have been hard put in some respects to say which one was not going to get through - a difficult call for the judges this week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was a close call but I have to say, I think the judgement was right.  I’m going to put my neck out and from what I’ve seen so far, I’d say one of tonight’s finalists will be the overall winner.  

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

As is now known, being in the final competing against the Railmen and WCR, it was certainly more than interesting this evening to see the second semi-final. In the final, there was so little time to take in the work of the other teams so it was good to appreciate these layouts and the work involved.

Well done to all three teams for a perfect 10 on functionality, indicating how closely matched you all were - liked the slaloming bus in James Bond. Otherwise, my eye was drawn to the Railmen's recreation of Glenfinnan viaduct, having visited the real location a good few times over the years. Very impressive given that it all had to be made from scratch on site and the simple-but-effective backscene really 'nailed' it.

• Like 2

Well done to the winners, it was well deserved, really nice layouts with fab features.

What didn't get a mention was how hot it was over the three days. Jon and I decided we needed a breath of fresh air after being cooped up in the hot shed, but quickly came back inside after we realised it was considerably warmer outside. On judgement day the missus's car was reading the attached temperature.

Chris

ps Please don't mention the chimney, Im still having counselling

FormatFactoryDSC08124.jpg

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Well done to all three teams for a perfect 10 on functionality, indicating how closely matched you all were - liked the slaloming bus in James Bond. Otherwise, my eye was drawn to the Railmen's recreation of Glenfinnan viaduct, having visited the real location a good few times over the years. Very impressive given that it all had to be made from scratch on site and the simple-but-effective backscene really 'nailed' it.

I must admit I couldn't call it this evening - very close and very well done to all three teams.

As LNER4479 notes here, the viaduct and backscene were impressive, and certainly seemed to make an impression on the judges, particularly Mr Flint - as with their heat layout, it seems the Railmen's inclusion of some well modelled prototype features has helped, which is interesting to note.

Personally, I liked the way M&GN used low relief kits for their film set feature - making the rear of the kits part of the story, not just hiding them.

Well done all.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Professor Yaffle said:

Well done to the winners, it was well deserved, really nice layouts with fab features.

What didn't get a mention was how hot it was over the three days. Jon and I decided we needed a breath of fresh air after being cooped up in the hot shed, but quickly came back inside after we realised it was considerably warmer outside. On judgement day the missus's car was reading the attached temperature.

Chris

ps Please don't mention the chimney, Im still having counselling

FormatFactoryDSC08124.jpg

It was so hot over those days. I think we spent a lot of time taking breaks inside the tunnel by the station it was lovely and cold inside. Plus I was daft enough to wear that T-Rex outfit during the demonstrations. 

Tbh I really loved your layout and it was very close to call. I thought we all put on one hell of a good show. I couldn't tell when we were there who was going to be going through to the final it was that close and I really thought your team would have gotten more points for build quality. There was a lot of amazing detail in that layout. Plus you had the RC helicopter and successfully flew it first time over the judges heads no less without crashing it. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1