'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2020 at 16:54, Cofga said:

Well these 3D renderings have sold me on a GWR set as well as an all brake single. One question I have concerns the axles—are they of a non-ferrous material? This is a concern for those who use under the rails magnets for uncoupling as ferrous axles are attracted by the magnets and tend to afrect rolling stock performance. I have had to replace all the Peco kit wheelsets with Horby ones due to this problem. Also non-metallic axles would make power pickups much easier since they would electrically isolate the wheels. Looking forward to running these with my GWR Mogul if they ever really arrive!

EDIT—Sorry, but after testing the Hornby wheelsets I found that it is the wheels not the axles that are non ferrous and do not respond to a manget. Either way I’d hate to have to replace these nice wheels and it might interfere with the power pickups of lighted cars. I may have to order the unlit ones and do it myself with function only DCC decoders.

Hi Cofga,

The axles on the models won't be magnetic so the coaches should have absolutely no issues with under-rail magnets.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/09/2020 at 09:20, Nick Holliday said:

I know that numbering is probably at the back of most purchasers’ minds, but it seems a pity that the correct information doesn’t seem to have been received, and a few minor changes to the lettering and numbering would make these lovely items even more accurate.

Hi Nick,

We've worked closely with individual historians and groups who have restored 4 and 6 wheel coaches, as well as a wealth of historical info, photos and specifications. However, we're always keen to add to our knowledge base where we can.

If you have any info you think may benefit the Genesis project, if you could get in touch via info@hattons.co.uk it'd be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

How does one choose a number for a fictional vehicle?

Some companies had specific number series for different types of vehicles - so picking a suitable number (ideally an unused one) in the right series looks better than just picking one at random. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Some companies had specific number series for different types of vehicles - so picking a suitable number (ideally an unused one) in the right series looks better than just picking one at random. 

Much the best solution, of course. Adds plausibility. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

you call the first one 1, the next 2, the one after that 3, and so on

Ah, but as @Nick C says, it goes like this:

• the first first class carriage is No. 1 in the first class list
  • the first composite carriage is No. 1 in the composite list
  • the first third class carriage is No. 1 in the third class list
  • the first passenger brake van is No. 1 in the passenger brake van list
  • the first horsebox is No. 1 in the horsebox list
  • the first carriage truck is No. 1 in the carriage truck list

and so on down to the express turnip van list. Second class ignored for brevity.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, but as @Nick C says, it goes like this:

• the first first class carriage is No. 1 in the first class list
  • the first composite carriage is No. 1 in the composite list
  • the first third class carriage is No. 1 in the third class list
  • the first passenger brake van is No. 1 in the passenger brake van list
  • the first horsebox is No. 1 in the horsebox list
  • the first carriage truck is No. 1 in the carriage truck list

and so on down to the express turnip van list. Second class ignored for brevity.

I was thinking more of those companies that had (for example):

• third class coaches from 1 to 999
  • first class coaches from 1000 to 1999
  • brake thirds from 2000 to 2999
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I was thinking more of those companies that had (for example):

• third class coaches from 1 to 999
  • first class coaches from 1000 to 1999
  • brake thirds from 2000 to 2999

That's very organised and smacks of post-Grouping. I detect the Hand of Stamp or Stamp of Hand!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Here are the variations between smoking and non smoking window labels which will feature on the appropriate liveries.

These will be pre-fitted and printed directly onto the glazing.

We'll be updating the full colour layouts on our website shortly but you can check out much more including the full 3D renders now:

Hattons Originals Genesis Coaches - view more info

As ever, let us know what you think either here or via the Disqus page on our website.

Cheers,

Dave

Great Northern Railway
GNR-Smoking.png.9c01460707ecd6fa1740c94e8b1c31a2.png

Great Western Railway
GWR-Smoking.png.4694e9065b405c4bb252792a11211a10.png

London, Brighton & South Coast Railway
LBSCR-Smoking.png.c8f6e86f320d27726d758b15d4312289.png

South Eastern & Chatham Railway
SECR-Smoking.PNG.ae26ee7810d96cca8126abedb9669f68.PNG

LMS (No Smoking)
LMS-No-Smoking.png.522d6e77cbeb7967fb78e813489f0e41.png

LMS (Smoking)
LMS-Smoking.png.10ecfd08acd84cd7de34d2a9d769aa15.png

LNER (No Smoking)
LNER-No-Smoking.png.50dc22fb596650622e35ed865a9edef8.png

LNER (Smoking)
LNER-Smoking.png.5954373a93f28b9c4dcd08ee55e036b0.png

SR (No Smoking)
SR-No-Smoking.png.25cba4625899ec409d09e06efa81b8e4.png

SR (Smoking)
SR-Smoking.png.5ec0d5ceb69de6e8e0dbe6e6f7494370.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

How does one choose a number for a fictional vehicle?

You get your wallet out, take out a banknote, and look at the serial number, then knock a few figures off the front or the back to taste, until you have the right number of digits. I’m afraid a lot of my rolling stock is done like this.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

38 minutes ago, Northroader said:

You modern young trendsetters. Next thing you’ll be telling me to take my halfcrowns to the bank.

I was going to ask how many denarii for a coach, I've been saving mine for a trip to Rome but it seems going abroad is rather fraught will peril at present.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi all,

Here are the variations between smoking and non smoking window labels which will feature on the appropriate liveries.

These will be pre-fitted and printed directly onto the glazing.

We'll be updating the full colour layouts on our website shortly but you can check out much more including the full 3D renders now:

Hattons Originals Genesis Coaches - view more info

As ever, let us know what you think either here or via the Disqus page on our website.

Cheers,

Dave

Great Northern Railway
GNR-Smoking.png.9c01460707ecd6fa1740c94e8b1c31a2.png

Great Western Railway
GWR-Smoking.png.4694e9065b405c4bb252792a11211a10.png

London, Brighton & South Coast Railway
LBSCR-Smoking.png.c8f6e86f320d27726d758b15d4312289.png

South Eastern & Chatham Railway
SECR-Smoking.PNG.ae26ee7810d96cca8126abedb9669f68.PNG

LMS (No Smoking)
LMS-No-Smoking.png.522d6e77cbeb7967fb78e813489f0e41.png

LMS (Smoking)
LMS-Smoking.png.10ecfd08acd84cd7de34d2a9d769aa15.png

LNER (No Smoking)
LNER-No-Smoking.png.50dc22fb596650622e35ed865a9edef8.png

LNER (Smoking)
LNER-Smoking.png.5954373a93f28b9c4dcd08ee55e036b0.png

SR (No Smoking)
SR-No-Smoking.png.25cba4625899ec409d09e06efa81b8e4.png

SR (Smoking)
SR-Smoking.png.5ec0d5ceb69de6e8e0dbe6e6f7494370.png

I claim no expertise in Southern Railway carriage livery but on the basis of this Bluebell restoration, it would appear that my observations on the absence of lining around the bolection mouldings of fixed windows of carriages in full-lined LMS livery also apply to fully-lined-out Southern carriages. What about the Brighton and Chatham liveries? - the pictures above also show lining round the bolections. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Any thoughts about different grab handles for the carriage doors ?

different railways had different types.

if these are push fit, adding a few extra styles to the sprue and putting them in a parts bag for the creatives, whilst putting a different styles to different railways ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Cofga,

The axles on the models won't be magnetic so the coaches should have absolutely no issues with under-rail magnets.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave my preorder is in; one 4 coach GWR set plus a full brake. Hopefully my Dapol GWR Mogul will arrive before the coaches!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I claim no expertise in Southern Railway carriage livery but on the basis of this Bluebell restoration, it would appear that my observations on the absence of lining around the bolection mouldings of fixed windows of carriages in full-lined LMS livery also apply to fully-lined-out Southern carriages. What about the Brighton and Chatham liveries? - the pictures above also show lining round the bolections. 

I'm not an expert on SECR carriage livery, but it appears that square-panelled ex-LCDR SECR-liveried carriages had lining around the windows (according to the Bluebell's interpretation of the livery), while ex SER stock generally had "Wolverton style" panelling (i.e. a single panel from waist upwards) so lining around the bolection mouldings wouldn't have been seen - this seems to be a case where unfortunately a best-guess attempt at lining has to be applied.

As for LBSC stock - Stroudley carriages which were outshopped in mahogany didn't have any bolection mouldings, (the glazing being slid into slots in the carriage framing, and apparently rattled terribly!), but were lined around the quarter lights. By the time bolection mouldings came in under Billinton from 1890, and these seem not to have had lined bolection mouldings (although the perils of trying to discern lining around panelling in black-and-white photographs are well known). However, in 1903 the carriage livery changed to umber, and thus ends the livery period depicted by the Hattons carriage. If these carriages are lined around bolection mouldings, they are presumably representing Stroudley-designed, Billinton-built mahogany liveried carriages.

[edited to rephrase for clarity - this was written in a rush while getting ready to leave for work]

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 3

Can someone clarify, on the LB&SCR livery I've seen it referred to as both Mahogany and Umber.  Does the mahogany mean unpainted with wood grain effect as these types of carriage were originally built, or is it a flat colour called mahogany ?

Sorry if this has already been discussed on one of the other 88 pages.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GNR Dave said:

Can someone clarify, on the LB&SCR livery I've seen it referred to as both Mahogany and Umber.  Does the mahogany mean unpainted with wood grain effect as these types of carriage were originally built, or is it a flat colour called mahogany ?

Sorry if this has already been discussed on one of the other 88 pages.

As far as I can tell the coaches represent the painted livery (as carried by the 4 wheel 1st on the bluebell). 

Looking back it was discussed on page 72 and concludes it's the painted mahogany livery. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

If these carriages are lined around bolection mouldings, they are presumably representing Stroudley-era mahogany liveried carriages.

But the models have bolection mouldings and are therefore a better match for Billinton stock and hence should sport the appropriate lining style. This is one of several cases where these generic carriages come close to a specific prototype so it would be perverse to line them out in the style of carriages to which they bear less resemblance!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2