This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 7 - Semi-final 2 - 'Blockbusters' - 6.15pm

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, CLARENCE said:

Yes a fascinating show, with some great modelling, but one thing spoilt it for me; the shameless and very childish "puns"

scattered about all the time! Please stop!

From my experience, during filming, most of the childish puns and humour  were being generated by the teams ourselves. :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, noiseboy72 said:

Actually, this is Matt, the team captain... Professor Yaffle is Chris!

And yes, looking forward to bringing the layout. If you are free this Saturday, they are on display at Rocket Railways in Grantham from 09.00 - 17.00.

oops, my bad, that's what you get for posting before you have fully woke up LOL, sorry Matt :)

• Like 2

We were quite careful about that, as quite honestly the dark and twisted sense of humour pervading from some of our team would probably have had us ejected from the show...

What did I say?!?!    '....Can ya tell what it is yet?' (Add Australian Accent)

Edited by Professor Yaffle
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

For the series 1 final, instead of a scratch build challenge, they gave each team an open wagon that we had to adapt and load to depict our theme and our team. All 5 wagons were to hauled through all 5 layouts as a goods train at the end. After all the wasted time trying to get the Hitachi 800 train to run at an acceptable speed (it only did either 5mph or 200mph) there was no time to run the goods train, or the Flying Scotsman and Pendennis Castle tribute to the late Sir William McAlpine, and the wagons were almost entirely removed from the final edit.

Stand by for a similar challenge in the final. This time, the idea was to link up your Heat and Semi-Final layouts to your Final layout (hence the lead in and lead out tracks) and run a latest Bachmann train from one end to the other. Initially it was going to be the same train for everyone but in the end each team was allowed to choose which train they preferred from the tempting box of Bachmann goodies...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Stand by for a similar challenge in the final. This time, the idea was to link up your Heat and Semi-Final layouts to your Final layout (hence the lead in and lead out tracks) and run a latest Bachmann train from one end to the other. Initially it was going to be the same train for everyone but in the end each team was allowed to choose which train they preferred from the tempting box of Bachmann goodies...

...and did you need to return the train afterwards??

I do think that Hornby and Bachmann are missing a trick here. Rather than us all ordering whatever they have in stock (And I think between the teams we probably cleaned Hornby out of Scarab Sentinels) why don't they supply some of their pre-production stock to showcase what will be available by the time the show goes out?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, noiseboy72 said:

Sadly, yes!

I do think that Hornby and Bachmann are missing a trick here. Rather than us all ordering whatever they have in stock (And I think between the teams we probably cleaned Hornby out of Scarab Sentinels) why don't they supply some of their pre-production stock to showcase what will be available by the time the show goes out?

My understanding was that was exactly what the Bachmann box of goodies was, Matt.

I do however agree with you re Bachmann / Hornby. I was somewhat surprised that none of the seven sponsoring manufacturers visited during any part of the filming at all - apart from Bachmann during the final. Hornby's website has featured each episode once transmitted, picking out some of their items that were used where they could.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noiseboy72 said:

Because the series is not a sales vehicle for model manufacturers. If it encourages more people to take up railway modelling that will have been a useful by product so it's in the manufacturers' interest to supply "props" for the competition. 

It may also have something to do with the rules around product placement which are still fairly strict in the UK. They're fairly coy about even mentioning which magazine Steve Flint is editor of though that has been mentioned.  We've come a long way from "sticky backed plastic" but if the teams were being "encouraged" to include manufacturers' latest offerings that would be a distortion of the programme's content which isn't allowed even for paid product placement. Since AFAIK nobody is paying for product placement in this series- a special logo would appear if they were- why would the producers let them use the programme as a free advert?   You may also have noticed that Hornby's adverts never appear at the beginning or end of advert breaks next to GMRC; that won't be an accident.  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, noiseboy72 said:

why don't they supply some of their pre-production stock to showcase what will be available by the time the show goes out?

Because there are only 1 or 2 pre-production models in existence, and these are often unpainted EPs or hand-painted samples they need to take to shows and shops. There isn't a pile of fully finished models hanging around. By the time the finished models are available, they are on a boat from China. You might get them 6 weeks early by air - Bachmann airfreight a small number of models over for magazine reviews - but the others don't bother. 6 weeks isn't early enough for the TV production though.

And no, they can't do a short run for the telly. That's not how mass-production works. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Because the series is not a sales vehicle for model manufacturers. If it encourages more people to take up railway modelling that will have been a useful by product so it's in the manufacturers' interest to supply "props" for the competition. 

It may also have something to do with the rules around product placement which are still fairly strict in the UK.

Fair comment. Look at the gaffa tape that is on the scratch build challenge cardboard box which they pick the objects out of (but don't look at heat 1 and 2 for this, someone forgot) and even the objects. It reminded me of how Blue Peter used to operate

• Like 1

On 20/10/2019 at 17:31, CharlieJohnson said:

It's fun to see what clips in the episode are shown out of order to how they were filmed. 

Cause one of my scratchbuild items is on the layout during day one in the show. Plus WCR were filmed first for the challenge then Railmen of Kent and lastly M&GNW. 

There are also many other clips shown out of order so it makes the layouts look like they are rapidly progressing then suddenly double back. 

I totally agree. That bit of me sawing the baby bio bottle up was about 6 mins before the wonky chimney hit the layout table - 'Could you do that again?', 'Err, no.'

The 4 min warning from Tim was a 'for TV' moment as I had already put all the other scratch build items on the set, but my TV minder hadn't noticed and I hadn't told them (someone is Head of Blame here), so I had to do it again. I'm not sure retakes were in my contract, where's my Agent?

Chris

jim.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

6 minutes ago, Professor Yaffle said:

I totally agree. That bit of me sawing the baby bio bottle up was about 6 mins before the wonky chimney hit the layout table - 'Could you do that again?', 'Err, no.'

The 4 min warning from Tim was a 'for TV' moment as I had already put all the other scratch build items on the set, but my TV minder hadn't noticed and I hadn't told them (someone is Head of Blame here), so I had to do it again. I'm not sure retakes were in my contract, where's my Agent?

Chris

jim.jpg

At least you didn't have to do any filmed running...

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, Professor Yaffle said:

Fair comment. Look at the gaffa tape that is on the scratch build challenge cardboard box which they pick the objects out of (but don't look at heat 1 and 2 for this, someone forgot) and even the objects. It reminded me of how Blue Peter used to operate

If you wanted to bring the Film and TV industry to its knees the gaffer* tape factories would be the place to start :diablo_mini:

I've not been keeping my recordings - who was the box adverrtising before they covered it?

*Gaffa is itself a brand name of Advance Tapes International and not all their tapes are gaffer tape- they do masking and PVC tapes as well. There are other brands of gaffer or gaffer's tape as well though. Gaffer tape is not by the way the same as duct tape (used widely in the US for sealing aircon. ducts I believe)   but like ours their film crews will swear by gaffer or gaffer's tape. The main differences are that it tears more easily, doesn't leave a residue and has a non reflective matte surface.  That makes it ideal  for location work where you can tape down cables without leaving a mess on the floor of someone's hall or gym. It's designed for the film, TV, theatre and events industry and at exhibtions that includes us. It's not cheap but it's worth it and there are plenty of brand comparisons online

• Like 1

On 20/10/2019 at 10:24, Billystanier said:

Did you use a WD 2-8-0 (LNER version) with some home made german-style smoke deflectors?

Out of interest, there was a James Bond themed exhibition layout that was knocking around the North West a few years ago. They had the circus train, the Goldeneye train, the Orient Express (from Russia with Love) and all sorts of industry such as Drax Shuttles and Goldfinger Smelting Works. For the Mercedes, they used a scale car fitted with rail wheels and towed it behind a train using a small piece of thread.

Hi, I'm the guy who created the layout you are referring to. It is still in existance and I do exhibit it from timt to time. It is currently being modified and extended. It incorporates minic motorways and modified triang battlespace. I have created the train at the begining of skyfall using a modified helecopter wagon to knock the VWs off the train. As mentioned, the circus train uses a very technical piece of fine thread to tow the Mercedes! The body for the modified class 20 is available from Shapeways.

Obviously I was very intrigued when I realised a JB layout was to feature on the show and a shame it didn't get through to the final. All three layouts were very impressive though.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

If you wanted to bring the Film and TV industry to its knees the gaffer* tape factories would be the place to start :diablo_mini:

I've not been keeping my recordings - who was the box adverrtising before they covered it?

*Gaffa is itself a brand name of Advance Tapes International and not all their tapes are gaffer tape- they do masking and PVC tapes as well. There are other brands of gaffer or gaffer's tape as well though. Gaffer tape is not by the way the same as duct tape (used widely in the US for sealing aircon. ducts I believe)   but like ours their film crews will swear by gaffer or gaffer's tape. The main differences are that it tears more easily, doesn't leave a residue and has a non reflective matte surface.  That makes it ideal  for location work where you can tape down cables without leaving a mess on the floor of someone's hall or gym. It's designed for the film, TV, theatre and events industry and at exhibtions that includes us. It's not cheap but it's worth it and there are plenty of brand comparisons online

Let's not start a Gaffa tape debate... Chris and I both worked in AV / TV and occasional film production and have laid many, many miles of the stuff over the years!

I brought a 6" wide roll of Gaffa tape with me to do the roadway, as the texture is perfect for Faller road vehicles and it takes paint with a bit of patience. Unfortunately I mislaid it and never saw it again, so had to use the emergency backup 2" wide roll instead.

Once we'd weathered the road it actually looked pretty good. Just a shame Kathy caught us struggling!!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, noiseboy72 said:

Let's not start a Gaffa tape debate... Chris and I both worked in AV / TV and occasional film production and have laid many, many miles of the stuff over the years!

I brought a 6" wide roll of Gaffa tape with me to do the roadway, as the texture is perfect for Faller road vehicles and it takes paint with a bit of patience. Unfortunately I mislaid it and never saw it again, so had to use the emergency backup 2" wide roll instead.

Once we'd weathered the road it actually looked pretty good. Just a shame Kathy caught us struggling!!

I didn't know there was a debate about it as it's always seemed pretty generic. I've also used a lot of it during my own TV career, particularly when self-shooting for securing cables and lighting stands,  but I'd never paid much attention to the brand.

I have found it useful to keep a roll handy for exhibitions but I'd not thought of using it for modelling roadways. That might be useful so what types of paint will it take-I generally use acrylics- and, as proper gaffer tape  is removable without leaving deposits, does it in your experience stay put over time ?  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

I didn't know there was a debate about it as it's always seemed pretty generic. I've also used a lot of it during my own TV career, particularly when self-shooting for securing cables and lighting stands,  but I'd never paid much attention to the brand.

I have found it useful to keep a roll handy for exhibitions but I'd not thought of using it for modelling roadways. That might be useful so what types of paint will it take-I generally use acrylics- and, as genuine gaffer tape  is removable without leaving deposits, does it in your experience stay put over time ?  

From what I gather, there's 2 sorts of adhesive. One that gets stronger over time and the other that weakens. A good quality tape from LeMark will remain well adhered and won't fall apart for quite a long time - I have some covering baseboard joints that's been down 20 years. Acrylics work pretty well onto the matte tapes and even the shiny stuff we had to use on the Challenge was OK, although we did have some drying issues.

For the roadway, I would have preferred a Fablon type "sticky back plastic", but I didn't have time to get any and had the tape in stock at home. This would not be my approach for a home or exhibition layout, where I would have filled the road surface back to level, painted it grey and weathered it. There simply wasn't time to do this on the show though.

Team Grantham had the better approach with their roadway - thicker wire and some thick card over the top. As this was our first time using the Faller kit, it was a learning curve for us, but the end result was good :) 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic:   please take your Gaffa tape topic and stick it somewhere else !   Only joking,  who knew there was a whole world of Gaffa tape out there ? Different sizes, different textures, different. . Stickiness ?   Are there collectors ?   Do they ONLY collect pristine, unopened rolls ? Are there those who are happy with an opened part used roll as long as it goes with the rest of there collection ?  Are there some who will take on a well used knackered roll and try to fix it up so it can be used with a bit of fiddling ?   Tune in next week for the next edition of GAFFER  TAAAPEEEE

PS is there any crowdfunded tape manufacturer ?  (Beggar, Andys spotted me,  im orf !!!)

Edited by Mattc6911
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

'Blockbuster' movies would have been the ideal excuse to get things wrong.

Like the HST in the background of Quadrophenia (set about 10 years before HSTs were introduced), or the black 5 & green Mk1s speeding through Yugoslavia (now Croatia) in From Russia With Love, or even the TGV in Mission: Impossible speeding through Kent with no 3rd rail or OLE in sight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

'Blockbuster' movies would have been the ideal excuse to get things wrong.

Like the HST in the background of Quadrophenia (set about 10 years before HSTs were introduced), or the black 5 & green Mk1s speeding through Yugoslavia (now Croatia) in From Russia With Love, or even the TGV in Mission: Impossible speeding through Kent with no 3rd rail or OLE in sight.

In Avalanche Express the locomotive occupied by the 'baddies' could not have had an engine as the engine compartment was an empty space. Such an awful movie anyway that I can't remember the plot, if it ever had one.

• Funny 1