'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

However, in 1903 the carriage livery changed to umber, and thus ends the livery period depicted by the Hattons carriage. If these carriages are lined around bolection mouldings, they are presumably representing Stroudley-era mahogany liveried carriages.

Just to complicate matters, a lot of pre-1903 continued to get mahogany painted on them after 1903, because it was easier than stripping them back and priming to get the white to look white on the upper panels (LBSC Carriages vol. 3, Can't remember what page, I'll add that here if I remember to loo it up later, feel free to poke me if I don't)

1 hour ago, GNR Dave said:

Can someone clarify, on the LB&SCR livery I've seen it referred to as both Mahogany and Umber.  Does the mahogany mean unpainted with wood grain effect as these types of carriage were originally built, or is it a flat colour called mahogany ?

Sorry if this has already been discussed on one of the other 88 pages.

These are in the painted mahogany livery, which was a flat colour applied to carriages pre-1903 to match varnished stock once varnish alone was not enough to keep them looking neat. Hattons originally incorrectly called this umber, but have since corrected it. Their knowledge of LBSC liveries is a mess as seen by the video they did on the matter, but they have shown a willingness to change things based on info they receive.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2020 at 16:31, Northroader said:

You get your wallet out, take out a banknote, and look at the serial number, then knock a few figures off the front or the back to taste, until you have the right number of digits. I’m afraid a lot of my rolling stock is done like this.

or if you have a Windows PC (as I suspect most here do) - Open a command prompt (press start, type CMD and press enter), then type "echo %RANDOM%" , and it'll spit out a pseudo-random number between 1 and 99999.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The problem with random numbering is that there is the risk of picking a number known to have been used for a different type of carriage. Better, it seems to me, if numbers for, say, 6-wheel thirds, are known, to use one of those for the 6-wheel third, even if it's not an exact model. At least it can be thought of as representative.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Why not have the models unnumbered and provide a decal sheet of numbers in the appropriate style for the livery?

Folk would complain about having to do it themselves. Vide the lack of lining on the top of the splashers of the Rails D.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Why not have the models unnumbered and provide a decal sheet of numbers in the appropriate style for the livery?

You'd be surprised just how many of us can't apply number decals in a straight line, despite a lifetime of trying! 

I'd rather have them printed on by the manufacturer so that any noticeable flaws aren't "my" doing...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Folk would complain about having to do it themselves. Vide the lack of lining on the top of the splashers of the Rails D.

It's not a case of complaining about having to do it - it's the certain knowledge that we can't do it as well as the manufacturer could.  It's not for the want of trying...  I've made/painted/applied lining transfers to a few kits in my time, and none of them pass muster when coupled next to current commercial rtr. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2020 at 18:34, Pre Grouping fan said:

@Hattons Dave

In this extensive thread I don't think its been discussed how the interiors will be painted.

Will they be painted to match the type of coach (1st, Composite or 3rd ETC) or will they or will they just be a plain colour across all the vehicles?

Cheers, Matt

Hi Matt,

The coach interiors will be painted to match the classes of the particular compartments across the vehicles.

We'll also be specifying the colours used by each company for their first, second and/or third class seating.

The colour layouts for the interiors are being worked on currently but we'll have something to show in due course :-)

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have only dipped into this thread a bit. So, apologies if this has already been mentioned.

What locomotives are Hatton's expecting people to haul these coaches with? There is not a lot out there.

Pour encourager les autres.

Really, there's enough out there. For the first tranche of liveries, there are RTR passenger locomotives for the SECR, LBSCR, GNR, and LNWR (Coal Tanks being, despite their name, much used on passenger work). 

For the second tranche, I think only a Great Eastern locomotive is missing. Whether it's appropriate to string these carriages behind a Director is another question!

The third tranche is a bit more speculative - there's the TMC Class O promised, and the old Triang 123 - along with Rails' Caley 0-6-0, a mixed traffic engine. There are various SDJR or pseudo-SDJR locomotives but perhaps not quite appropriate to the 6-wheeler era. Met I give you.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have only dipped into this thread a bit. So, apologies if this has already been mentioned.

What locomotives are Hatton's expecting people to haul these coaches with? There is not a lot out there.

I would expect the locos in the formation guide linked in the first post https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=867#formations

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, maico said:

CampingCoachesJune1948.jpg

Going back to the conversation earlier in this thread about there being a break in the running board and the conclusion that the running board would be continuous, even on a six-wheeler, and that Hattons had got it wrong, this picture illustrates that the running board was not continuous across the axle boxes, at least on some coaches.  Whether that would have changed if the coach was converted to a four-wheeler, I don't know. 

Regards

Roddy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

Going back to the conversation earlier in this thread about there being a break in the running board and the conclusion that the running board would be continuous, even on a six-wheeler, and that Hattons had got it wrong, this picture illustrates that the running board was not continuous across the axle boxes, at least on some coaches.  Whether that would have changed if the coach was converted to a four-wheeler, I don't know. 

Regards

Roddy

For me at least, the existence of exceptions does not justify making the generic exceptional.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I would expect the locos in the formation guide linked in the first post https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=867#formations

Thanks. had missed that table. But not very convincing.

One interesting suggestion there. Are we expecting that to be announced as an r-t-r locomotive?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

There were 2 when it was first made, so we can keep hoping that Hattons know something we don't

My betting is there was a bet on at Hattons as to which would appear first. I'd be pretty sure Dave won.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Pour encourager les autres.

Really, there's enough out there. For the first tranche of liveries, there are RTR passenger locomotives for the SECR, LBSCR, GNR, and LNWR (Coal Tanks being, despite their name, much used on passenger work). 

For the second tranche, I think only a Great Eastern locomotive is missing. Whether it's appropriate to string these carriages behind a Director is another question!

The third tranche is a bit more speculative - there's the TMC Class O promised, and the old Triang 123 - along with Rails' Caley 0-6-0, a mixed traffic engine. There are various SDJR or pseudo-SDJR locomotives but perhaps not quite appropriate to the 6-wheeler era. Met I give you.

There is the GER J15 and N7 classes. The former in particular was used on summer extra's right into the BR era often with a motley collection of four and six wheelers in tow. IIRC the GER had the greatest number of any company of four and six wheel stock at the grouping.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There is the GER J15 

But the model is, I am given to understand, an LNER J15, not a GER Y14, and consequently has never appeared in GER livery. So, good for the LNER brown liveried carriages but not the GER liveried carriages.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2