'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Hitchin Junction said:

Or this is good marketing feedback

No-one would do anything or some would do everything if they listened to the wrong voices.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A quick question for those in the know.

When or why was a 6 wheel chassis provided for a vehicle rather than a 4?

I've just been trawling through my Russell's GWR coach volumes and see that several 4 wheelers had longer wheelbases and bodies than some six wheelers.

6 minutes ago, melmerby said:

A quick question for those in the know.

When or why was a 6 wheel chassis provided for a vehicle rather than a 4?

I've just been trawling through my Russell's GWR coach volumes and see that several 4 wheelers had longer wheelbases and bodies than some six wheelers.

Less purgatorial at speed!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Follow the link to the Hattons site and Dave explains these are generic coaches based on pre-grouping practices - so a good representation of the era without being specific to one coach

6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

although perhaps a better title would be "Project Generic", and the disclaimer that suggests itself is "Any resemblance to a prototype coach is purely coincidental", 

I'm always interested in new SR coaches, but my interest has waned with this clarification. I have enough 'accurate' SR carriages to not need any 'generics'. 

But the CR versions may sit nicely behind the Caley 812.

5 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I agree. The lack of enthusiasm and even criticism from some quarters is  just odd. This is what the 00 gauge model railway market has been craving for at least 30 years. People still kitbash the Hornby 4-wheeler because there is nothing else. That says it all. These models will fly off the shelves and could be a mainstay of kitbashing for another 20 years. And as for promoting the pre-grouping era at a cost a major company can sustain (that's important) they are a godsend.

I think it also makes a Precedent or other pre-group locomotives more likely now as the big criticism that the NRM came under with the Stirling was there was nowt for it to haul.

I know there are pre-group engines out there already rtr but most have a foot in the big four and BR days to help them along, but this announcement will surely give confidence to launch other models now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Well, they are what they are, but that's OK.

I'm not sure if I'm excited enough to pre-order tonight ,but I'm definately interested.

Agreed, a full brake would be a useful addition - and something I would actually order staright away as a general utility vehicle.

At the moment I've no experience of caoch lighting; the idea is nice but would it have to be a decoder for every vehicle? That would knock the price out of sight for me. Would it be possible to fit one coch with a decoder and then wire through the rake? If so (and I accept it would add to cost), would it be possible for the semi permanent coupling to conduct the supply through the train? I can't see a situation where I would run a train with only one or some or the coaches lit, it would be all or nothing for me.

A good innovative annoucement though, I wish Hattons luck.

• Like 1

Just now, Martin S-C said:

I agree. The lack of enthusiasm and even criticism from some quarters is  just odd. This is what the 00 gauge model railway market has been craving for at least 30 years. People still kitbash the Hornby 4-wheeler because there is nothing else. That says it all. These models will fly off the shelves and could be a mainstay of kitbashing for another 20 years. And as for promoting the pre-grouping era at a cost a major company can sustain (that's important) they are a godsend.

Maybe because many of us can quite easily build a Ratio or Slaters kit of the correct types for our needs/wants. Some can also build a etched kit and paint it to a high standard. There is also now an improving selection of resin and 3D kits available.

These will sell. But they are in a totally different market to many of us. Maybe that's why many of us aren't commenting. They are virtually useless to us. Most of them were firewood or holiday homes by the mid 1920s after all.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

One thing no-one has considered so far is treating these as raw materials. Obviously, we won't know until we see the models, but will there be a market for replacement etched sides a la Comet models?

Personally, I fancy making a grounded carriage cottage out of one. Where's the option without chassis @Hattons Dave? ;-)

I was thinking exactly that... titfield thunderbolt.. the firemans house.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, truffy said:

I'm always interested in new SR coaches, but my interest has waned with this clarification. I have enough 'accurate' SR carriages to not need any 'generics'. 

But the CR versions may sit nicely behind the Caley 812.

The problem, I suspect, is that the potential demand for non-generic models of this kind is just too diffused for Hatton's or anyone else to bet on which, if any, set of company-specific prototypes would be sufficiently popular to make producing them r-t-r commercially viable. 

Many of us (me included) will bend a point and buy a set or two of "nearly right" coaches in liveries that fit in with our existing (or anticipated) interests. Going to the effort of refinishing (for instance) accurate Caley ones into (for instance) LSWR colours when we know we'll be making them "wrong"  is something rather fewer of us would consider.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 6

I'm interested... but the GCR ones on offer are going to be too early for me!  Maybe I'll get some LNER ones and T-cut them.  The GCR brown and grey ones to follow later in readiness for the 'inevitable' Parker 4-4-0 model when the Class 2 new build is sufficently advanced for the likes of Hornby to take notice. 

I’m surprised nobody seems to be trying to work out which real coaches they are actually most similar to.

I’ll provoke debate by saying that, to me at least, the six-wheelers look similar to the LCDR ones that survived on SE suburban services until electrification in the 1920s, then got converted to beach huts, bonfires, and push-pull units.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m surprised nobody seems to be trying to work out which real coaches they are actually most similar to.

I’ll provoke debate by saying that, to me at least, the six-wheelers look similar to the LCDR ones that survived on SE suburban services until electrification in the 1920s, then got converted to beach huts, bonfires, and push-pull units.

That's the answer! Splice the bodies together to make them and thereby release 6-wheel underframes....

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Hello Nearholmer

The 00 Wishlist Poll Team is!:)

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, trevor7598 said:

They'll look good behind Thomas.

Bachmann have their own range of 'generic' coaches for that, they should be available here next year. However I expect Hattons ones will look better.

• Like 1