'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

On 08/02/2020 at 09:51, adb968008 said:

Such as an accurate prototype ?

i’m not sure why everyones so ate up about precision accuracy on a pretend product ?

enjoy them for what they are.. cheap coaches in nice colours... gap fillers.

i’m sure they will be modellers fodder for many years teased i to accurate types, just as Hornbys 4 wheeler was.

Because it costs the same to tool an accurate model compared what you are getting and some of us only  want accurate models.

Edited by nswgr1855
missing word
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, nswgr1855 said:

Because it costs the same to tool an accurate model compared what you are getting and some of us only  want accurate models.

One has to suppose that Hattons have made a commercial judgement that for the same investment they can get a greater return on what they are proposing to produce than on models based on a specific company's carriages. 

• Agree 13

On 07/02/2020 at 23:51, adb968008 said:

Such as an accurate prototype ?

i’m not sure why everyones so ate up about precision accuracy on a pretend product ?

1 hour ago, nswgr1855 said:

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

One has to suppose that Hattons have made a commercial judgement that for the same investment they can get a greater return on what they are proposing to produce than on models based on a specific company's carriages. 

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I really think the argument has already been done to death.

with hundreds of non-existant prototypes, with limited drawings and each coach being hand built and hand repaired through its life, picking the “right one” to model and getting it accurate would be extremely difficult.

If you picked one prototype, it  would only represent one of dozens of railways and a very specific time window, in what is a 70 year era...

making it inaccurate for everyone else...

I think you're missing the point, chaps. The "basic facts" that @BlueLightning was referring to was the colour of the LBSCR coaches, both in terms of application and description, not the tooling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, truffy said:

I think you're missing the point, chaps. The "basic facts" that @BlueLightning was referring to was the colour of the LBSCR coaches, both in terms of application and description, not the tooling.

If he quoted my post of January, then he wasnt.

Ive not been in this thread for months (i had to check, and thought it was last year, I didnt realise this thread had gone quiet for 3 months, such a lot has happened in the world in such a short time.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

If he quoted my post of January, then he wasnt.

He didn’t, and was. He was replying to Ronny about the colours. It’s only on the previous page. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, truffy said:

He didn’t, and was. He was replying to Ronny about the colours. It’s only on the previous page. 

So why did he quote me then ?

And why did you ?

i was sleeping nicely and this thread woke me up.

:-)

All confused, I need a cup of tea now, for a moment I thought the models had arrived.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

And why did you ?

He didn’t quote you. You quoted him out of context. 

I only quoted you because @nswgr1855 used that as the basis for resurrecting the old prototype/tooling debate that, as you rightly state, has been done to death. 

Sorry to have disturbed you! :unsure:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I really didn't, you quoted me trying to drag me into an argument that was nothing to do with the point I made, so I ignored you. Does that help explain it?

9 minutes ago, truffy said:

He didn’t quote you. You quoted him out of context. 

and that's why I had never bothered responding to me being quoted. I saw no point being dragged into an argument that was not about the point I was making.

For the record I would love to see Hattons make accurate prototypes for all the companies they are painting these into the liveries of, however I also understand basic economics, so I know that's not feasible.

Gary

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

8 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Why don't we just leave this thread to go to sleep, whilst we worry about more important things ?

Because it's actually a nice distraction, and something to look forward to.

Edited by jcm@gwr
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, truffy said:

Sorry to have disturbed you! :unsure:

No need to be sorry, I was watching that 1907 video of LNWR locos over breakfast !

wow.

Lunch is back to reality and testing my Bachmann 66’s. :-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Why don't we just leave this thread to go to sleep, whilst we worry about more important things ?

What can be more important than toy trains?

If you feel the need to worry about anything, no one's holding a gun to your head.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Theres no point worrying, it wont change anything..

unless it's something you can do something about, in which case don't worry then either.. do something and it wont be a worry any longer.

my problem isnt worry, its thinking... ive been thinking of modelling something all morning.. i need the kick up the butt to go do it.

confucius say...

Life is really simple, but men insist on making it complicated.

end sermon.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Peter Lord said:

These really cannot come soon enough! Has anyone heard any updates on how the project is progressing or how it may have been affected by the pandemic? 

I'd completely forgotten about these. No there's been no communication from Hattons recently. 

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I'd completely forgotten about these. No there's been no communication from Hattons recently. 

Perhaps that's because there is nothing to say?  They're not due until Q1 next year.  I've checked Hattons site, it still says same delivery date & the same price as when they were originally announced in October 2019.  On that basis, no news is good news, it means they are probably on schedule.  I am sure Hattons will make an announcement when the coaches are ready and they have a confirmed release date, until then I'm happy to wait.  It gives me time to save up for them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Peter Lord said:

Has anyone heard any updates on how the project is progressing or how it may have been affected by the pandemic? 

Is this a generic pandemic which is like Covid 19 but also suits flu and a host of other nasties if you squint a bit from a distance .....:D

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Peter Lord said:

These really cannot come soon enough! 

On the contrary, the more time Hattons invest in development of the design, the faster they will eventually rush off their shelves. Laser-scans etc are not an option for speedy development in this case.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies if I missed this in the previous 74 pages, but I am looking to pre-order a number of the Southern Railway 4/6 wheelers.  Am I right in thinking the 6-wheelers are designed so that the centre wheels can be removed, thereby creating a 4-wheeler?

A number of coaches sent to the Isle of Wight started life as 6-wheelers but had their centre wheel set removed before heading to the island and it would be useful to know if this could be replicated. 

Thanks in advance!

Will

Edited by lbsc123
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know when these are due?- Is it 2021 or 2022?  I'm sure it's noted somewhere in the thread but in all honesty I've neither time nor inclination to wade through 73 pages of discussion largely along the lines of 'the beading doesn't exactly match that on precisely four carriages built in the far north of Scotland in 1877 and scrapped in 1909'. 

• Friendly/supportive 1