'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

I am sure purists would like accurate representations of each company but I like this announcement very much.

Really good product, looking forward to this.

Does this hint perhaps at where Hattons might see itself making locomotives - pre-grouping

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I am sure purists would like accurate representations of each company but I like this announcement very much.

Purists will have to wait a very long time before the trade produce accurate representations of coaches from each pre-group company ......... but it would be interesting to know what, if anything, is the derivation of these coaches : they might actually be accurate representations of something !

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

What a Good idea I would think they will sell. And I would hope there will be plenty of coach bashing topic in the future.  Not to mention no posts about how hattons have got this that or the other wrong!!! I feel a order coming on. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant idea, i'll definitely be ordering some

I'm sure there will be plenty of modelers like myself who will be happy to accept the necessary compromises to be able to buy reasonably realistic ready to run 4 & 6 wheel coaches. I just don't have the talent to paint and line coaches, or the time to learn

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic news, compromise has to be expected and accepted if a manufacturer goes ahead and produces such models, think its the only way ahead for such models.

Pre-ordered the GNR, SECR and Southern sets......

Keith

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, woodenhead said:

Something interesting in the link of suggested rakes, two of these locos are not like the others, maybe a hint a something in the future!  For example if you already owned a Precedent you're likely to have stock too.

image.png.41aa3086956769ff80b4d3bc81fb347f.png

Indeed - they may have set a Precedent by suggesting a 'D' .................... we can but hope !

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Really good product, looking forward to this.

Does this hint perhaps at where Hattons might see itself making locomotives - pre-grouping

Hi Woody

I was thinking much the same when I saw the e-mail from Hattons. Most would be passable for many pre-group railways as most had similar panelling. Two of the chosen railways I suspect would not be suitable to those knowledgeable about their chosen line. The GNR coaches had a very distinctive square cornered paneling as carried on by the LNER and the LNWR had a style all of its own.

They are a very welcomed edition and I am sure those who can model will modify them to represent their chosen line.

The departmental ones look useful, I hope they also do a black one as most departmental coaches in the 50s and 60s were painted black.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Hattons Dave said:

GenesisHeader.jpg.ce8a1ef5fa940aada86ddb18e3b6dad4.jpg

Today we’re excited to announce our new rolling stock project in OO Gauge, Genesis 4 & 6 wheel coaches.

In the mid to late 1800s, the many operating companies in the UK were 

producing their own versions of the 4 and 6 wheel coach, which introduced many features onto the railways - lighting, continuous braking and even upholstered seats for all passengers. This led to them being a very common sight. 

Many designs consisted of only a handful of coaches, built to fill a specific need. These would also only wear the colours of the company they were built for. A good number were absorbed at the 1923 grouping and some found new leases of life on branches that were in need of simple stock to run on them. Some were taken into departmental stock or used by sheds and depots as simple stores vans and used until the 1950s.

Project Genesis faithfully represents the trains of the Era 2 & 3 period and brings modellers the opportunity to run a detailed train of coaches in liveries not normally seen in ready-to-run form.

Product Specification

• Lit and unlit options
  • Lit versions have an 18 pin digital decoder socket
  • Warm yellow LEDs used on lit versions
  • 6 different body toolings
  • 2 fully detailed underframes
  • Optional lower footboards
  • Full brake rigging
  • Fine detailing on panelling
  • Painted interiors
  • Optional semi-permanent coupling bar representing a coupling chain
  • 3 types of wheels (Mansell, 3 hole and disc)
  • 3 types of roof furniture (oil lamps, gas lamps, electric lights)
  • Removable centre wheelset on 6 wheel coaches
  • Sliding centre wheelset on 6 wheel coaches for tight curves
  • Fully lined liveries to the original company specifications
  • Unique running numbers between single coaches and packs
  • Carefully selected running numbers to fit with companies numbering systems
  • Packs of coaches to create an instant train
  • RP25 wheel profile
  • NEM pockets
  • Minimum radius - Radius 2 (438mm)

Tooling Variations

• 4-wheel chassis
  • 6-wheel chassis (features removable center axle and replacement framing)
  • 4-wheel bodies (4 compartment, 5 compartment and brake)

GenesisVariations.JPG.e10d42e5a4123326d9ceaf1d20e9afaa.JPG

• 6-wheel bodies (4 compartment lavatory, 5 compartment and brake)
  • Coach ends (plain, footsteps, 4 wheel brake, 6 wheel brake)
  • Roof furniture (Oil lights, gas lights, electric lights)

Coach Types

Using the above tooling variations we are able to produce a range of coaches. These include:

BT - Brake, Third Class

T - Third Class

S - Second Class

F - First Class

C12 - Composite (First and Second class)

C13 - Composite (First and Third class)

C123 - Tri-composite (First, Second & Third class)

CL - Composite Lavatory

Liveries

Batch 1

For our first batch we are initially releasing 7 main liveries with a mixture of coach types between each livery. These will be available from Q1 2021.
H4-46Pack-101_cat1.jpg.b2439c1b2090af1642f83b30fef7e8dd.jpg
GWR - Great Western Railway - ‘Chocolate and Cream’ livery with brown lining

H4-46Pack-201_cat1.jpg.82f108b50dcec71b061fe3e2a906b405.jpg

GNR - Great Northern Railway - ‘Teak’ livery with yellow and blue lining

H4-46Pack-301_cat1.jpg.d374b7b2cc1adf6bd9fee0995d853096.jpg

LNWR - London & North Western Railway - ‘Plum and spilt milk’ fully lined

H4-46Pack-401_cat1.jpg.1eadb73c34bcfc84230aeae41f482ff8.jpg

SECR - South Eastern & Chatham Railway - ‘Crimson Lake’ lined

H4-46Pack-501_cat1.jpg.4acea1b2723d2b9e6d74d5bb36c84683.jpg

LMS - London Midland & Scottish Railway - ‘Midland style’ crimson

H4-46Pack-601_cat1.jpg.412029ce7d9cb6de938c42ec01c26ce4.jpg

LNER - London North Eastern Railway - ‘Pre-war brown’

H4-46Pack-701_cat1.jpg.ee1ef7e8086e0f7c89b5b44049ed6d25.jpg

SR - Southern Railway - ‘Maunsell Olive Green’ with yellow lining

H4-6BT-901B_cat1.jpg.bb501dd1929aea570308d10eab732cf0.jpgH4-6BT-901C_cat1.jpg.1f00b8c4b31949b3ab2a2a5f58081b53.jpg

British Railways - Departmental

Batch 2

We are also announcing plans for a second batch of coaches with further liveries which are not covered as part of Batch 1. These are available to pre-order but at this time do not have a confirmed release date. We will provide more information following the release of Batch 1 in Q1 2021.

GCR - Great Central Railway brown and grey

GER - Great Eastern Railway chocolate

L&Y - Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway brown and tan

MR - Midland Railway crimson

LSWR - London & South Western Railway brown and tan

BR - British Railways crimson

NCB - National Coal Board blue

Batch 3

We will be producing a third batch of coaches which will be available following on from the release of the first two batches but are not currently available to pre-order. Currently proposed liveries are:

North Eastern Railway

Caledonian Railway

Metropolitan Railway

Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway

Longmoor Military Railway

Further BR Departmental examples

Pricing

Coaches will be available as single items as well as packs of four. Coach numbers will be different between single coaches and those from packs.

Single unlit coach - £30

3 pack of unlit coaches - £85

4 pack of unlit coaches - £110

Single lit coach - £36

3 pack of lit coaches - £99

4 pack of lit coaches - £135

Availability

Delivery for Batch 1 will begin in Q1 2021

Not all models will be available at the same time but all models within a specific livery will be released at the same time.

For full information on the project and to read more information visit www.hattons.co.uk/genesis

May I ask? Are these purely freelance or have they been scanned from preserved carriages? Or developed from drawings? I think these will be extremely popular,  I'm just curious as to their origins.

• RMweb Gold

A "left-field" announcement that goes against the modern trend for 100% super accuracy.

I think they look more GNR than anything else.

Surely, it would be good to offer some unlettered. Many will be using these on freelance light railway projects.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

May I ask? Are these purely freelance or have they been scanned from preserved carriages? Or developed from drawings? I think these will be extremely popular,  I'm just curious as to their origins.

Without looking at the drawings I have, I wonder that they have an element of Met Camm about them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Follow the link to the Hattons site and Dave explains these are generic coaches based on pre-grouping practices - so a good representation of the era without being specific to one coach

www.hattons.co.uk/genesis

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2

Wow! That is a really impressive line-up. Good to see that finally someone is going to have a go at producing RTR era 2 and 3 coaches. I wish Hattons well with this project. I look forward to seeing the Met ones in the 3rd batch and whether Hattons can match the best Hornby LNER teak finish on them. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well. Hattons are entering a minefield here. Are they accurate representations of anything in particular? Or are they in fact wrong for everything?

Of course they could provide a start in the right direction, with aftermarket correct details - sides/ends, axleboxes/springs, roof details...

What are the key dimensions, please?

• length over headstocks (or bodies, as they appear to be the same)
  • width over body panelling
  • wheelbase
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well. Hattons are entering a minefield here. Are they accurate representations of anything in particular? Or are they in fact wrong for everything?

Of course they could provide a start in the right direction, with aftermarket correct details - sides/ends, axleboxes/springs, roof details...

What are the key dimensions, please?

• length over headstocks (or bodies, as they appear to be the same)
  • width over body panelling
  • wheelbase

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, that's the dilemma in a nutshell - you can't be one without the other...

They are generic, if you want accuracy you'll still have to source a kit or scratch build.

But for me I can now have some 4 & 6 wheel coaches for my bucolic GWR branch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

- For freelancers like me, it's a break-through moment.  I can stop cutting Triang Clerestories up into 4 and 6 wheelers for my Edwardian layout!  These are a basher and bodger's dream. 

Don't give up on the Triang clerestories; these just add to the pool. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1