'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

2 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Morning all,

I've been reading through the feedback we've received and have made several more improvements, including:

• Roof overlap
  • Full length footboards (on 6 wheelers)
  • Coach ends - vertical beading only
  • Brake pipe centered and handed on each end
  • 4w 5 compartment has had the compartments re-spaced
  • 6w brake has had the compartments re-spaced and duckets centralised
  • Full brake doors re-spaced
  • Rain strips added
  • Vac pans added (in lieu of air cylinder)
  • Emergency brake equipment added
  • Buffers changed to more realistic length and design
  • Drawbar hook plates added
  • J hangers added
  • Oil pots on roof moved to more prototypical positions

Gas and electric lighting will also be included on relevant liveries with associated gas tanks/battery boxes.

Cheers,

Dave

H4-4W-T1_v3-01.jpg.6e103bc417f61d35617c4551ad8e82e6.jpg

H4-6W-T3_v3-01.jpg.39bc56363d5f74894171be3b88808dd9.jpg

H4-6W-T4_v3-01.jpg.f3bb241ab93b3cdae59f426c29b415fe.jpg

Important improvements, especially the vac brake gear and the nice long coach buffers.

I really like the inclusion (seen on the non-step ends of the first two drawings) of the chain communication gear. 

Others' comments about vac pipe location noted.

A few further comments, if I may:

-  The 5-Compartment 4-wheel: If there are to be just two lamps, as shown (which is fine), the compartment partitions should really be half height in order to provide (some) illumination to all compartments.

- The 6-wheel brake (third) looks odd for not having a door for the guard.  Ideally there should be a door for each compartment (in this case 3), double luggage doors for the luggage, and a single door for the guard. Typically that might be either immediately fore or aft of the guard's lookout. Just, in fact, as shown on the drawing of the 6-wheel full brake below it. 

-  The 6-wheel brake (third) would most likely have the lamp located above the guard's compartment (again, as per the drawing of the 6-wheel full brake below it), rather than over the luggage. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, ClaughtonSteve said:

Well, if it's good enough for Jim at Connoisseur Models in 7mm, it's good enough for me...

But that's ALLOWED....

You have to build those yourselves, so it's modelling!

1 hour ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

Unhelpful thought: I am reminded of the 'tea' on DOuglas' Adams Heart Of Gold. But better.

Just don't bring in the British East India Company, otherwise everything will grind to a halt!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

The position of the vacuum pipe was laid down by the Railway Clearing House to ensure compatability across the network. It should be to the left of the drawbar as stated. As I said, rather than shoot the messenger , look at the millions of photos out there.

Not having access to RCH specifications for vehicles in interchange traffic I don't know what they said in respect of vacuum pipes and bags.  But it is interesting t study photos although admittedly most of these are of preserved vehicles and barely a minute or two doing that produced some interesting results because some coaches had the vacuum bags to the left of the drawhook, some had it to the right of the drawhook, and some had it in line with the drawhook.   Which suggests either such vehicles never worked in interchange service (if the ruling applied to interchange service - and that seems the only logical reason for it) or various companies simply went ahead and did either what they or their vehicle builders happened to like or come up with for any particular design.  However I looked in one of my books about a particular Pre-Group Railway and it contains pictures of 4 wheel and 6 wheel passenger stock c vehicles - both of which had the vacuum pipe above the drawhook and at least one of which wouldl have worked regularly coupled to vehicles owned by two major Pre Group Railways.

Hattons latest design currently has the vacuum pipes and bags central, above the drawhook and on a generic vehicle that seems to me as good as any other position and  accurate in at least two instances both of which happen to be in the proposed range of liveries.

PS Are the RCH interchange specifications online anywhere do you know?

• Like 2

It took a while, but this thought finally welled up into my consciousness. 

What would the comments on this  thread have been like if it was back at the time when the idea of using 16.5 mm instead of 18.8 mm gauge for the then brand new 4mm scale was first proposed?

And who looking back, thinks that was the correct decision?

Tim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry but many railways had the vacuum pipes above the coupling as per the drawings. See my earlier photo as evidence!

There is no "right" or "wrong" on this point. Just differences and a choice to be made.

I don't know what date the RCH ruling was made but in earlier times, railways worried little about compatability between systems! Which is why vehicles used on through services often had to be dual brake fitted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Hitchin Junction said:

What would the comments on this  thread have been like if it was back at the time when the idea of using 16.5 mm instead of 18.8 mm gauge for the then brand new 4mm scale was first proposed?

Tim

Perhaps a matter for a different thread?

• Agree 6

In regards to the vacuum pipes, I would look to make certain the material used is flexible enough to adjust.   Given commentary herein, I would default to vertical, straight, and left-of-drawgear.

Edited by AlfaZagato

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Hitchin Junction said:

Tim

The gauge came before the scale - the latter was increased from 3.5mm to make room for the motors of the day to fit into smaller UK locos.

So, strictly speaking, where OO is concerned, it's the scale that's wrong, not the gauge.....

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

The one to the left looks a lot more natural

BluebellBrake.jpg

https://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/SECR/LCDRcarriages.html

Richard

Don't forget this is a preserved vehicle* on an S.R. parcels van frame so don't take all features as 'gospel' ........ and while this picture is in front of you, take a look at the L.C.D.R. square-cornered panelling : Hattons coaches will NOT be right for this railway, however many times it's been postulated above.

* I nearly said 'chicken shed' - but it was a bungalow / petrol station !

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Can I look forward to Hatton's producing a generic steam engine to pull these?

Bearing in mind the outcry whenever one of the RTR suppliers makes a mistake on a loco I find the enthusiasm for these models a bit odd

Why would they do that, when they've produced a well-received pre-grouping loco already, which would go well with these carriages?  Anyhow, if they're not for you, then that's ok, just ignore them and go your own way, rather than berating people for not having your aesthetic sensibilities. 

(Must remember, don't feed the trolls...)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Can I look forward to Hatton's producing a generic steam engine to pull these?

Bearing in mind the outcry whenever one of the RTR suppliers makes a mistake on a loco I find the enthusiasm for these models a bit odd

Hattons are presumably making these coaches as they see sufficient demand to make money on them (and the enthusiasm for the coaches from most on this thread backs that up)

I don't see a market for a generic loco (so why would Hattons make one) but perhaps other iconic pre-grouping locos might now be produced?

Edited by Ryde-on-time
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

The position of the vacuum pipe was laid down by the Railway Clearing House to ensure compatability across the network. It should be to the left of the drawbar as stated. As I said, rather than shoot the messenger , look at the millions of photos out there.

But not always as quite a few photos show.

A GWR 4 wheel S9 has the pipe to the right of the hook and the vehicle is in BR hands with the number W24.

A six wheel Clerestory coach, just taken out of service also shows a RH pipe in the 1930s

I would have thought that network compatability with many of these vehicles is the last thing one would be worried about!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Has anybody quoted a date for this RCH instruction on brake pipe standards? And what about dual-fitted stock?

From what I can find from photos in books LH was normal but RH was not unheard of on old stock even at a late date.

Maybe it didn't apply retrospectively? Many of the vehicles are from as early as the 1880s.

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Why would they do that, when they've produced a well-received pre-grouping loco already, which would go well with these carriages?  Anyhow, if they're not for you, then that's ok, just ignore them and go your own way, rather than berating people for not having your aesthetic sensibilities. 

(Must remember, don't feed the trolls...)

A pity then that they didn't produce a range of accurate carriages to go with the 'well received loco' 

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PenrithBeacon said:

A pity then that they didn't produce a range of accurate carriages to go with the 'well received loco' 

I believe this view has been put forward by several members over the course of the last 28 pages. Hatton's MD will have noted their and your disappointment. 

• Agree 9

4 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Though I would suggest that, for example, Iain Rice's various light railways had a air or realism about them, to say the least.

Indeed so.  In fact, some of them (I think particularly of 'Tregarrick' and the 'East Suffolk Light') were more realistic and more believable than many examples modelled of the 'Real Thing' have ever been.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

"A pity they didn't throw a few hundred thousand pounds at producing a range of carriages that we'd then say weren't good enough to go with the 'well recieved loco'"

Fixed it for you.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8