'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

Looking very impressive ................. but may I query the black windows on the B.R. riding van ? - if they were blanked out / sheeted over they'd be painted the same colour as the rest of the body. ( UNLESS these represent chalk boards - the absence of which nobody seems to have mentioned yet - very common on passenger brakes of all kinds / eras - though normally restricted to the waist panels.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hitchin Junction said:

I think a "Grantham, Crawley and Downton Abbey Railway" livery would be a terrific seller. Blue Blood with gold trim.

Tim

The Downton train was actually made up of Teaks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, gr.king said:

Why are the prices for the "all one colour, unlined" liveries the same as the "two-colours plus contrasting upper beading and fine lining all round" versions which must be more expensive to produce?

Hattons didn’t add extra for the P classes in ornate liveries over black so I guess their production process either adds minimal labour time for the subsequent colour prints or they have decided to spread the costs over the whole production to balance the prices. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Full marks to Hattons for listening and responding to their customers by adding new liveries.  Trouble is the list could get very long and very expensive for us pre-grouping fans. In that regard how about the Cambrian, Taff Vale, Rhymney, Barry, Brecon and Merthyr?

A logical extension - for me at least! - would then be to go 7mm scale, 'coz thanks to Minerva there are, with a little enjoyable modelling to modify them, RTR locos ready and waiting to pull them.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Footy said:

A logical extension - for me at least! - would then be to go 7mm scale, 'coz thanks to Minerva there are, with a little enjoyable modelling to modify them, RTR locos ready and waiting to pull them.

Success breeds success. Hatton's are not unsupportive to 7mm Scale, so if they find the rewards on the OO version are sufficient, they will cast an eye to that, I'm sure. Volume of sales will always be less, though, probably meaning a 7mm offering would be less broad. Bigger railways only, I imagine.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Footy said:

Full marks to Hattons for listening and responding to their customers by adding new liveries.  Trouble is the list could get very long and very expensive for us pre-grouping fans. In that regard how about the Cambrian, Taff Vale, Rhymney, Barry, Brecon and Merthyr?

I think the argument for the liveries they've chosen is that they all have or will soon have appropriate RTR locomotives. That being said, through workings were not unknown, so you could maybe justify some Welsh companies on a GWR or LNWR layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

That being said, through workings were not unknown, so you could maybe justify some Welsh companies on a GWR or LNWR layout.

As a general rule (to which I have no doubt there are a multitude of exceptions) through carriages were from the larger company to the smaller, e.g. LNWR Euston-Aberystwyth over the Cambrian, or Midland Nottingham/Derby-Southampton over the M&SWJ.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

As a general rule (to which I have no doubt there are a multitude of exceptions) through carriages were from the larger company to the smaller, e.g. LNWR Euston-Aberystwyth over the Cambrian, or Midland Nottingham/Derby-Southampton over the M&SWJ.

The Cambrian Railway built some bogie tri-composites of their own specifically to work through coaches to Euston, Liverpool and Manchester, some of the few coaches that the GWR kept on grouping.  They ran to both Aberystwyth and up the coast. They were non corridor but lavatory equipped.  Obviously being bogie they are not particularly relevant to this thread but there is a retouched early photo of one in CC Green's "Cambrian Railways Album" which shows one in Euston, and a photo of one in Barmouth.  Interestingly the bogie tri-composites were built in 1898, a year before the last six-wheel coaches were built by the Cambrian which might explain how the six wheelers managed to hang on into the early 1930s on the Cambrian lines.

Personally I'd love some Cambrian six wheelers but the chances of us getting an RTR Sharp Stewart Furness/Cambrian 4-4-0 to haul them with are slim to Buckley's I suspect.  There again, if someone decides to do a Metropolitan Railway condensing tank engine, the Cambrian did buy some of those after they were sold off!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

The Cambrian Railway built some bogie tri-composites of their own specifically to work through coaches to Euston, Liverpool and Manchester, some of the few coaches that the GWR kept on grouping.  They ran to both Aberystwyth and up the coast. They were non corridor but lavatory equipped.  Obviously being bogie they are not particularly relevant to this thread but there is a retouched early photo of one in CC Green's "Cambrian Railways Album" which shows one in Euston, and a photo of one in Barmouth.  Interestingly the bogie tri-composites were built in 1898, a year before the last six-wheel coaches were built by the Cambrian which might explain how the six wheelers managed to hang on into the early 1930s on the Cambrian lines.

Personally I'd love some Cambrian six wheelers but the chances of us getting an RTR Sharp Stewart Furness/Cambrian 4-4-0 to haul them with are slim to Buckley's I suspect.  There again, if someone decides to do a Metropolitan Railway condensing tank engine, the Cambrian did buy some of those after they were sold off!

I stand corrected; I was remembering a photo which on inspection turns out to have a roof-board reading "London (Euston) Llandrindod Wells & Central Wales" - a LNWR 50 ft cove-roof tricomposite corridor brake to D214 [D. Jenkinson, LNWR Carriages (2e, Pendragon, 1995) plate 88]. But I can vouch for the Midland through carriage to Southampton; it's in the 1910 North & West carriage marshalling book in the collection of the Midland Railway Study Centre.

I would have thought those Sharp, Stewart 4-4-0s are about as close to a "generic" 19th century locomotive as you're going to get!

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

RTR Sharp Stewart Furness/Cambrian 4-4-0 to haul them with are slim to Buckley's I suspect.

They aren't ready to run but there are some body shells for loco's like that on Shapeways.  But I'd try to get them directly from @Knuckles as Shapeways' pricing is pretty bad.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc?section=4mm+Furness+%26+Cambrian+Loco'+Bodies&s=0

Edited by Joseph the L&YR lover

14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I stand corrected; I was remembering a photo which on inspection turns out to have a roof-board reading "London (Euston) Llandrindod Wells & Central Wales" - a LNWR 50 ft cove-roof tricomposite corridor brake to D214 [D. Jenkinson, LNWR Carriages (2e, Pendragon, 1995) plate 88]. But I can vouch for the Midland through carriage to Southampton; it's in the 1910 North & West carriage marshalling book in the collection of the Midland Railway Study Centre.

I would have thought those Sharp, Stewart 4-4-0s are about as close to a "generic" 19th century locomotive as you're going to get!

I remember seeing that photo but of course the Central Wales line was LNWR/LMS.  There were through services to Swansea via Stafford, Shrewsbury, Llandrindod and every garden gate to Swansea.  They even had a "tea car" (buffet).  I'd imagine only a masochist or someone like me who has an aversion to copper clad mobile Edwardian tea urns would choose to go to Swansea from Euston by such a route but they did run right up until the 1950s.  You could also reach Porthmadog (or Portmadoc as it was) by the LMS in through coaches off the "Welshman", which were worked from Bangor via Caernarfon and Afon Wen.  This was due to the section from Afon Wen to Porthmadog having been built by the Caernarvonshire Railway which later became part of the LNWR on behalf of the Cambrian for which they were given running rights.  I don't think any LNWR/LMS locos made it to Porthmadog in regular service pre nationalisation but through coaches were advertised by the LMR into the 1950s, and I expect despite the round the houses routing via Crewe probably offered a competitive journey time to the GWR "Cambrian Coast Express" where the coast line portion had to trundle all round the coast from Dyfi Junction.

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Footy said:

A logical extension - for me at least! - would then be to go 7mm scale

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Volume of sales will always be less

A bit off topic but Dapol have already announced 7mm Stroudley  4 wheelers which would possibly deter anyone else from coming to the party.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

A bit off topic but Dapol have already announced 7mm Stroudley  4 wheelers which would possibly deter anyone else from coming to the party.

A bit more limited in geographic applicability though?