'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

8 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Blimey 56 pages already! The models are a year away!

However the real issue for Hattons is keeping on top of the information flow, some of the suggestions above they would want to take on board. Hopefully they have a method of skimming through the posts....

its a bold move Hattons taking on this project and I for one am grateful that they are pledging a large sum of money into the hobby to get this project off the ground.

Check with your tax consultant. Putting a large sum of money into a someone else's hobby isn't deductible.

Tim

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hitchin Junction said:

Check with your tax consultant. Putting a large sum of money into a someone else's hobby isn't deductible.

Tim

He didn’t say it was 

Edited by truffy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, James Harrison said:

(Almost) prototypical. 

2017-09-1602-2.jpg

I've pre-ordered my rake of five this morning.

The only thing that would not be allowed on my layout would be the BR Blue. Steam, diesel or electric are fine in either year 2000 colours or Pre-67 colours but BR Blue is banned. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Blimey 56 pages already! The models are a year away!

However the real issue for Hattons is keeping on top of the information flow, some of the suggestions above they would want to take on board. Hopefully they have a method of skimming through the posts....

its a bold move Hattons taking on this project and I for one am grateful that they are pledging a large sum of money into the hobby to get this project off the ground.

Last time I looked, Hattons was a business. That's what they are putting their money into.

Tim

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

If it's the same method as the Hatton's Gauge O Gresley coaches it'll not be even as sophisticated as that - plant the teaser and ignore all responses :taunt:

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

If it's the same method as the Hatton's Gauge O Gresley coaches it'll not be even as sophisticated as that - plant the teaser and ignore all responses :taunt:

It has already been shown on this thread that Hatton are taking notice of a lot of the suggestions so I think you owe them an apology. 

• Agree 11

2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

It has already been shown on this thread that Hatton are taking notice of a lot of the suggestions so I think you owe them an apology. 

They never apologised to me when I submitted comments in that thread that remained ignored and they certainly never responded to my e-mails (apart from the auto-receipt) so as far as I am concerned do not deserve the courtesy.

Perhaps they did learn a lesson though?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 01/11/2019 at 08:08, Jol Wilkinson said:

Perhaps what would be needed for replacing sides on these generic models, while overcoming the painting and lining deterrent, are pre-printed overlays on acetate as supplied in the  old range of PC kits.

Even then, I think that most owners of RTR pre-group locos would be satisfied with an "inaccurate" coach but in the correct livery, as Hattons propose.

Calling Electra Rail Graphics..... Thought its not really a fully satisfactory result for me

However I do think there is a significant niche for these vehicles on interwar layouts - the numbers mentioned in correspondence suggests 6-wheelers might well be a "signature item" for a lot of minor lines on the LNER Southern Area and Scottish Area between the wars. (Hence the "LNER brown" debate) Similarly the LMS were running quite a few until the mid 1930s - "simplified"  LMS livery would be much easier to do than LNWR or Furness 

On 01/11/2019 at 14:54, Nick Holliday said:

i've deliberately kept quiet on this, just to see whether those who give the impression they can identify a rogue carriage at twenty paces with the lights off know the answer.

Just to give a clue, I've found some more drawings, from another railway company, that fit the bill.

793750073_otherthrid.JPG.d71859c8f1664c22be884d5e6104ae4d.JPG

1454509835_otherfullbrake.JPG.65d940207f8b362ebcdc75c9cb2d5dad.JPG

171893783_otherlavcompo.JPG.39a22ea453aa8cc1bd33ee9eb95b95b1.JPG

The clue is that the two companies could not be much further apart in size or location. Any suggestions?

As an aside, this thread shows what a generic third might look like. Identification was relatively easy because there are few etched kits of this type available, so the choice was limited.

BTW - Would anybody notice that the body is actually a 30' one?

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest LBSCR - though it has a MR/NER family style to it 

I'm going to stick my neck out wildly and suggest the 2 companies might be S&DJR and NER , with the second set as NER?

P.S. - If someone does Hardwicke then I will not be running these generics behind it. I will want authentic coaches to pull - two blue/grey Mk1s will be perfect (when used on the mainline in 1975-80 her standard set was 3 blue/grey Mk1s.... I can only really accommodate a 2 coach set though)

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

P.S. - If someone does Hardwicke then I will not be running these generics behind it. I will want authentic coaches to pull - two blue/grey Mk1s will be perfect (when used on the mainline in 1975-80 her standard set was 3 blue/grey Mk1s.... I can only really accommodate a 2 coach set though)

Damn, just found a few shots with a 4 coach Blue/Grey rake right in my area of interest for 00 and within operational period too. Hardwicke would be irresistible, it has to be said. This would have to look as out of place as me legitimately having crimson liveried MR Compound 1000 on Bournville shed in 1959...that one riles the purists a treat; producing a photo of it actually happening only seems to upset them even more though!

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Zunnan said:

This would have to look as out of place as me legitimately having crimson liveried MR Compound 1000 on Bournville shed in 1959...that one riles the purists a treat; producing a photo of it actually happening only seems to upset them even more though!

Was that when it was on railtours? I went on it from NS to Stoke around that time.

mrb1550.jpg

mrb1551.jpg

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Was that when it was on railtours? I went on it from NS to Stoke around that time.

Frightening to think that it was so long ago, and that Bournville shut up shop less than a year later. 1000 was a colourful last hurrah.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Zunnan said:

Frightening to think that it was so long ago, and that Bournville shut up shop less than a year later. 1000 was a colourful last hurrah.

I still had three years to go at school.

Me & another school friend got a bit of an ear bashing from the Bournville shed foreman for trying to get the smokebox number off a withdrawn Midland 2F!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

I still had three years to go at school.

Me & another school friend got a bit of an ear bashing from the Bournville shed foreman for trying to get the smokebox number off a withdrawn Midland 2F!

...and I had three more years to go before I emerged into the world in the Walsall Manor ex-Workhouse after a difficult, slippery attempt to get my mother through the snow and ice of January 1963.  Fair to say I don't remember much about it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ravenser said:

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest LBSCR - though it has a MR/NER family style to it 

I'm going to stick my neck out wildly and suggest the 2 companies might be S&DJR and NER , with the second set as NER?

The etched brass example is, as noted in the topic, most probably LBSCR (Microrail kit)

Your wild guess of NER is correct, although you are some way off with your first answer. No prizes, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Similarly the LMS were running quite a few until the mid 1930s - "simplified"  LMS livery would be much easier to do than LNWR or Furness 

LMS carriages were fully lined-out Midland-style until late 1933/early 1934*, so the chances of any surviving 6-wheelers getting a repaint into the simplified livery seem to me to be rather remote. 

A photo of July 1934** shows a close-coupled set of ex-Midland square-panelled clerestory 6-wheelers at Birmingham, with no visible sign of lining at all - but on the other hand, there are plenty of photos of carriages in service in Midland days, where the lining isn't visible, so that's no guide. But a carriage that had been in service for a long while, with the varnish going, could well loose its lining too. So plain unlined red might be an option.

*R.J. Essery and D. Jenkinson, The LMS Coach (Ian Allan, 1969) p. 33.

**R. Lacy & G. Dow, Midland Carriages Vol. 1 (Wild Swan, 1986) fig. 171.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

LMS carriages were fully lined-out Midland-style until late 1933/early 1934*, so the chances of any surviving 6-wheelers getting a repaint into the simplified livery seem to me to be rather remote. 

A photo of July 1934** shows a close-coupled set of ex-Midland square-panelled clerestory 6-wheelers at Birmingham, with no visible sign of lining at all - but on the other hand, there are plenty of photos of carriages in service in Midland days, where the lining isn't visible, so that's no guide. But a carriage that had been in service for a long while, with the varnish going, could well loose its lining too. So plain unlined red might be an option.

*R.J. Essery and D. Jenkinson, The LMS Coach (Ian Allan, 1969) p. 33.

**R. Lacy & G. Dow, Midland Carriages Vol. 1 (Wild Swan, 1986) fig. 171.

There is a pic of a rake of six wheel (Ex-LT&S?) stock being hauled by a Metropolitan District box cab locomotive. The stock was marked LMS so it would be post 1923 but the locomotive carried District Railway markings which date it as prior to 1933.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There is a pic of a rake of six wheel (Ex-LT&S?) stock being hauled by a Metropolitan District box cab locomotive. The stock was marked LMS so it would be post 1923 but the locomotive carried District Railway markings which date it as prior to 1933.

... and? What lining do the carriages carry, if any? According to Midland Style, p. 121, "There were many instances where the teak livery ... lasted until the late 1920s." Such carriages had received Midland markings, so these could have been updated to LMS without full repaint.

• RMweb Premium

The photo is in black and white so its not possible to identify the exact colour or for that matter its not clear if any were lined. It appears to be an excursion, the destination board says Tilbury, made up from an odd collection of old stock dragged out of various sidings. What is unusual about the pic is that the locomotive is running solo. Having such a short wheelbase there was a considerable chance of gapping, loosing contact with the power rail which is why these locomotives normaly ran in pairs.

• Informative/Useful 1