'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

21 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

Real question: What's the min. radius to avoid buffer lock on the 4 and 6  wheelers going to be?  I doing some experimenting with tension only couplers.

Andy

It depends what the longest item carriage or locomotive that you wish to couple them to. The minimum radius is about 6 times the length of your  equipment for no buffer lock.

Terry Flynn.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, nswgr1855 said:

It depends what the longest item carriage or locomotive that you wish to couple them to. The minimum radius is about 6 times the length of your  equipment for no buffer lock.

Terry Flynn.

Yes, You are right. Different car lengths complicate things. Looks like each case warrants it's own evaluation.

I'm working on the basis that buffers will push safely up to 50 % head dia. offset, with nice slippery faces. I may end up as a Hattons customer (again) just to play with a couple of the 4/6 wheel chassis. ;)

FWIW, I'm also trying to do this without Kadee's .  I'm not interested in the bamboo skewers methodology.  And I BTW I use realistic Sergents on my US models.

Andy

9 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

According to the email from Hattons, the LB&SCR livered carriages have moved to batch 1, which are due Q1 2021.

Trying to beat someone to the market perhaps, all speculation, but I have suspicions we're going to see accurate ones announced by someone soon. Perhaps I'm wrong. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Trying to beat someone to the market perhaps, all speculation, but I have suspicions we're going to see accurate ones announced by someone soon. Perhaps I'm wrong. 

You're probably right but Hattons will still offer something that most won't be able to - I doubt there will be a mass influx of accurate 4 & 6 wheelers across many different pre-grouping companies - one or two maybe and then very limited lot numbers.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You're probably right but Hattons will still offer something that most won't be able to - I doubt there will be a mass influx of accurate 4 & 6 wheelers across many different pre-grouping companies - one or two maybe and then very limited lot numbers.

Not at £30 a shot. 

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

And I doubt the accurate Brighton coaches (if they exist) will be costing anything near £30 each. You could probably treble that.  

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just a quick update as our 4 and 6 wheel Genesis coaches continue to develop. We’ll now be releasing our LBSCR umber liveried vehicles as part of Batch 1, so they will arrive in Q1 2021.

Check out the website for the full list of liveries covered and models available to order:

www.hattons.co.uk/genesis

Thanks for all your replies and insights so far regarding the project and we’ll bring you more as it continues to progress.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 13

• RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2019 at 12:52, Compound2632 said:

All the giraffe cars I've seen are bogie vehicles, not 4- or 6-wheelers. 

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

1370639446_GERGiraffeLoad.jpeg.5585726149350f1b4c2cf9c8a0b3520e.jpeg

I should have specified, live giraffe cars. I'm pretty sure there's a different tariff - livestock rate for live giraffe (horse rate plus 1d/mile per extra yard of neck), parcels rate for stuffed and mounted giraffe.

• Funny 5

19 hours ago, woodenhead said:

If there are 00 LBSC coaches coming from A Certain Manufacturer That Is Doing Them In O Gauge, LBSC coaches are probably considered relatively low risk for them. There are already several suitable engines available or in development, and they'd be spreading the development costs over two sets of models rather than one. Less risky than, say, a full rake of Metropolitan coaches (although a chap can dream).

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

stuffed and mounted giraffe.

You've been watching Attenborough again....

19 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I have suspicions we're going to see accurate ones announced by someone soon. Perhaps I'm wrong. 

Someone who has made a successful release of 3D printed vans perhaps?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I should have specified, live giraffe cars. I'm pretty sure there's a different tariff - livestock rate for live giraffe (horse rate plus 1d/mile per extra yard of neck), parcels rate for stuffed and mounted giraffe.

Just to continue the zoological thread drift, were Giraffes, stuffed, mounted and wrapped in canvas really regular enough traffic on the Great Eastern to justify a standard diagram and instruction for loading them- and, if that's diagram no.5, what delights did nos. 1-4 cover?

...and am I the only person who's looked at that drawing and found themselves pondering the type of wagon, whether there's a kit available and the idea of including that in a mixed freight on their layout?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Invicta said:

...and am I the only person who's looked at that drawing and found themselves pondering the type of wagon, whether there's a kit available and the idea of including that in a mixed freight on their layout?

I have a couple of D&S Mac.Ks that don't have a load so definitely not the only one!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Invicta said:

You could probably do something with a Dapol Lowmac and some "timber" baulks...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Invicta said:

Just to continue the zoological thread drift, were Giraffes, stuffed, mounted and wrapped in canvas really regular enough traffic on the Great Eastern to justify a standard diagram and instruction for loading them- and, if that's diagram no.5, what delights did nos. 1-4 cover?

Ipswich Museum certainly obtained both a stuffed Giraffe and a stuffed Rhino in the late 1800's, and they would presumably have moved by rail at that time.  Both exhibits are still in Ipswich Museum today as well!

• Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Someone who has made a successful release of 3D printed vans perhaps?

I'd be very surprised not to see some kind of follow-up to the successful release of the Rails 3D printed SECR van, particularly as they have some loco releases which are just crying out for some suitable stock to pull- LBSC coaches for the Terrier, and further on in time some nice Caledonian wagons and/or a brake van to go with the '812' etc...

18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You could probably do something with a Dapol Lowmac and some "timber" baulks...

From vague memory, somewhere back in the mists of RMWeb have I read that the Dapol/Airfix Lowmac kit is something like a BR build of an LNER wagon which was an update of a GER design? 

• Agree 2

Found this in a review of a book on Manningtree Station from a few years back, which can be found on the EADT website....

“The other extraordinary thing is about how a stuffed giraffe once went through Manningtree. It was on its way to Ipswich Museum, and it's still there. The plaque says 'lent by John Hall of Broughton.' I hope he doesn't want it back!”

It was some year, 1909. That's when the giraffe travelled from London to Ipswich - concealed under canvas, sadly. It wasn't an easy task.

There were fears that, even when loaded onto the lowest rail truck and tilted semi-horizontal, the ears of the 16ft 10ins cloven-hoofed, cud-chewing quadruped would poke up too high. The lowest bridge on its route stood only 13 feet from the ground.

Experts were consulted and trials conducted before they decided it would be all right - “ . . . but to guard against possibilities,” reported Great Eastern Magazine with levity, “the inspector was instructed to see the load through and the suggestion made that he should travel jockey fashion on the animal's neck.

“The inspector, however, successfully pleaded age, weight and non-training against that method, and was therefore allowed to enjoy the usual need of comfort obtainable in the brake of a goods train”.

So now you know..............

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 6

On 04/12/2019 at 07:49, Hroth said:

That should do for when the Generic Elephant Transporters come out too, the doors are probably wide enough!  Just think, all those bright, jolly Circus liveries!!!

Most essential for when a "wash and brush up" is urgently required...

Somebody could always do Billy Smart's Circus wagons. My Father can remember them loading at Ascot station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Anglian said:

Somebody could always do Billy Smart's Circus wagons. My Father can remember them loading at Ascot station.

Given that they've previously offered a wide range of road vehicles in the liveries of that and other circuses, those should maybe a subject for Oxford Rail.

John

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

@Hattons Dave I have heard tell that the SECR livery shown seems to be a hybrid of early lettering and later colours. If true, will this be corrected? 

(My preference would be for pre 1912 colours so they can run with full Wainwright livery locos).

Hi JSpencer,

SECR livery on our Genesis coaches will be the pre-1912 "rich purple lake lined finely in gold" (as described in Bogie Coaches of the SECR, David Gould, Page 11).

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi JSpencer,

SECR livery on our Genesis coaches will be the pre-1912 "rich purple lake lined finely in gold" (as described in Bogie Coaches of the SECR, David Gould, Page 11).

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Excellent news. Thanks for the rapid feedback.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hattons have shown off the artwork for their LBSC liveried carriages, they are calling the livery Umber and Cream, as an LBSC modeller I'm going to call it Painted Mahogany, since it includes neither Umber or Cream, and is in fact Painted Mahogany.

They are very nice looking, and seeing them in this livery may convince me to get some! It makes much more sense to have 4 / 6 wheelers in this livery than Umber and Cream White. (The LBSC didn't use cream, it used White, as can be seen in the appropriate board minutes, or on http://www.lbscr.org/Rolling-Stock/Liveries/index.html )

Gary

PS. I notice Hattons have removed "and cream" from their website, it's a start, now they just need to change "Umber" to "Mahogany"

They did it, they changed it to Mahogany, well done Hattons!! Top job!

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2